Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1139 Posts

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone that locked on 4/11 in the US received a car or even moved beyond "locked" status? Just curious as I am now starting to think that given the timing of the TN factory startup in July that I will be getting a TN-built car. Since the shipping logistics should be much faster (no boats / ports / customs / etc.) I would think that they could still meet a Sept - Oct delivery and claim "mid-2022" even if production is not started until July.

For reference : AWD Pro S, reserved in October, locked in April, located in California.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Still a locked status here since 4/11. Only 2023 models will come out of TN. VW would have to change your order to a 2023 model and have you agree to it before they went that way. Probably a couple of option changes between 2022 and 2023 models that you would have to choose.

My GUESS is that all locked 2022 orders will all be filled from Germany and may still be happening during the fall when some 2023 are being built it TN.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,380 Posts
I doubt they would switch you to a TN built 2023 on a locked order, since there will likely be price increases, and some new options available. They will send everyone an email about that before they get switched. Those new locks for TN production are supposed to start on 6/27 according to Volkswagen (Build Out Final Order Start Up Dates) – Donlen so hopefully we will know soon.

·
145 Posts
... Those new locks for TN production are supposed to start on 6/27 according to Volkswagen (Build Out Final Order Start Up Dates) – Donlen so hopefully we will know soon.
Thanks for that link, SunWizard! I have a couple of questions about it:

(1) Who is Donlen and how are they involved with VW ordering/production schedules?

(2) I'm trying to interpret the meaning of the Donlen info in relation to my own order (RWD, placed 4/11/22, not yet locked). Many here are saying that if you are not yet locked your ID.4 will be a MY23 from TN. Since the table's RWD/82 entry says MY23 Initial Order Acceptance 8/22, does this mean that I can expect to get my lock invitation no earlier than 8/22?

·
145 Posts
PS: Also curious about the context of that Donlen data. Does anyone know with any certainty that it applies to on-line orders like the ones most of us have made, or is the intended audience for this document really only dealers who want to order units to be sold from the lot?

·
414 Posts
I think either way the TN production is good news. Our 4/11 locks could come from germany, but at least this should ease pressure on production and backlog.

Reactions: Mrau

·
414 Posts
The recent holds for MY22s at ports until July seems to be the main blocker now, it is almost seems to me like they might not allocate more production to US customers until that hold is lifted. These orders are all piling up at the port, there must be a storage limit.

·
149 Posts

(1) Who is Donlen and how are they involved with VW ordering/production schedules?

(2) I'm trying to interpret the meaning of the Donlen info in relation to my own order (RWD, placed 4/11/22, not yet locked). Many here are saying that if you are not yet locked your ID.4 will be a MY23 from TN. Since the table's RWD/82 entry says MY23 Initial Order Acceptance 8/22, does this mean that I can expect to get my lock invitation no earlier than 8/22?
When I spoke to my dealership they told me that my MY22 Pro S RWD wouldn't probably get locked until July if that depending on how it goes between RWD and AWD orders. I ordered 4/23/22. We're in for a long wait. I'm going to assume my order will get moved to a MY23 with production in TN and who knows when the car will get delivered.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,380 Posts

All I know about them is what we read on the website's About tab. They are geared towards fleet managers, but have some insider knowledge of dates that has proven accurate for us customer orders in the past 18 months I have been watching them. Everything is subject to lots of change is the other thing I have seen in that time.

·
145 Posts
All I know about them is what we read on the website's About tab. They are geared towards fleet managers...
Thanks for the followup. From your comments and my own reading of their About page it sounds like they have no direct relationship with VW but possibly have better inside info than other outsiders. Who knows if their table's order acceptance dates have anything whatsoever to do with VW's own internal on-line order and locking timelines? My guess would be very possibly not -- however, if their actual production dates are accurate those are certainly helpful, e.g., I can expect that my own car will not be rolling off the line until at least mid-September regardless of when my order is locked.

·
805 Posts
I doubt they would switch you to a TN built 2023 on a locked order, since there will likely be price increases, and some new options available. They will send everyone an email about that before they get switched. Those new locks for TN production are supposed to start on 6/27 according to Volkswagen (Build Out Final Order Start Up Dates) – Donlen so hopefully we will know soon.
I am still confused about, it’s confirmed July 25 production starts at Chattanooga, then why they are not releasing any info about it. It’s less than 2 months remaining. People need pictures and info on new features added to 2023.

My guess is, 22 models will be Converted to 23. Because 23 ordering option is not open yet on VW website. Also locally produced car can save $ on import duties as well as less shipping cost so, it makes more sense to VW finance wise. Also, I don’t think people will react positively when they are not getting 22 for more than a year but 23 can be delivered with in a month. Let’s see what happens

·
1,216 Posts
Still a locked status here since 4/11. Only 2023 models will come out of TN. VW would have to change your order to a 2023 model and have you agree to it before they went that way. Probably a couple of option changes between 2022 and 2023 models that you would have to choose.

My GUESS is that all locked 2022 orders will all be filled from Germany and may still be happening during the fall when some 2023 are being built it TN.
I agree with your guess with my guess.

Dave

Reactions: Mrau

·
1,216 Posts

Here's how I read the Donlen web page:

First, I distinguish between "reservation" and "order". I believe "order" means locking. I'll make that an assumption.

Given that assumption, I predict the April 11 locks will be the last for 2022s. I predict those not locked will be converted to MY2023, and that there will not be any new locks until the 6/27 date for AWDs of MY2023 at Chattanooga. Similarly, the next RWD locks would be 8/22 for MY2023 in TN.

That's my guess. I'll see if @Plant Peon laughs. :cool:

Dave

·
1,799 Posts
Here's how I read the Donlen web page:

First, I distinguish between "reservation" and "order". I believe "order" means locking. I'll make that an assumption.
You are correct that you reserve an ID4 first. And once you lock, that reservation coverts to an order.
The reservation is more like an intent to order. And the lock is a deposit for the order to begin processing through the production steps needed for the factory to accept the order an begin building.

·
2019 Leaf SL+, waiting on an ID.4 AWD ProS, Dusk Blue
597 Posts

My guess is that those of us who locked on 4/11 (about 100, according to the spreadsheet) will be the last of the 22s built in Germany. Nothing happened in May and since the month is almost over, I don't anything is going to happen in the next 24 hours. If there are locks in June, they will be for MY23s that will be built in Tennessee. People will be notified of the change and have the option to cancel their order or change to a MY23 car (which may cost more).

Meanwhile, 22s here in the US will be as rare as hen's teeth. I don't think anyone has received one yet, correct? From what I have read, people getting cars now are either buying slightly used 21s or getting cancelled orders, also 21s. The 22s that exist are either on a ship or sitting in a ship parking lot waiting for something (software update?) and will begin moving off the lots in July. For those of us who don't have a car on a ship or in a parking lot, it will be built in Germany and shipped over--but we'll be the last of the German made US ID.4s.

I'd like to get a handle on the number of 22s we are talking about here. How many are in parking lots, on ships, and yet to be built? Are we guessing 500? 10000? 50000? Has anyone actually gone to a ship parking lot and seen these cars that are supposedly sitting there and waiting to be delivered to their eager owners?

Please note that this is 100% speculation, based on what I have read here and there. I may be completely wrong but I actually think I'm kind of right. :)

·
60 Posts
My guess is that those of us who locked on 4/11 (about 100, according to the spreadsheet) will be the last of the 22s built in Germany. Nothing happened in May and since the month is almost over, I don't anything is going to happen in the next 24 hours. If there are locks in June, they will be for MY23s that will be built in Tennessee. People will be notified of the change and have the option to cancel their order or change to a MY23 car (which may cost more).

Meanwhile, 22s here in the US will be as rare as hen's teeth. I don't think anyone has received one yet, correct? From what I have read, people getting cars now are either buying slightly used 21s or getting cancelled orders, also 21s. The 22s that exist are either on a ship or sitting in a ship parking lot waiting for something (software update?) and will begin moving off the lots in July. For those of us who don't have a car on a ship or in a parking lot, it will be built in Germany and shipped over--but we'll be the last of the German made US ID.4s.

I'd like to get a handle on the number of 22s we are talking about here. How many are in parking lots, on ships, and yet to be built? Are we guessing 500? 10000? 50000? Has anyone actually gone to a ship parking lot and seen these cars that are supposedly sitting there and waiting to be delivered to their eager owners?

Please note that this is 100% speculation, based on what I have read here and there. I may be completely wrong but I actually think I'm kind of right. :)
I have reserved mine on 5/7/22 and the sale man says it will be the MY22 and made in Germany. I guess it would be locked some time in July, then would it be made in Chattanooga as MY23 ?

·
2019 Leaf SL+, waiting on an ID.4 AWD ProS, Dusk Blue
597 Posts
I have reserved mine on 5/7/22 and the sale man says it will be the MY22 and made in Germany. I guess it would be locked some time in July, then would it be made in Chattanooga as MY23 ?
Like I said, this is all speculation and I may be wrong. I predicted that people would be invited to lock their orders on May 9th and that didn't happen. And, there were no locks on any other date in May, either, which leads me to believe we are coming to a transition--clear out all the orders that locked on April 11th and before and move ahead with new orders that will lock, beginning in June, and be built in TN. I think it has been confirmed that the plant in TN is going online the last week in July (July 25th, to be precise) and they need to have orders to build cars, right?

My 2 cents.

·
1,799 Posts
I think it has been confirmed that the plant in TN is going online the last week in July (July 25th, to be precise) and they need to have orders to build cars, right?

My 2 cents.
The production plan has been in place for quite some time. While having the orders “in hand” is good, it is not strictly necessary to begin production.
Most likely any matching, pre-existing, orders would be fit into those pre-existing production slots.

1 - 20 of 1139 Posts