Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As we all know, backing up at night is a nightmare. Light from the license plate lamps is reflected off the highly reflective surface of the license plate and confuses the camera. Through multiple iterations and many nights of testing the final design emerged that is not blocking the view of the camera at all and significantly improves the quality of the picture. The lip on the CamHood blocks reflected light from getting to the camera allowing for better picture quality.
CamHood is printed on the SLA printer from ABS-like resin cured with UV light and spray-painted with at least 3 coats of black paint or clear coat if you would like a smokey-black look (see on Etsy).

You can order CamHood as well as my other accessories at my Etsy shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/YuriKAccessories

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive design Light Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

In October and November, I will donate 5% of my sales proceeds to Feeding America ( U.S. Hunger Relief Organization | Feeding America ) to help fight food insecurity.

·
11 Posts
As we all know, backing up at night is a nightmare. Light from the license plate lamps is reflected off the highly reflective surface of the license plate and confuses the camera. Through multiple iterations and many nights of testing the final design emerged that is not blocking the view of the camera at all and significantly improves the quality of the picture. The lip on the CamHood blocks reflected light from getting to the camera allowing for better picture quality.
CamHood is printed on the SLA printer from ABS-like resin cured with UV light and spray-painted with at least 3 coats of black paint or clear coat if you would like a smokey-black look (see on Etsy).

You can order CamHood as well as my other accessories at my Etsy shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/YuriKAccessories

View attachment 6233 View attachment 6234
Holy crap that thing looks a million times better than the other hood someone else made and is selling for even more.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy crap that thing looks a million times better than the other hood someone else made and is selling for even more.
Thank you. I put time and effort in things I make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
337 Posts
You know, if he had found any design elements to improve on my design that would have been one thing, but all he did was copy the main feature, the large hood that blocks the plate. In a nod to form over function, he actually reduced its effectiveness for wet weather conditions by not shielding anything on the sides. In wet weather, the droplets of water on the camera surface stick out far enough to refract light directly from the plate bulbs, so that's worth blocking which is why I went to great pains to block as much of that without blocking any of the camera's wide angle view.

The only thing he is bringing to the table is a different 3D printing technology that lends itself to higher resolution small items. So if you are going to be inspecting you camera hood with a magnifying glass on a regular basis, he's got just the thing you need. He might be feeling the need to get some customers for that if he just went out and bought that SLA printer just for this purpose.

Just because it has to be stated, my Etsy listing for this product went up 29 days ago, which is the same day I recruited a handful of testers. It was my first listing and I intentionally let it go unnoticed while I verified everything was going to fit right on other's ID.4s also. I first announced it here 17 days ago. And as I posted on the Dark Camera at Night thread 17 days ago, I acknowledge that some folks posted ideas on that thread the got my creative juices flowing for my hood design and offered them discounts recognizing their contributions. The above listing appeared earlier this week, a few days ago at most, sometime after the date of his YouTube video where he talks about it in the future tense.

On the other hand, his Etsy listing for the floor storage bin under the center console is great! If you dig through his recommendations on Etsy, you'll see I gave him a 5 star review for that! 🤣 I bought his STL digital download he used to offer but has since removed. That design too is a copy of a similar storage bin publicly posted at Thingiverse, but at least he did a few things to significantly improve that design, so there's that!

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
387 Posts
The only thing he is bringing to the table is a different 3D printing technology that lends itself to higher resolution small items. So if you are going to be inspecting you camera hood with a magnifying glass on a regular basis, he's got just the thing you need. He might be feeling the need to get some customers for that if he just went out and bought that SLA printer just for this purpose.
I certainly wouldn't be so critical - I think what he brought to the table is a completely different design, simpler and more refined. Competition makes all products better, but if you don't want to compete, at least refrain from trashing someone else's efforts. Like all products, the marketplace will determine what consumers think is the best design and the best value. Hopefully, we'll see a few more designs from you guys who have the printers to make these products. I bought his console under tray and his phone shelf and they apear to be well made products

Don

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
I certainly wouldn't be so critical - Competition makes all products better, but if you don't want to compete, at least refrain from trashing someone else's efforts.
I would not call that "trashing" I think he was just pointing out the differences in the hoods.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good except it it looks like snow would easily accumulate on the hood and block the camera view.
ID4 has a sprinkler there and snow can be washed away.

Reactions: mochalatte

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,543 Posts
That little "pin" to the upper left is a camera lens washer. Hence clever design of these light-blockers to not interfere with same. Of course be sure to install Winter washer fluid (feeds off the same windshield & rear hatch glass washer reservoir).
Looks good except it it looks like snow would easily accumulate on the hood and block the camera view.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,543 Posts
btw: Thanks for the reminder on the floor tray. Just placed an order. We need to support all these small business inspired designers. That and I used to live in madyury's lovely town. ;)
On the other hand, his Etsy listing for the floor storage bin under the center console is great! If you dig through his recommendations on Etsy, you'll see I gave him a 5 star review for that! 🤣 ...

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
btw: Thanks for the reminder on the floor tray. Just placed an order. We need to support all these small business inspired designers. That and I used to live in madyury's lovely town. ;)
Thank you for your order sir. Very much appreciate it.

Reactions: Huey52

·
11 Posts
So if you are going to be inspecting you camera hood with a magnifying glass on a regular basis, he's got just the thing you need.
I've seen you defend your poor print quality several times now here and over in reddit. But now that you're debasing yourself to trashing someone else's design, that comes off as sad.

I have several FDM printers and I've gotten much better final resolution from small prints compared to what you're selling. And I've seen even better prints from regular Ender 3s posted online every single day. You're also charging more.

Lower quality plus higher price = trash talk the competition?

Now I've happier about my decision to order the hood from Madyury.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Received mine today and installed it. Very impressive!! Looks like VW designed it and it came stock on the car. Thanks Yury (y)

Don
I am glad you like it!

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey mates, I am running a 30%OFF sale for the camera hood for 30 days starting 10/28

Order your here:

Excited to share this item from my #etsy shop: Backup camera hood for VW ID4 CamHood https://etsy.me/3mmZMV2

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reactions: Huey52
1 - 18 of 18 Posts