Volkswagen ID Forum banner
121 - 140 of 197 Posts

·
8 Posts
My little sister is 10/28. So we have a Libra/VW thang going here. Maybe we need to all meet somewhere in the middle of the country for a Octodub jamboree. I have been reading this prospective new legislation, and I am kind of hoping to have the car prior to the 1/1/23 effective date if passed, as it seems more laborious and still only allows the same $7500 except for the whole "final assembly in North America" bit. I would hate to have to reserve again and let this one go as 10k is a lot of cash.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
They are incorrect. The text of the bill is quite clear that only vehicles where "the final assembly of which occurs within North America" are eligible for the federal credit and this will apply to vehicles sold after the enactment of the act. See page 366, line24 and see page 386, line 17: INFLATION REDUCTION ACT OF 2022 | Senate Democratic Leadership
If the new bill will disqualif ID4 which was reserved long ago (in my case December 2021), it's a bummer for all the folks waiting so long just to be punished. VW going to see many many cancellations.. And if they care they should change all pending orders to be delivered to US, TN made 2023 models

·
8 Posts
If the new bill will disqualif ID4 which was reserved long ago (in my case December 2021), it's a bummer for all the folks waiting so long just to be punished. VW going to see many many cancellations.. And if they care they should change all pending orders to be delivered to US, TN made 2023 models
agree for sure. Hope that doesn't happen

·
1,469 Posts
It doesn’t quite work like that.

·
675 Posts
They are incorrect. The text of the bill is quite clear that only vehicles where "the final assembly of which occurs within North America" are eligible for the federal credit and this will apply to vehicles sold after the enactment of the act. See page 366, line24 and see page 386, line 17: INFLATION REDUCTION ACT OF 2022 | Senate Democratic Leadership
It is really unclear, though, about the dates. There is another paragraph ordering the Secretary (of Treasury, I assume?) to give guidance on this question by December 31, 2022.

Dave

·
609 Posts
ID.4 held at port to install latest software = "final assembly of which occurs within North America." I don't see a problem :)
This is true! Could the 2022’s from Germany already come updated with 3.0 or 3.1 whatever it is or will it need to be updated at the port here in North America?

·
609 Posts
Would you guys consider another ev instead of ID4 if bill passes. Like ioniq 5 ev 6 or Tesla?
telsa’s are nice sure but sadly they keep ranking up there prices it’s getting ridiculous and besides I am not trying to wait another year for a car. I just hope it all works out. 🤞🏻

·
380 Posts
Would you guys consider another ev instead of ID4 if bill passes. Like ioniq 5 ev 6 or Tesla?
2023 ID.4s would qualify, but the Ioniq 5 and EV6 probably won’t given they aren’t assembled in North America. I’d consider reordering for a ‘23 and passing on a German ‘22 potentially.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD Moonstone Gray. Reserved 20 Mar 2022, Locked 13 July 2022
10 Posts
If VW tries to sell me a MY 22 in Jan/Feb 23, and I can’t claim the federal tax credit, I’ll cancel my order and either order a MY 23 ID4 or explore the Chevy Blazer EV as an option.

·
21 Posts
Like others have said - only Teslas would possibly qualify out of that list - and Teslas are too expensive. Honestly I'd probably try to get one of the Bolts. They'll be even more of a steal after they start getting Tax Credit on top of the current cheap price. But... I don't know. I might just sit with my ICE's until one of them dies and look at the landscape then. Could be a lot more options to chose from by then.

·
380 Posts
The Latest I have from VW ChatPortal:
Live Chat - Nick (8/1/2022, 3:28:46 PM): Hello Cody. Thank you for chatting with us today. My name is Nick and I am happy to assist you.
Cody (8/1/2022, 3:30:00 PM): Hi Nick. I am concerned with some upcoming legislation that may affect my purchase. Are you able to tell me if my ID.4 will be produced in the U.S.?
Cody (8/1/2022, 3:30:15 PM): Reservation ID XXXXXXXXXX
Live Chat - Nick (8/1/2022, 3:31:23 PM): Thank you for reaching out. I can check on your reservation for you and see what information I can find, Can you also please share your home mailing address and your phone number so I can verify your reservation?
Cody (8/1/2022, 3:32:03 PM): XXXXXXXXXX
Live Chat - Nick (8/1/2022, 3:34:54 PM): Thank you for these details. looking at your reservation I can see that it locked in and the factory will soon have it scheduled for production. It would be built at the German factory. the estimated delivery time frame is that it will arrive within the months of October to November.
Cody (8/1/2022, 3:35:16 PM): Thank you.
Live Chat - Nick (8/1/2022, 3:36:04 PM): You are welcome. are you looking into this because of the updated parameters to the federal tax credit?
Cody (8/1/2022, 3:36:36 PM): Yes. We are concerned a German-built vehicle may not qualify under the new terms.
Live Chat - Nick (8/1/2022, 3:37:19 PM): I believe it may still qualify if it is bought within the year. your ID.4 should arrive within time.
Cody (8/1/2022, 3:37:33 PM): Awesome. Thank you!
Live Chat - Nick (8/1/2022, 3:37:47 PM): You are welcome. I hope you have a great rest of your day.
Got a similar answer for my reservation, locked 4/11. No ETA given in the chat, but they said "Currently, your reservation is set to be produced in Zwickau Germany. If for any reason, that were to change and the vehicle were to be produced in the Chattanooga factory, you would be notified via email to let you know of the change and what that meant for you moving forward."

·
6 Posts
well, i guess it's a good thing i didn't cancel my Tesla Model Y order, as that should still qualify for the tax rebate. Model Y estimated delivery between November and January. my ID.4 is estimated between October and November. if it doesn't qualify I guess i'll just not take delivery on it and wait for the Tesla

121 - 140 of 197 Posts