Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Blue AWD Pro S
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I noticed that no one had really logged a full charge yet on the new ID4 curve and so I decided to do a little fun testing and I created these two graphs

Some observations:
  • I brought the car down to a display reported 5% SOC (although interestingly the BMS holds out an extra 5% and reported 10% to my app, while the car wasn't giving me full power it did not enter "turtle mode"
  • I instantly observed speeds over 140kW (it was warm though and I was running the AC compressor so I do imagine the car took its full 135kW with the remainder going to overhead)
  • The battery pack did slowly climb to 125F / 51C, its hard to say 1:1 that this temp increase lowered the charge rate but it did not achieve its original advertised promise
  • 5-80% took me the original pre-update 38 minutes, I observed the new speed but the throttle down was more steep than on my '21 car I tested
  • From a "display" SOC perspective this was 5-91%, from a BMS perspective this was 10-88%, always interesting to see the difference
  • Finally, just a sample of the new ACTUALLY VALUABLE charging screen you get to see during fast charging
  • On the graphs I forgot to label the axis, but the X axis is minutes charging
  • Ecoregion Rectangle Slope Plot Font
  • Slope Rectangle Plot Font Parallel
  • Car Vehicle Tire Gadget Automotive design

·
2,518 Posts
Do you have another informations like
Module temperatures
Battery coolant loop temperatures
Battery pump duty
Module average temperatures
Cells delta V
Wh count that actually was delivered to HV DC battery.
All of this pids can seen by carscanner or obdeleven.

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
969 Posts
Great from 0% to 25%, sucks from 25-50%, and ok from 50% up. Interesting data. I would hope that they continue to make refinements in the curve with successive software versions. I'd love to see better performance between 25-50%, as that is an area I watched closely during a road trip last month.

·
2,518 Posts
Like what @SunWizard posted. To see full energy rooted to other energy users, you will need pid for compressor and pid for 12V battery energy demand. This will give you very accurate information. Also to remember EA reports all efficiency losses ( coolant pump for cooling cable and stationary converter box, EA efficiency losses and etc) to the user interface and persona that is charging is billed for. So looking just by EA screen changing speed is not true picture of what you really getting to the speed at the plug.

·
2,518 Posts
I have a feeling you were thermally throttled from 25% onward. We will find out when others do a full charge with 3.x software. Kyle Connor seems to think that running cabin AC can take away battery cooling capacity on a variety of cars. Makes sense to me.
I would not called thermally throttled down... BMS is just adjusting speed if battery coolant is not shaving heat fast enough. If you blasting full fan speed cabin cooling this will definitely alarm BMS if it see input and output sensor coolant temperatures with modules not dropping or maintain temperature within threshold levels.

·
23 Posts
Interesting for me;
Yesterday I started DCFC at 5%, after driving for 2 hours. AC blasting and 100F in central California. Started at 166kw and was above 150kw fow at least 5-10 minutes.
It slowly came down to 87kw at 25%
5%----->71% in 30 minutes.
Gesture Automotive mirror Window Font Display device

·
2,518 Posts
I have Tesla S long range for observation and it is doing similar things if this scenario what I posted above is preformed. If you want to avoid this from happening and need cooling for cabin keep it on auto if vehicle was already cooled down before entering fast DC charging or if not switch to manual and keep it on low speed ( it will cool same way but will take little longer to achieve set temperature).
Blaming the vehicle but not actually understood how battery management works is bad advertising from many YouTube channels.

·
107 Posts
In using car scanner app, I saw the A/C compressor also start at around 5 kW, but once the cabin reaches the set temperature I see the power usage fall all the way down to 0.8 to 1.0 kW. The cabin fan does not appear to use more than 0.15 kW max. Headlights use about 0.1 kW.

5500 watts for the AC compressor on full. Add 1000 watts for the coolant pumps, radiator and cabin fans, and computers. This is from my watching the watts with car scanner.

·
2,518 Posts
In using car scanner app, I saw the A/C compressor also start at around 5 kW, but once the cabin reaches the set temperature I see the power usage fall all the way down to 0.8 to 1.0 kW. The cabin fan does not appear to use more than 0.15 kW max. Headlights use about 0.1 kW.
When DC charging and depending on outside temperature ( if it is needed compressor will be more aggressive to keep battery temperature in check for highest charging speed set by BMS algorithm), it will draw way more power.

·
442 Posts
Hi all, I noticed that no one had really logged a full charge yet on the new ID4 curve and so I decided to do a little fun testing and I created these two graphs

Some observations:
  • I brought the car down to a display reported 5% SOC (although interestingly the BMS holds out an extra 5% and reported 10% to my app, while the car wasn't giving me full power it did not enter "turtle mode"
  • I instantly observed speeds over 140kW (it was warm though and I was running the AC compressor so I do imagine the car took its full 135kW with the remainder going to overhead)
  • The battery pack did slowly climb to 125F / 51C, its hard to say 1:1 that this temp increase lowered the charge rate but it did not achieve its original advertised promise
  • 5-80% took me the original pre-update 38 minutes, I observed the new speed but the throttle down was more steep than on my '21 car I tested
  • From a "display" SOC perspective this was 5-91%, from a BMS perspective this was 10-88%, always interesting to see the difference
  • Finally, just a sample of the new ACTUALLY VALUABLE charging screen you get to see during fast charging
  • View attachment 13682
  • View attachment 13683
  • View attachment 13684
Wow, so so the free 30 min gets you 5-70%. So you would be paying 20% SOC.

·
(Reserved) 2023 AWD Pro S Plus
102 Posts
I would not called thermally throttled down... BMS is just adjusting speed if battery coolant is not shaving heat fast enough. If you blasting full fan speed cabin cooling this will definitely alarm BMS if it see input and output sensor coolant temperatures with modules not dropping or maintain temperature within threshold levels.
Having a nuanced conversation about thermal management with average drivers is going to be rough for a while, if it's ever possible. "Thermal throttling" is shorthand for "thermal related, going slower than I expect" in the PC space, so I would not be surprised if the shorthand takes hold with EVs as well.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride, I guess. I gave up trying to educate on this topic in the PC space years ago.

·
887 Posts

Some observations:
  • View attachment 13682
  • View attachment 13683
  • View attachment 13684
Which software level are you on?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts