Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw on a previous post somewhere that it was mentioned (by a supposed good source) that 150KW fast DC charging was going to come via an OTA update.

While looking for my paint code (following another thread and I was curious), I found the sticker in the trunk that seems to line up with 150KW capability…..

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
213 Posts
Yeah that's the motor output.

The rumoured charge speed is 170 kW anyway.
How awesome would that be if they did that. This thing already charges faster than the Mustang Mach-E which is 150kW charging speed I can’t imagine if they move it to 170kW with favorable charge curves.

·
135 Posts
How awesome would that be if they did that. This thing already charges faster than the Mustang Mach-E which is 150kW charging speed I can’t imagine if they move it to 170kW with favorable charge curves.
That's a 36% max speed increase. Assuming that increase is maintained to 80% SOC, it would reduce the 0-80% charging time from 38 min to 25 min.

·
78 Posts
That's a 36% max speed increase. Assuming that increase is maintained to 80% SOC, it would reduce the 0-80% charging time from 38 min to 25 min.
I doubt it. I will most likely affect only when the battery is at lower levels ( 10-20%) In that case it will not have a major impact ( 3-5 minutes reduction in time?)

·
78 Posts
The motors in our RWD 201 HP ID.4s are rated 150kW output.
201hp is the same as 150kW. Folks are confusing battery capacity, motor output and charging speed.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
410 Posts
I hope we get the 170kW charging speed via OTA, and I hope the Mach-E gets an OTA to fix/improve their charging curve at its existing speeds. In the end, the faster everyone can be in and out of fast chargers, the more everyone benefits from the overall reduction of total time spent at a public charger.

·
81 Posts
I hope we get the 170kW charging speed via OTA, and I hope the Mach-E gets an OTA to fix/improve their charging curve at its existing speeds. In the end, the faster everyone can be in and out of fast chargers, the more everyone benefits from the overall reduction of total time spent at a public charger.
This is a great point. Fast charging helps everyone.

·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the post I read was based on this one…. I searched and couldn’t find the exact one that I read, but I remember someone saying the an future OTA would allow 150KW charging on our current vehicles. I am still looking for that discussion thread (it was probably buried in another topic somewhere).

I got everyone and understand that the sticker shows the electric motor capacity. So my connection was wrong - but I am still curious as to the OTA update possibility and feasibility.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
This is a great point. Fast charging helps everyone.
Right, and it has PR ripple effects.
A meaningful and useful update like this sends a clear signal to the broader market that these EVs improve over time, and it forces the other EV manufacturers to keep pace too. Ultimately, meaningful over the air updates will be broadly expected from EVs.
A second benefit is that updates like this help people understand that the charge duration is in flux (in a good way) and is getting better all the time.

In effect, manufacturers have a lot of power to counteract EV detractors.

·
526 Posts
The ID.4 max charge rate is going to be increased in a coming OTA update to 175kw according to multiple good sources (Dustin the director of e-mobility at VW in Kyle's vids; and Bjorn Nylands vids.)

·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The ID.4 max charge rate is going to be increased in a coming OTA update to 175kw according to multiple good sources (Dustin the director of e-mobility at VW in Kyle's vids; and Bjorn Nylands vids.)
There you go…

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
131 Posts
I would be happy to just consistently see 125kW charging each time I plug in to a fast charger below 30% SoC.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
189 Posts
the first update (2.2) this summer wont bump it till 175 170kw tho.. maybe 150kw for the 82 kwh battery. the big update after that (3.0) which will come at the end of this year (2021) they said they will look for the 175 170kW update if the first charge bump went well.

So when is 2.2 coming? The hints are pointing at 1 week before MY22 models gets build the OTA will be released for existing cars. Production of MY22 starts at 22 june [according to the rumours]. 1 week before is then 15 june.

so.. if the stars align. next update is in a month time and it may have a chargespeed bump.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts