Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The soon to be released 2022 Bolt EUV may put price pressure on the ID.4. The form-factor is long roof CUV like the ID.4 and slightly larger than the standard Bolt. MSRP is to be $33,995. It has a 250 mi range to continue the comparison to the ID.4. What it does NOT have is current eligibility for the Fed TC, making the ultimate cost currently about the same, but that is likely to change with upcoming legislation. I'm quite sure that the Bolt EUV will not compare to the ID.4 in many other ways, but VW has said their target buyer is the person who currently buys the Asian brands. GM is now in the game with an SUV-shape like the ID.4. I do not have an immediate need for my FE, currently on order. I will probably do a test drive, but odds are I will not take delivery because a major price drop for the ID.4 is likely once the Bolt hits dealers and TC's are extended. IMO GM is unlikely to raise prices if TC's are extended (unlike Tesla). With a TC, it'll cost about $27K v. $32.5 for the base ID.4 and $5.5K can make up for a LOT of missing Bling. First movers on the ID.4 will be sorta like the Tesla M-Y recent purchasers that just missed out on a $2K price drop. A we used to say in my Vietnam days: "Sin Loi", or sorry about that.

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
I always find it funny how much people react when Tesla changes their price even small amounts. No one ever seems to mention anything about cash incentives other manufactures offer that constantly change as well negotiations off of MSRP. Naturally, any new car (EV or ICE) will hold closer to MSRP than cars that have been around a while. Go to chevy.com and they are offering the current Bolt at $15k below MSRP (and that's without negotiating).

I am sure there are price-conscious people that would look at the EUV but the EUV will not put price pressure on the ID.4. The base model is cheaper but to get features close to the ID.4, you would need to go to the Premier version which is only $1,500 less than the ID.4 (and still a different class than the ID.4).

Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
Interesting arguments on both sides. My main concern is the 50-55 kW DC charging limit. 50 kW was great in 2017, but out of sync in 2021. I was really interested in the Bolt EUV when it was announced until rumors surfaced (and now confirmed) that battery and charging would not change at all.

ID.4 FE GW
The Bolt and Bolt EUV also have limited cargo capacity, and that prevents me from considering them. The ID.4 cargo volume is also limited to that of my current Toyota RAV4EV, but the ID.4 is "the best of a bad lot" in that respect.

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't buy a Bolt EUV, but am concerned that VW may respond with a price cut--but perhaps only with the TN production. I'm in the fortunate position to not need to make a decision, now. The cost to me is missing on the $3K discount on the loaded FE, but even that is not a killer as I really prefer 19" wheels and don't care about the glass roof and hitch.

2021 First Edition
The ID.4 cargo volume is also limited to that of my current Toyota RAV4EV, but the ID.4 is "the best of a bad lot" in that respect.
I just sold my RAV4 EV in anticipation of the ID.4. The RAV4 had so much room, it was great.. Gonna miss that side open door as well.

2021 First Edition
Interesting arguments on both sides. My main concern is the 50-55 kW DC charging limit. 50 kW was great in 2017, but out of sync in 2021. I was really interested in the Bolt EUV when it was announced until rumors surfaced (and now confirmed) that battery and charging would not change at all.
Charge speed is a big concern. That said, about 70-80% of the chargers here in Los Angeles are 50kw, so it kind of evens the playing field. For now, at least.

I wonder if 2023/24 versions will have a charging upgrade. Seems like the next logical step to keep the brand fresh.

I almost never charge on the road so could care less about charge speed. In a decade of driving EVs, maybe 50 times. Just not a big deal to me.

ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
I road trip and do so in my current 2020 bolt and the 55kW charging is a hindrance. I can鈥檛 eat to road trip in the ID.4.

They are doable in the Bolt but it just adds a ton of time.

Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
I have a 2019 Bolt EV, it's not bad. Well, except the SEATS! :) Road trips are a pain with the charge times; 1 hour stops, minimum. So, very excited for ID.4 and the summer trip to Canada and a shorter road trip time. I was excited about the EUV, however the smaller cargo size and slower charging is disappointing. But, the ID.4 doesn't have one pedal driving, which I love in my Bolt. I also much prefer push buttons and knobs of the Bolt/EUV which the ID.4 does not have. Give and take everywhere...

Reactions: ChristophW

Premium Member
In February, 2021 I placed a deposit for a Bolt EUV Launch Edition sight unseen. A short time thereafter I received the full specifications from GM. We had owned a 2013 Ford C-Max and thought it too small for us, two larger humans. When I read the EUV's size specs my jaw dropped. The EUV is actually smaller than was the C-Max. Then we saw and drove the ID.4. I immediately cancelled the EUV. A couple of weeks later we ordered our now Pro S Gradient and have not looked back. Several of the YouTube Bolt EUV videos posted by dealer sales people reveal the lack of rear seat head room. That would have been a disaster as we have 6'3" son and 6'4" we regularly have in the back seat. The ID.4 is spacious and comfortable with four tall humans on board.

...r as we have 6'3" son and 6'4" we regularly have in the back seat. The ID.4 is spacious and comfortable with four tall humans on board.
True that! I am 6'5" and very comfortable in the ID4 back seat. I always check the back seat first when looking at a car to buy - no headroom, no deal, simple as that. Car salespeople almost lose it when I refuse the gallantly opened driver's front door and the cool stuff to be seen there and head for the back instead.

True that! I am 6'5" and very comfortable in the ID4 back seat. I always check the back seat first when looking at a car to buy - no headroom, no deal, simple as that. Car salespeople almost lose it when I refuse the gallantly opened driver's front door and the cool stuff to be seen there and head for the back instead.
I'm in your boat but 6'3". However, I do check the second row seats first. That's one of the handful of reasons the Mach E was a non-starter for me. The ID4 is very spacious and really is a true SUV-type EV unlike the Mach E and even Model Y (though the MY does provide good second row room).

2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
IMO the Bolt EUV and the ID.4 are clearly not in the same class. The ID.4 has literally double the cargo space with the seats up. There's no real reason why the existence of the Bolt EUV should put downward price pressure on the ID.4.

IMO the Bolt EUV and the ID.4 are clearly not in the same class. The ID.4 has literally double the cargo space with the seats up. There's no real reason why the existence of the Bolt EUV should put downward price pressure on the ID.4.
What's more, if you want a Bolt with lane assist (aka SuperCruise), you have to get the EUV upper trim and add it as the SuperCruise option pushing the price over $40k. When I was picking an EV I had lane assist as a core requirement and so it was a no-brainer to pick the ID.4 Pro over the Bolt EUV. The ID.4 Pro is way better in almost every way over a Bolt EUV and about $8K cheaper once you factor in the federal tax credit.

2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
What's more, if you want a Bolt with lane assist (aka SuperCruise), you have to get the EUV upper trim and add it as the SuperCruise option pushing the price over $40k. When I was picking an EV I had lane assist as a core requirement and so it was a no-brainer to pick the ID.4 Pro over the Bolt EUV. The ID.4 Pro is way better in almost every way over a Bolt EUV and about $8K cheaper once you factor in the federal tax credit.
I'm pretty sure you can get basic ACC (not SuperCruise) on the Bolt EV, can't you?

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
The old Bolt was known for having rather uncomfortable seats. If they didn't fix at least that much, I can't see it being very strong competition to the ID.4.

I had been looking at the old Bolt, but even in late 2019 50 kW seemed low. Same for the Kia Niro and Hyundai Kona, actually.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts