Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was an honest first impression (from the guy in the passenger’s seat, specifically) of the ID.4 from exactly who VW is targeting, the “average” car buyer. He knows a little about EV’s, but never been in one himself. He was able to figure everything out just by poking around a bit. He came away impressed (and he compares it to his experience with ICE vehicles in the same class).

·
57 Posts
These guys made me laugh. They get a lot of details wrong, but they both seemed to really enjoy the car.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, some details were incorrect, but it’s the sentiment of the review that I really appreciate.

·
57 Posts
Agreed. And honestly I am pretty sure I haven't watched any reviews that didn't get something wrong :)

Reactions: NBCGLX

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
Thanks for this somewhat offbeat but valued link NBCGLX. I tire of the "professional" reviewers seemingly all relating the same script. It's refreshing to view a more everyday reaction, even if there are mistakes.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this somewhat offbeat but valued link NBCGLX. I tire of the "professional" reviewers seemingly all relating the same script. It's refreshing to view a more everyday reaction, even if there are mistakes.
The script that goes something like, "VW really needs to fix the infotainment software, and it's really good overall but it's not a Tesla," and then completely neglects to acknowledge that the vehicles they're driving don't have the latest software which addresses all of the bugs (admittedly, it doesn't introduce p-n-c or prioritizing EA chargers...yet), and that as of right now Teslas are notably more expensive and in the real world only offer moderately more range (though they are faster)? That script? It's tiring and far from objective, and it doesn't present viewers with the whole picture or perspective, including that none of the ID.4's reviewed thus far (here or in Europe that I can find) have reported any QC or fit-and-finish issues.

·
Premium Member
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
483 Posts
The script that goes something like, "VW really needs to fix the infotainment software, and it's really good overall but it's not a Tesla," and then completely neglects to acknowledge that the vehicles they're driving don't have the latest software which addresses all of the bugs (admittedly, it doesn't introduce p-n-c or prioritizing EA chargers...yet), and that as of right now Teslas are notably more expensive and in the real world only offer moderately more range (though they are faster)? That script? It's tiring and far from objective, and it doesn't present viewers with the whole picture or perspective, including that none of the ID.4's reviewed thus far (here or in Europe that I can find) have reported any QC or fit-and-finish issues.
Exactly! And to add to the list, in every review I have seen they have always compared the ID.4 prices with Tesla prices without the tax credit. In my opinion to make them look closer in price and thereby favor the Tesla. They might mention it with a footnote, but in real world terms the credit usually makes the ID.4 MUCH lower priced than any Tesla, and that is a big factor to the target market. And everyone seems to forget the teething pains Tesla went through, and I would argue is still going through considering their quality issues.

As a first time EV buyer, like most of the ID.4 buyers will be, I don't have one pedal braking and will not miss it or long for it at all, and I can wait for plug and charge. When I am plugging into an EA charger for 40 minutes, an extra minute to start the app is not going to ruin the moment. The majority of buyers of the ID.4 are not coming from Teslas and will be perfectly happy with what the ID.4 brings them.

Reactions: ErickF and NBCGLX

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the ID.4’s eligibility for the Federal tax credit is really important for a lot of people, and therefore I think very important to acknowledge as a major deciding factor. I really like Tesla’s, a lot, but they are not the only EV solution out there, and certainly not the most affordable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts