Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Blue Dusk Gradient
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charge to 80% Thursday preheat car while still plugged into my L2 charger. Drive a total of 3 miles with a 10 minute stop, get home SOC is at 68% mi/kWh 0.9 temperature is in the 20's. Car sits all day Friday temps get down around 9 degrees over night. Go to preheat car from the app to run some errands, get a message that "The vehicles 12V battery is being conserved at this time due to extensive use of remote online services. No worries, though yo can use these features again once you have taken your car for a spin". I did nothing with the car all day Friday didn't even open the app. Walk out to the car and have a message Error: 12V power supply. Please service vehicle. Temp is around 22 degrees at this time. I sit in the car and let it charge up the 12V battery and message goes away, so decide to take the car on my errands 38 miles later around 4 stops and half hour at each stop. I get home with 34% SOC after only 41 miles spread out over 3 days average speed of 20 mph 1.7 mi/kWh driving like a grandpa.

If their sudo cold weather battery management is this bad I wonder how bad their over all battery management is.

I also thought the traction battery kept the 12V battery charged.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,802 Posts
I also thought the traction battery kept the 12V battery charged.
It does but our 12v batteries voltage is allowed to get too low, which shortens its lifespan. And they lose 50% of capacity in the 12v when it gets really cold like the 0-10F we have had here. See:

·
2023 ID 4 Pro S AWD Pearl Black/Galaxy
179 Posts
Kind of hard to drive with a car cover on. I mean use almost 50% of your SOC to drive 41 miles averaging 20 mph. And instead of cover I could just keep the car plugged in when not in use.
If you suspect something is wrong with your car, then take it to the dealer and get it checked.
there have been postings on this forum from people who had a bad battery cell and it had to be replaced.
Sucks to have your new car go int the shop, sucks more to not get it fixed.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,149 Posts
@Metier I have to agree with you that VW needs to give us something better with the HV battery thermal management. I presume you are driving a 2021 with the 2.1 software? The battery heating is aggressive and VW has not yet enabled battery preconditioning while plugged in to shore power. Last winter was painful for a number of owners and I fully expected VW would have this function all tidied up and ready for this winter, but nope, it looks like you colder climate folks need to tough it out another year. If you can find a way to charge right up to departure time that'll give you something, but it would be so much more meaningful if we could schedule charging session this way and have scheduled battery warming, too.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you suspect something is wrong with your car, then take it to the dealer and get it checked.
there have been postings on this forum from people who had a bad battery cell and it had to be replaced.
Sucks to have your new car go int the shop, sucks more to not get it fixed.
I do not believe it is hardware but software.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@Metier I have to agree with you that VW needs to give us something better with the HV battery thermal management. I presume you are driving a 2021 with the 2.1 software? The battery heating is aggressive and VW has not yet enabled battery preconditioning while plugged in to shore power. Last winter was painful for a number of owners and I fully expected VW would have this function all tidied up and ready for this winter, but nope, it looks like you colder climate folks need to tough it out another year. If you can find a way to charge right up to departure time that'll give you something, but it would be so much more meaningful if we could schedule charging session this way and have scheduled battery warming, too.
I agree with you @Nai3t that is kind of my point on the post. That It has been going on this long and still no fix. This will be my 2nd winter putting up with this. Yes 2021 2.1 software. Maybe my 3rd winter will be the lucky one that it gets better, you know 3rd time is the charm. But according to @VWtechnician that it is just the way it is even if you drive a Tesla. So not sure if upgrade will help

·
5,149 Posts
I'm ignorant as to the operation of Tesla's systems, but I know my trusty little i3 preconditions the battery for the departure time I schedule when it's plugged in, even on Level 1. Its little heater can take up to 3 hours to perform the warm-up, depending on how cold-soaked the battery is, but that's not important. Leaving the house with a warmed-up battery on a cold morning (or evening) is what makes the difference.

If I had to guess, VW had all of these dominoes lined up -- scheduled charging, preconditioning for departure, preconditioning for DCFC, trip planning, etc., and was planning to knock them down with each subsequent OTA, but then reality hit when it turned out the first domino was crazy glued to the table. I hope I hope I hope that once 3.1 hits we're going to get back on pace, but I'm not saying that out loud for fear of cursing it.

Oopsie...

·
5,149 Posts
No I'm still on 2.1 like all the other '21 owners. If VW pushes us to 3.2 this winter I'll be ecstatic, because 3.1 sounds overly buggy, too. But I haven't heard a peep that we'll be getting anything other than what everybody else already has.

·
6 Posts
No I'm still on 2.1 like all the other '21 owners. If VW pushes us to 3.2 this winter I'll be ecstatic, because 3.1 sounds overly buggy, too. But I haven't heard a peep that we'll be getting anything other than what everybody else already has.
I was asking some questions when I had mine at the dealer the other day and they seemed confused about something. They said mine showed 3.2 software on their VW scanner. Then I was confused because my screen shows 3.1. They called it in to the engineers and were assured it is 3.2 and there is some kind of bug and all the 2023s have 3.2 but are showing 3.1. So that would be the version you should be waiting on.

·
5,149 Posts
Oh wow, that's worthy of a fresh post all by itself. First I've heard. There's already confusion over difference between Europe 3.0 v US 3.1. and then there's that weird US 3.0.1 that nobody here seems to have.

If you find out more, please share!

·
1,717 Posts
As much as I love me some EVs, crazy winter temps is where ICE cars/SUVs shine vs BEVs especially if you have to drive a lot per day. It's just how fully electric cars are unfortunately.
Well, given that ~70-80% of a typical ICE vehicle’s fuel is burned to do nothing but create waste heat, it’s no wonder. They have more than enough heat to spare to deal with extreme winter temps. EVs create much less waste heat, and so have to get energy from somewhere to heat the cabin and pre-heat the battery, so the only options are the traction battery or shore power if plugged in. A victim of their own efficient use of energy.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, given that ~70-80% of a typical ICE vehicle’s fuel is burned to do nothing but create waste heat, it’s no wonder. They have more than enough heat to spare to deal with extreme winter temps. EVs create much less waste heat, and so have to get energy from somewhere to heat the cabin and pre-heat the battery, so the only options are the traction battery or shore power if plugged in. A victim of their own efficient use of energy.
Except VW doesn’t give you the option to pre-heat the battery if you‘re connected to shore power.

·
3,109 Posts
Whenever battery is bellow calibration threshold temperature values....battery heater will engage.....if this was not done it will throttle battery current output to the point that owners will be all over forums complaining.....

·
101 Posts
Exactly. And even so, ICE vehicles have huge drops in efficiency in cold weather too... especially for short trips.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts