Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The soon to be released 2022 Bolt EUV may put price pressure on the ID.4. The form-factor is long roof CUV like the ID.4 and slightly larger than the standard Bolt. MSRP is to be $33,995. It has a 250 mi range to continue the comparison to the ID.4. What it does NOT have is current eligibility for the Fed TC, making the ultimate cost currently about the same, but that is likely to change with upcoming legislation. I'm quite sure that the Bolt EUV will not compare to the ID.4 in many other ways, but VW has said their target buyer is the person who currently buys the Asian brands. GM is now in the game with an SUV-shape like the ID.4. I do not have an immediate need for my FE, currently on order. I will probably do a test drive, but odds are I will not take delivery because a major price drop for the ID.4 is likely once the Bolt hits dealers and TC's are extended. IMO GM is unlikely to raise prices if TC's are extended (unlike Tesla). With a TC, it'll cost about $27K v. $32.5 for the base ID.4 and $5.5K can make up for a LOT of missing Bling. First movers on the ID.4 will be sorta like the Tesla M-Y recent purchasers that just missed out on a $2K price drop. A we used to say in my Vietnam days: "Sin Loi", or sorry about that.

·
270 Posts
I always find it funny how much people react when Tesla changes their price even small amounts. No one ever seems to mention anything about cash incentives other manufactures offer that constantly change as well negotiations off of MSRP. Naturally, any new car (EV or ICE) will hold closer to MSRP than cars that have been around a while. Go to chevy.com and they are offering the current Bolt at $15k below MSRP (and that's without negotiating).

I am sure there are price-conscious people that would look at the EUV but the EUV will not put price pressure on the ID.4. The base model is cheaper but to get features close to the ID.4, you would need to go to the Premier version which is only $1,500 less than the ID.4 (and still a different class than the ID.4).

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
199 Posts
Interesting arguments on both sides. My main concern is the 50-55 kW DC charging limit. 50 kW was great in 2017, but out of sync in 2021. I was really interested in the Bolt EUV when it was announced until rumors surfaced (and now confirmed) that battery and charging would not change at all.

·
7 Posts
The Bolt and Bolt EUV also have limited cargo capacity, and that prevents me from considering them. The ID.4 cargo volume is also limited to that of my current Toyota RAV4EV, but the ID.4 is "the best of a bad lot" in that respect.

·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't buy a Bolt EUV, but am concerned that VW may respond with a price cut--but perhaps only with the TN production. I'm in the fortunate position to not need to make a decision, now. The cost to me is missing on the $3K discount on the loaded FE, but even that is not a killer as I really prefer 19" wheels and don't care about the glass roof and hitch.

·
61 Posts
The ID.4 cargo volume is also limited to that of my current Toyota RAV4EV, but the ID.4 is "the best of a bad lot" in that respect.
I just sold my RAV4 EV in anticipation of the ID.4. The RAV4 had so much room, it was great.. Gonna miss that side open door as well.

·
61 Posts
Interesting arguments on both sides. My main concern is the 50-55 kW DC charging limit. 50 kW was great in 2017, but out of sync in 2021. I was really interested in the Bolt EUV when it was announced until rumors surfaced (and now confirmed) that battery and charging would not change at all.
Charge speed is a big concern. That said, about 70-80% of the chargers here in Los Angeles are 50kw, so it kind of evens the playing field. For now, at least.

I wonder if 2023/24 versions will have a charging upgrade. Seems like the next logical step to keep the brand fresh.

·
57 Posts
I almost never charge on the road so could care less about charge speed. In a decade of driving EVs, maybe 50 times. Just not a big deal to me.

·
11 Posts
I road trip and do so in my current 2020 bolt and the 55kW charging is a hindrance. I can’t eat to road trip in the ID.4.

They are doable in the Bolt but it just adds a ton of time.

·
5 Posts
I have a 2019 Bolt EV, it's not bad. Well, except the SEATS! :) Road trips are a pain with the charge times; 1 hour stops, minimum. So, very excited for ID.4 and the summer trip to Canada and a shorter road trip time. I was excited about the EUV, however the smaller cargo size and slower charging is disappointing. But, the ID.4 doesn't have one pedal driving, which I love in my Bolt. I also much prefer push buttons and knobs of the Bolt/EUV which the ID.4 does not have. Give and take everywhere...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts