Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the trope, owners experiencing problems share them on forums. The corollary: nobody logs on to report everything is hunky-dory.

Well we (my wife, mainly) just hit 30 days of ownership so I'm reporting in: the ID.4 is doing great. Fun to drive, charges reliably, nothing more than what either of us regard as tolerable software bugs to note (which I've posted). We're both still enthusiastic about this vehicle that wasn't even on our radar 2 months ago.

Ours is no. 8200 on the VIN and built in February.

Not to take away from owners who have shared serious, regrettable issues they're dealing with. My sense is these "bad cases" are few and far between, but get a disproportionate amount of (not unwarranted) attention.

Who else is rocking 30 days and still smiling?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
410 Posts
30 days and nearly 3,000 miles here. 3 road trips with supercharging as well as commuting and zero issues. Going in for double check this week. Love the car!
Man I really wish we had some other snazzy marketable word like "supercharger" that the non-Tesla charging companies would agree on and start using. "Fast charger" sorta works, except that it sounds a little too normal imo, plus the early "fast charging" stations were quite far from being anywhere near as fast as superchargers, so calling both a 50 kW (or even slower in some cases) and a 350 kW station the same thing feels a bit wrong.

Hmm...maybe like, hypercharger? Sounds too gimmicky I guess. Megacharger?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
~7 weeks now and thoroughly enjoying. Minor issues reported elsewhere and all resolved/worked around.
Beach road is now open. Post-walk in this early morn 50 degf I thankfully requested "Hello ID, my hands are cold." :)
IMG_2438.jpeg

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
Man I really wish we had some other snazzy marketable word like "supercharger" that the non-Tesla charging companies would agree on and start using. "Fast charger" sorta works, except that it sounds a little too normal imo, plus the early "fast charging" stations were quite far from being anywhere near as fast as superchargers, so calling both a 50 kW (or even slower in some cases) and a 350 kW station the same thing feels a bit wrong.

Hmm...maybe like, hypercharger? Sounds too gimmicky I guess. Megacharger?
‘R’ charging? As in, VW’s .:R performance branding?

·
175 Posts
30 days and nearly 3,000 miles here. 3 road trips with supercharging as well as commuting and zero issues. Going in for double check this week. Love the car!
We are only two weeks in but love the car. So far used it for commute on the highway speeds between 75 and 80. Still maintaining 240 miles on 80 percent charge. No software issues no problems. Haven’t used a supercharger yet, have charged at home on the juice box 40, goes from 10 percent to 80 in just under 5 hours. Love the car quick,nimble and fun to drive.

·
22 Posts
Also have a Feb build. We just did a 500mile road trip in Baja no issues with dust, seals, suspension. Threw away the useless and heavy trunk shelf, this made a huge difference since the standard configuration gave us less trunk volume than our Leaf (significantly less).

The two issues: door locking logic is driving my wife insane to the point she doesn’t want to use the car, it locks random doors and opens others, always locks the charging head (for no reason) even if the keys are close. Second, more minor issue is that the voice commands don’t really do anything we want it to, haven’t yet got it to work a single time not to map to an address nor to change a veihcle setting.

·
100 Posts
Just over the 30-day mark here. The car has been a joy to drive. The only annoyance is the well documented issue with scheduled charging but that's easily worked around.
The more time I spend with the car the more I appreciate the layout of the interior. The instrument screen on the steering column presents the necessary driving information clearly and without any clutter. The center screen places everything else within my field of view and within reach. No need to look down at knee level for any controls. I have customized two widget screens to my preferences and I am able to easily switch between them using the hand gesture. The overall driving experience is very relaxing.

·
55 Posts
I've had mine 5 weeks, just got back from a 1200+ mile trip. Used 8 different EA fast chargers. All but one worked perfectly. The one that was glitchy took a call to EA support and got worked out quickly. They are very friendly and helpful. Car keeps humming along. Some minor infotainment quirks but that's about it. Love driving it.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
We are only two and a half weeks in but love the car. Easy and relaxing to drive, and zero issues with that. This car is not going to leave us anytime soon!
We use mostly CarPlay, so the software issues are not really getting in our way. It helps to leave most settings at their default.

Highlights: Quiet ride, precise steering, (almost) everything in line of sight, roomy interior, seat presets, sunroof with shade.

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
Well we (my wife, mainly) just hit 30 days of ownership so I'm reporting in: the ID.4 is doing great. Fun to drive, charges reliably, nothing more than what either of us regard as tolerable software bugs to note (which I've posted).
Thanks for your report.

Does delayed charging with a set departure time work for you - has it ever charged to the specified SOC by the set departure time?

·
30 Posts
We are only two and a half weeks in but love the car. Easy and relaxing to drive, and zero issues with that. This car is not going to leave us anytime soon!
We use mostly CarPlay, so the software issues are not really getting in our way. It helps to leave most settings at their default.

Highlights: Quiet ride, precise steering, (almost) everything in line of sight, roomy interior, seat presets, sunroof with shade.
Same great experience for me- Love the Car!!

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TPG, no disrespect, you've documented this problem admirably in plenty of other posts, I didn't intend this to be a troubleshooting thread. Nor am I trying to cancel your complaint. I plug the ID.4 in, it has charged every time to the set percentage. I have no need for scheduled charging at the moment, and aren't even planning to mess when it until you or somebody else reports its fixed.

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
TPG, no disrespect, you've documented this problem admirably in plenty of other posts, I didn't intend this to be a troubleshooting thread. Nor am I trying to cancel your complaint. I plug the ID.4 in, it has charged every time to the set percentage. I have no need for scheduled charging at the moment, and aren't even planning to mess when it until you or somebody else reports its fixed.
Thanks for the quick reply with the helpful info @Nai3t. I asked about whether delayed charging worked because you reported no problems with charging. Your helpful response is consistent with data from all other ID.4 cars so far - there is no reported case of the delayed / departure time charging working correctly.

Do you not have a time-of-use electric rate plan? I see that you are in Oakland, and I assume that you get your electricity through PG&E (as I do). Switching to a time-of-use rate plan and charging your car during off-peak periods could potentially save you hundreds of dollars per year or more, and it puts lower loads on the grid as well. The PG&E website shows comparison of different plans.

It looks like you will be switched to TOU electric rates soon: Alameda County is switching all residential customers to a time-of-use electric rate plan this month per TOU
You will want to start paying attention to when you charge your car. A functional delayed departure time feature in your car would make this easy :)

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeez you don't quit, I gather you're unhappy with your purchase and it's too bad you feel the need to smear every corner the forum with. Yes I'm TOU on PG&E's EV2A rate schedule and I'm off peak from midnight to 3 in the afternoon. I also L1 charge at work and DC charge at EA. 100% reliable charging. I'm sorry you're one of the few miserable owners, I trust VW is listening to your legitimate greivences because ultimately it will make this car better for all of us.

·
20 Posts
Completed 5 weeks and the car drives great and happy with it. Annoying software bugs (car play, lagging screens etc.) are not show stoppers and can live with it. Most annoying experience, however, is the radio - why would it default to Sirius XM? Why not go to last played channel?

·
29 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply with the helpful info @Nai3t. I asked about whether delayed charging worked because you reported no problems with charging. Your helpful response is consistent with data from all other ID.4 cars so far - there is no reported case of the delayed / departure time charging working correctly.

Do you not have a time-of-use electric rate plan? I see that you are in Oakland, and I assume that you get your electricity through PG&E (as I do). Switching to a time-of-use rate plan and charging your car during off-peak periods could potentially save you hundreds of dollars per year or more, and it puts lower loads on the grid as well. The PG&E website shows comparison of different plans.

It looks like you will be switched to TOU electric rates soon: Alameda County is switching all residential customers to a time-of-use electric rate plan this month per TOU
You will want to start paying attention to when you charge your car. A functional delayed departure time feature in your car would make this easy :)
Don't buy a car you don't like next time and contain your ocd spam to your own thread dude.
Jesus Christ.

·
Super Moderator
426 Posts
Don't buy a car you don't like next time and contain your ocd spam to your own thread dude.
Jesus Christ.
TPG has documented his charging issues on the thread he started, and we appreciate his input on this issue. It would be helpful if we keep developments on this issue on that thread.

·
Super Moderator
426 Posts
5 weeks, 2500 miles, and we are thrilled with this car. No issues other than 1 screen freeze up that corrected itself.
I'm bumping this thread because I think it is important to note the general good feelings most owners have of the ID.4. Referencing my previous post quoted here, it is important to note that I have not tried to schedule or set a preferred charging time. I've only used my JuiceBox to plug in for a few hours and it has been flawless.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts