Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reached out to VW this morning to ask if I would automatically be changed to a 2023 model since mine was supposed to arrive in Oct/Nov. They indicated I would be getting a 2022 model from Germany vs a 2023 from Chattanooga. I was told if I cancelled my reservation for the 2022 and ordered a 2023 it would likely be a 6-8 months before I received a car.

What is everyone else hearing?

(8/5/2022, 10:28:03 AM): I have a Id.4 ordered that is scheduled to arrive Oct/Nov. I saw yesterday that the 2023 model comes out at the same time. Am I going to automatically get a 2023 or is there a way for me to get a 2023 instead of a 2022?
Live Chat - Nick (8/5/2022, 10:31:10 AM): Thank you for reaching out about your reservation. Your reservation would be a 2022 model built in Germany and not a 2023 model. reservations for the 2023 model have just started this week. I am sorry that your ID.4 would not be able to be changed as it has been locked in as a 2022 model. If you would like a 2023 model you would need to cancel your reservation for the 2022 model and place a new reservation.
(8/5/2022, 10:31:57 AM): Would I get a car about the same time if I ordered now?
Live Chat - Nick (8/5/2022, 10:34:27 AM): I am sorry no. production has not started for the 2023 reservations just yet. It would take a possible 6 to 8 months to arrive.

·
Locked 7/13 White/ProS-G/AWD
46 Posts
My reservation, along with others on this forum, showed a Q4 2022 delivery estimate for the 2023 model. I wonder what reservations done today are showing as an estimate. I want a 2023 but am not willing to wait another eight months for it.

·
77 Posts
I reached out to VW this morning to ask if I would automatically be changed to a 2023 model since mine was supposed to arrive in Oct/Nov. They indicated I would be getting a 2022 model from Germany vs a 2023 from Chattanooga. I was told if I cancelled my reservation for the 2022 and ordered a 2023 it would likely be a 6-8 months before I received a car.

What is everyone else hearing?

(8/5/2022, 10:28:03 AM): I have a Id.4 ordered that is scheduled to arrive Oct/Nov. I saw yesterday that the 2023 model comes out at the same time. Am I going to automatically get a 2023 or is there a way for me to get a 2023 instead of a 2022?
Live Chat - Nick (8/5/2022, 10:31:10 AM): Thank you for reaching out about your reservation. Your reservation would be a 2022 model built in Germany and not a 2023 model. reservations for the 2023 model have just started this week. I am sorry that your ID.4 would not be able to be changed as it has been locked in as a 2022 model. If you would like a 2023 model you would need to cancel your reservation for the 2022 model and place a new reservation.
(8/5/2022, 10:31:57 AM): Would I get a car about the same time if I ordered now?
Live Chat - Nick (8/5/2022, 10:34:27 AM): I am sorry no. production has not started for the 2023 reservations just yet. It would take a possible 6 to 8 months to arrive.
Frustrating, but may be worth making the change and waiting, or, talk to your salesman and see if they have any 2023s coming that they would be willing to sell to you if you keep your 2022 reservation and let them have it to see when it arrives.

·
2 Posts
I am also a July lock and the advocate sent me the email below basically telling me the same thing they told you. What's strange is that looking through the dev code my delivery estimate says "null." So who knows....

Hello
I really appreciate your patience while we worked to get the site back up and running. Looking at your reservation, your order was locked before August, on 7/7/2022. You will receive a 2022 and not eligible to switch to a 2023, I'm very sorry! Your reservation shows that your order is confirmed. The Est Delivery of your ID.4 is Oct 2022 - Nov 2022. Please understand that an ETA is just an ETA which can be affected by supply shortages and production delays due to the evolving situation in Ukraine. You will be emailed once your ID.4 has been delivered. This is all the information that we have to provide.
Best,
Jamisha K.
Digital Operations Advocate, Volkswagen Customer CARE

·
8 Posts
I have the same problem in Canada, My dealer tell me its gonna be built in Chattanooga but tells me its going to be a 2022 entering production in 2 weeks, I see everywhere that they only do 2023 in USA but I would really want to change my interior color from grey 2022 to galaxy 2023...... I cant get help from VW canada, looks like they wont even try...

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2022 locked in July that’s “supposed” to be here in Oct/Nov. i also have a 2023 ordered but not locked. I think I’m going to take whichever gets here first.
I live in Atlanta, not too far from Chattanooga. Seems crazy that a 2022 built in Germany will make it here before a 2023 built in Tennessee that is up and running now.

·
23 Posts
I have a 2022 locked in July that’s “supposed” to be here in Oct/Nov. i also have a 2023 ordered but not locked. I think I’m going to take whichever gets here first.
I live in Atlanta, not too far from Chattanooga. Seems crazy that a 2022 built in Germany will make it here before a 2023 built in Tennessee that is up and running now.
Yeah, I'm in the Atlanta area too. Seems like a dumb logistical/business move to send a less expensive 2022 across the Atlantic at great expense when they could sell me a more expensive 2023 vehicle that could be loaded directly onto a truck and driven 125 miles down the highway to Atlanta. Must be a challenge to make a profit, if that's how your logistics system operates.

PS... I'm locked since 7/13/2022 and sitting at status 03, so the car is not scheduled yet for production.

·
71 Posts
Just got off a chat with a VW rep about my 22 reservation. They stated my ID4 will be a 22 model built in Germany as ordered.

So my questions are:

1) it’s August, VW’s traditional new year for MY 23. Should I expect a Production and 22 VIN lock shortly?
2) Does VW have some stockpiled 22’s somewhere and they just need to tag an existing VIN to our orders?
3) Do they have the ability to produce enough 22s to satisfy the current 7/13 lock and older wait list before the end of the month?
4) I'm sure cancellation shuffle is daunting, I wonder how that would benefit some people on the 22 waiting list? Would they hope a lot of people defect to the 23MY?
5) If they can't satisfy the wait list of 22s, then what?
6) Will German MY23 ID4 continue on with the current 22 specs, colors and trim?
7) Will VW offer a Point of Sale rebate on the 22?

I like the 22 Lunar Grey Interior. I'm not thrilled about the 23.

22 Pro S awd vs 23 Pro S awd

Pros for the US 23:
Battery Pack (probably SK).
DC Fast Charge Max, increase from 135kW to 170kW and shorter charge times?
Better rear tail lights and a lighted rear logo
Another 20" wheel version
Has a Blue similar to what I have in the car I have now
Supporting US Auto Workers

Pros for the German 22
Lower Price
Now a model year old, would it have better resale for quite a while?
Gradient Package
Better Lunar Grey Interior
LG Batteries

Cons for the US 23
Gradient Package Deleted, have to go to Pro S Plus to get gradient and a lot more options
Blue and Lunar Grey with White Steering Wheel and Trim and not the 22 Lunar Grey interior

Cons for the German 22
Slower Max Charging Rate
No rear lighted emblem

It's like buying an iPhone. Is my 6s still relevant and works? Yes. Was my 10s better? in some ways yes. Is an iPhone 14 enough to make me switch? eh.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,124 Posts
Larger Battery Pack (probably SK). increase from 77kW to 82kW and longer range
This is wrong, they are both 82kwh gross, and 77kwh usable. The 2023 estimated EPA range for the Pro RWD went down from 280 to 275, and the AWD Pro barely changed from 251 to 255.

·
71 Posts
I will make the correction...From what you've seen on range, the 22 LG set up is better. With the battery pack size clarification, price increase and SK batteries new to the ID4, I'll keep my reservation for my 22 and hope for the best.

·
75 Posts
I have the same problem in Canada, My dealer tell me its gonna be built in Chattanooga but tells me its going to be a 2022 entering production in 2 weeks, I see everywhere that they only do 2023 in USA but I would really want to change my interior color from grey 2022 to galaxy 2023...... I cant get help from VW canada, looks like they wont even try...
Im in the same boat as you. As far as my dealership knows, I'm still getting a 2022 around the same time as you. I'm glad that I'll be able to keep my dusk blue.

·
52 Posts
I will make the correction...From what you've seen on range, the 22 LG set up is better. With the battery pack size clarification, price increase and SK batteries new to the ID4, I'll keep my reservation for my 22 and hope for the best.
The reduction in range may well be a function of different wheel sizes, rather than battery chemistry. That said, I’m likely to stick with my 2022 precisely because the Pro S comes with the more efficient and comfortable 19-inch wheels, rather than the bigger wheels on the 2023.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts