Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a brief look at what the 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 has to offer.

2021 Volkswagen ID.4 | At A Glance
  • MSRP starts at $39,995 for ID.4 Pro before potential $7,500 Federal tax credit
  • Compact SUV will launch with rear-wheel drive 201-hp 82 kWh models; all- wheel-drive 82 kWh configuration available later this year
  • EPA-estimated 250 miles of range on Pro S and 1st Edition RWD models
  • Three years of fast charging with Electrify America at no additional cost Modern design pairs with high-tech features, like IQ.DRIVE® advanced driver assistance technology and a smart infotainment system, using voice and touch

RWD SpecificationsID.4 ProID.4 Pro S
(Statement)
ID.4 1st Edition
Starting MSRP
(Plus $1,195 destination)
$39,995$44,495$43,995
Motor TypePSM permanent magnet synchronousPSM permanent magnet synchronousPSM permanent magnet synchronous
Horsepower (SAE)201201201
Torque (lb-ft)229229229
High voltage battery typeLithium-ionLithium-ionLithium-ion
High voltage battery capacity (gross)82 kWh82 kWh82 kWh
High voltage battery capacity (net)77 kWh77 kWh77 kWh
AC onboard charger max acceptance rate11 kW11 kW11 kW
DC max acceptance rate125 kW125 kW125 kW
Curb weight (lbs)4,559 lb4,665 lb4,665 lb
EPA-estimated MPGe (City/Highway/Combined)TBD104/89/97104/89/97
EPA-estimated range (miles)TBD250250

“IQ.DRIVE”, “VW”, “Volkswagen”, all model names and the Volkswagen logo are registered trademarks of Volkswagen AG. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

This information and any vehicle specifications are preliminary and subject to change.

Features and technical data apply to models offered in the USA. They may differ in other countries.

All prices provided are the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price and exclude destination, taxes, title, other options and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price.

The anticipated tax credit mentioned is for informational purposes only. The ID.4 has not yet been certified as credit eligible by the IRS. This information does not constitute tax or legal advice. Any available credits apply only on the original purchase of a qualifying vehicle and are not available in a lease transaction. All persons considering use of available tax credits should consult a tax advisor to determine eligibility based on their specific tax situation. Tax credits are subject to various limitations not within Volkswagen's control and are subject to change without notice.

ID.4 Pro S and 1st Edition EPA estimates: 97 combined city/highway MPGe. EPA estimated total range is 250 miles. Your ability to complete trip as described will vary and depend on several factors including driving and charging habits, accessory use, temperature and topography, battery age, load, and vehicle condition, occupant count and cargo volume. Battery capacity decreases with time and use. See owner’s manual for details. Different vehicle variants, including AWD variants, will have different ranges.

3 years of unlimited charging on MY21 ID.4 vehicles begins upon vehicle purchase. Non-transferable. Not available for commercial use, such as ridesharing. Requires Electrify America account, app, enrollment in ID.4 Charging Plan, and acceptance of Terms of Use. After user-initiated charge session stop or vehicle reaches full charge, and 10-min grace period, Idle Fees will apply and user is responsible. In the event of suspected fraud or abuse or other unforeseen events, Volkswagen of America may discontinue or modify the offer in its sole discretion.

Driver-assistance features are not substitutes for attentive driving. See Owner’s Manual for further details, and important limitations.

Attachments

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
Does anyone know if the AWD variant will also have the permanent magnet synchronous motor for the front? Also, as the ID.4 can coast in "D," how is the PMSM decoupled?

Reactions: MCheiron

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Does anyone know if the AWD variant will also have the permanent magnet synchronous motor for the front? Also, as the ID.4 can coast in "D," how is the PMSM decoupled?
PMSM?

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
701 Posts
Also, as the ID.4 can coast in "D," how is the PMSM decoupled?
The ID.4 has an electronic differential. This is how it can regulate traction in curves and direct more torque to the outside wheel. I am guessing this device or the gearbox right next to it disengages for coasting.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
The ID.4 has an electronic differential. This is how it can regulate traction in curves and direct more torque to the outside wheel. I am guessing this device or the gearbox right next to it disengages for coasting.
The ID.4 has XDS, which other VW's such as the GTI and GLI have. It's a brake-based traction control system that tries to mimic a limited slip differential. I'm far from an electrical engineer, so I don't know how to explain the how, but I'm guessing the motor goes into "neutral," similar to how the car can actually be put in neutral despite there being a constant mechanical connection between the motor and the output shafts. I'd be very surprised if there's any type of mechanical disconnect involved at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts