Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a photographer and filmer.
In a petrol-based car I sometimes use the car with a 12VDC to 230VAC inverter and run the engine.
I think it's better emissions control than a portable generator.

How does the 12VDC system work in the ID.3?
Is the 12V battery continuously charged from the main car battery if the "engine is running?"

Or is it a traditional generator/alternator that charges the 12V battery while the car is on the move?

·
676 Posts
There is a converter that takes power from the high voltage battery to charge/maintain the 12v battery; there is no generator.

Reactions: TPG

·
521 Posts
The 12V battery is charged as needed from the main car battery even if the "engine is not running". This was added in a recent update since the early ID.3 were having dead 12v batteries too often when just sitting parked, due to a low drain but always on portion of the electronics. You should be safe to run your inverter.

·
ID.4 FE GW
491 Posts
You can draw power from the 12V system while the HV system is powered on (car on).
I don't know what the power limit of the DC-DC converter is, but it could be a few kW in order to power the heater.

I have a 1500W inverter hooked up to the 12V battery on my Chevy Volt and it works fine on that car.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 12V battery is charged as needed from the main car battery even if the "engine is not running". This was added in a recent update since the early ID.3 were having dead 12v batteries too often when just sitting parked, due to a low drain but always on portion of the electronics. You should be safe to run your inverter.
Perfect, then there isn’t any need for a mobil generator when working in the field.
The power from the fuel car 12V system worked fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts