Volkswagen ID Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
239 Posts
Your battery heat button caused my thermal runaway! Give me a new car, pay me pain & suffering!

This is why we can't have nice things.
Simple fixes to this is to simply have both a temperature and time cutoff. Temperature would be the ideal charging temp. Timer would be long enough to reach ideal temp but cutoff if that time is exceeded.

But yes, there would need to be an attempt to make it idiotproof.

ga2500ev

·
2022 AWD Pro S w/ Gradient
245 Posts
Its in a garage, but I don't know how warm it is! I do warm up the cabin before I leave....like this morning, I plugged in the charger, turned on climate control to max and went into the house for a few minutes. Came out, unplugged, left the house. I think one of the power hogs is running the heat AND a/c, which is turned on by the auto climate controls despite the temp setting. I manually setting the climate controls by setting temp, selecting the vents, fan speed, and turning OFF a/c. I drive in eco with "B" mode. for the most part, I drive like I always have in an ice. I'm sure if I changed some of my driving habits, I could prob get better mileage .
My attached garage with non-insulated garage door has been staying about 50-55F so far in east TN. I would imagine you’re somewhere at or above that depending on if you are better insulated.

·
287 Posts
Its in a garage, but I don't know how warm it is! I do warm up the cabin before I leave....like this morning, I plugged in the charger, turned on climate control to max and went into the house for a few minutes. Came out, unplugged, left the house. I think one of the power hogs is running the heat AND a/c, which is turned on by the auto climate controls despite the temp setting. I manually setting the climate controls by setting temp, selecting the vents, fan speed, and turning OFF a/c. I drive in eco with "B" mode. for the most part, I drive like I always have in an ice. I'm sure if I changed some of my driving habits, I could prob get better mileage .
that makes huge difference.

park outside tonight and do the same trip tomorrow morning without preheating/plugging in and let's see what you trip efficiency will be...

·
2023 AWD Pro S
186 Posts
I didn't do it this morning. I played around with the car scheduler last night. I set the departure time to see if a warm battery would make any difference. It did not. GOM calculated 2.6/kwh @ 28 degrees

I'll try tomorrow morning. I will say my commute home at night, with the car sitting outside all day yields about the same m/kwh.

·
3,343 Posts
2.6 this morning, but temp was in the low-mid 30s
If you deduct energy used for battery pack and cabin your efficiency will be as what you get in perfect weather conditions.
Short trips take a lot of energy to stay comfortable and vehicle needs energy to keep battery pack warm. If you drive longer it will blend waisted heat from propulsion units and electronics to keep or assist in warming big battery. ICE vehicle's are not any different in cold weather conditions and Short drives.
My father's BMW V12 powered vehicle will have 2-7 MPG efficiency if doing Short drives and using precondition before driving. Electric vehicles should be plugged in wherever 120V plug is available when possible or account for extra energy waisted for heating.

·
First Edition RWD Dusk Blue - Blucifer
12 Posts
I put over 5k on my first edition RWD last winter in CO - driving from Denver to the mountains for skiing, parking outside in the mountains overnight often at a friends house with cold starts and lots of driving around in the cold in the mountains. I have a garage at home, but only L1 charger. My avg consumption for that entire period was 2.9, with snow tires. I usually set the temp around 65, and used steering wheel/seat heat. Often had one other passenger and obviously ski gear in the trunk of car too.

·
2023 AWD Pro S
186 Posts
If you deduct energy used for battery pack and cabin your efficiency will be as what you get in perfect weather conditions.
Short trips take a lot of energy to stay comfortable and vehicle needs energy to keep battery pack warm. If you drive longer it will blend waisted heat from propulsion units and electronics to keep or assist in warming big battery. ICE vehicle's are not any different in cold weather conditions and Short drives.
My father's BMW V12 powered vehicle will have 2-7 MPG efficiency if doing Short drives and using precondition before driving. Electric vehicles should be plugged in wherever 120V plug is available when possible or account for extra energy waisted for heating.
I don't know if those are good number or not..just reporting! I have no idea what it should be compared to. I'm just happy I can make my RT commute, run some errands, etc on a single charge! :D What should that number be under ideal conditions?

·
1,753 Posts
I don't know if those are good number or not..just reporting! I have no idea what it should be compared to. I'm just happy I can make my RT commute, run some errands, etc on a single charge! :D What should that number be under ideal conditions?
It depends on how you define "ideal conditions", I would say.

Ambient temps around 70F and the battery around the same temp, driving around 30-40 mph max, no highway driving, no wind, no rain, no elevation gain, no rabbit-like starts from a cold stop, no stomping the accelerator — my guess is that the RWD ID.4 can maybe achieve around 4 miles/kWh. (In similar conditions in my e-Golf, by the way, I can get 5-6 miles/kWh.)

·
3,343 Posts
It will be different with every driver and his lifestyle how he/she drives. Recording your own summer efficiency vs your winter efficiency is what will give you idea. In the winter....more dense air, big battery pack using coolant heater, owner is calling for comfort in chilly weather all of this is using energy from HV battery pack. Electric motor alone is still as efficient as you experience in good conditions, but in winter conditions all other energy heavy users are combined together to calculate energy used per mile.

·
629 Posts
Ambient temps around 70F and the battery around the same temp, driving around 30-40 mph max, no highway driving, no wind, no rain, no elevation gain, no rabbit-like starts from a cold stop, no stomping the accelerator — my guess is that the RWD ID.4 can maybe achieve around 4 miles/kWh. (In similar conditions in my e-Golf, by the way, I can get 5-6 miles/kWh.)
It's a shame that it's so long until warm weather returns; this almost sounds like a challenge! ;-)

(My gut always assumed I could get at least 4 MPKWH / 250 WH/Mile out of the ID.4 in ideal conditions but I'll have to wait until Spring to see if my gut's correct. My Volt has managed to make it to about 5.5 MPKWH / 180 WH/Mile in ideal conditions.)

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S AWD w/Gradient - Kings Red
128 Posts
It depends on how you define "ideal conditions", I would say.

e-Golf is an efficiency dream compared to ID.4. I didn’t even have to try to average 4 miles/kWh and that was not driving efficiently (but in Eco mode). It was a bit of economy shock to barely be able to pull down 3 miles/kWh in my ID4 (2.9 currently). If VW would sell the dang ID.3 here I would be in that instead of the 4.

·
3,343 Posts
It's a shame that it's so long until warm weather returns; this almost sounds like a challenge! ;-)

(My gut always assumed I could get at least 4 MPKWH / 250 WH/Mile out of the ID.4 in ideal conditions but I'll have to wait until Spring to see if my gut's correct. My Volt has managed to make it to about 5.5 MPKWH / 180 WH/Mile in ideal conditions.)
Not likely, unless driving on stop and go traffic city limits... SUV cannot deliver efficiency of passenger cars.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
562 Posts
e-Golf is an efficiency dream compared to ID.4. I didn’t even have to try to average 4 miles/kWh and that was not driving efficiently (but in Eco mode). It was a bit of economy shock to barely be able to pull down 3 miles/kWh in my ID4 (2.9 currently). If VW would sell the dang ID.3 here I would be in that instead of the 4.
My e-Golf with studded snows (Hakka 9s) gets better efficiency than my ID4 in winter as an errand runner.

·
103 Posts
Don’t worry, VW’s new ceo said things will be fixed in a couple years
Did he? I am not sure the few years was referring to new vehicles out of the factory then or if it means all of us 2021 early adapters will also get an upgrade. Since many of the fixes seem to need new wiring harnesses, I doubt I will see much.

·
59 Posts
Charge to 80% Thursday preheat car while still plugged into my L2 charger. Drive a total of 3 miles with a 10 minute stop, get home SOC is at 68% mi/kWh 0.9 temperature is in the 20's. Car sits all day Friday temps get down around 9 degrees over night. Go to preheat car from the app to run some errands, get a message that "The vehicles 12V battery is being conserved at this time due to extensive use of remote online services. No worries, though yo can use these features again once you have taken your car for a spin". I did nothing with the car all day Friday didn't even open the app. Walk out to the car and have a message Error: 12V power supply. Please service vehicle. Temp is around 22 degrees at this time. I sit in the car and let it charge up the 12V battery and message goes away, so decide to take the car on my errands 38 miles later around 4 stops and half hour at each stop. I get home with 34% SOC after only 41 miles spread out over 3 days average speed of 20 mph 1.7 mi/kWh driving like a grandpa.

If their sudo cold weather battery management is this bad I wonder how bad their over all battery management is.

I also thought the traction battery kept the 12V battery charged.
My experience in winter, while annoying at times , isn’t nearly as bad as yours. I think something is wrong. Go to the dealer.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts