Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
2023 ID.4 AWD Pro S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like others here, I checked my VIN against https://www.vw.com/en/recalls.html and 2023 VOLKSWAGEN ID.4 SUV AWD | NHTSA when it was reported earlier there was a recall on the 2023 ID.4 and got nothing.

Yesterday, opened MyVW and the service tab showed I had the recall and when I went back to those sites and plugged in the VIN, it indeed showed up. I have < 500 miles and still have temporary plates, so yeah, not too happy. Dealer says they had no additional info and no remedy is available.

The recall notice makes it sound like they may need to 'replace the motor', but I'm not sure what exactly that means. An AWD has a motor at each wheel, right? So that means replacing four motors potentially? Anyone with knowledge of this car know how difficult the disassembly is to do this? Should I expect a dealer to do this reasonably well without messing something up?

·
2,134 Posts
Like others here, I checked my VIN against https://www.vw.com/en/recalls.html and 2023 VOLKSWAGEN ID.4 SUV AWD | NHTSA when it was reported earlier there was a recall on the 2023 ID.4 and got nothing.

Yesterday, opened MyVW and the service tab showed I had the recall and when I went back to those sites and plugged in the VIN, it indeed showed up. I have < 500 miles and still have temporary plates, so yeah, not too happy. Dealer says they had no additional info and no remedy is available.

The recall notice makes it sound like they may need to 'replace the motor', but I'm not sure what exactly that means. An AWD has a motor at each wheel, right? So that means replacing four motors potentially? Anyone with knowledge of this car know how difficult the disassembly is to do this? Should I expect a dealer to do this reasonably well without messing something up?
No, AWD has 2 motors, not 4

·
1,762 Posts
I think that's a slight exaggeration. Three times easier? Five times easier? But there are still lots of mounting members, electrical connections, liquid cooling lines, two half-shafts and the like, no?
Yes, I was using hyperbole! But much, much easier…

Reactions: JnArango

·
'22 ID.4 Pro S AWD
321 Posts
I think that's a slight exaggeration. Three times easier? Five times easier? But there are still lots of mounting members, electrical connections, liquid cooling lines, two half-shafts and the like, no?
Well, half-shafts probably attach to the transmission. Not sure if it's an integrated unit.
The question is, was a mechanic in the room during design...

·
2023 ID.4 AWD Pro S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
How are folks reading this as just the rear motor - is that implied by the description of the cooling or seals?

Reading the description, would you be concerned about continuing to drive the car while waiting?

·
20 Posts
Dealer called and almost stopped the sale of our vehicle (I had him double checked and the VIN wasn't in the recall). He did get information that they don't have an ETA for a fix for those impacted. YMMV cause he seemed really ill-informed.

·
476 Posts
How are folks reading this as just the rear motor - is that implied by the description of the cooling or seals?

Reading the description, would you be concerned about continuing to drive the car while waiting?
That would depend upon how you feel about your car being left on the road dead, wouldn't it? This fault, if it occurs, can disable operation. But it may not occur.

·
39 Posts
Checked 1761 again and no recall showing. Hopefully that means no delays accepting delivery tomorrow.

·
3,109 Posts
All I can suggest is to keep eyes on coolant reservoir level. Mark it with black marker if this is easier to watch overtime. If you see drop in coolant level overtime......consider as soon as possible service attention. All affected owners should get in contact with service department and VW customer support and keep checking more often about remedy getting to the VW service department so it can be replaced.

·
200 Posts
How serious and widespread is this issue? Would those that are coming off the line recently be impacted? I am hoping to grab one of the cancellations between now and the end of the year, but might need to reconsider if it's a potentially serious issue. TIA.

GR

·
3,109 Posts
How serious and widespread is this issue? Would those that are coming off the line recently be impacted? I am hoping to grab one of the cancellations between now and the end of the year, but might need to reconsider if it's a potentially serious issue. TIA.

GR
Propulsion units are not not assembled at the factory line where vehicles are assembled. As VW pointed out they know exact number of vehicles affected. Even if this happens under warranty some time after purchase you will get new Propulsion unit ( transmission and motor as complete unit)

·
16 Posts
So I know there is still a lot of unknowns regarding this recall, but as a general matter, how long does it take a tech to replace a propulsion unit? My service rep called me about something else and he put me down for a tentative appointment in a month in case the recall is good to go by then, but it's the week before Christmas so I wanted to plan ahead. Coming from ICE cars it sounds like a big deal, but I could see how it might be a much simpler task on EVs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts