Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had at least one problem every one of the 5 days that we've owned this PoC.

I have to spend my evenings checking the Car-Net app, and/or going down to the garage to make sure the car is charging.

Just venting. . .

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
317 Posts

Did you see this thread, he was having a similar issue.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Did you see this thread, he was having a similar issue.
I'm reading through it now. Thanks.

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue
116 Posts
I was experiencing this issue before. Make sure that your cable is properly inserted into the port. If it happens again, just disconnect it and reconnect it a few times.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was experiencing this issue before. Make sure that your cable is properly inserted into the port. If it happens again, just disconnect it and reconnect it a few times.
Is it too much to expect it to work right the first time?

·
292 Posts
If this keeps happening, might be worth a trip to the dealer to try to replicate it for them. The lock-pin solenoid doesn't tend to magically fix itself. It will probably get worse before it gets better, unless it was a one-time fluke.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
135 Posts
What I have found helpful is to glance inside at the infotainment screen after I plug in at home. For my charger, if the displayed charging speed is ~20mph or greater it means everything is working. If it's more like 11mph, then I unplug and plug back in to make sure the connection is good, and that seems to fix it.

Reactions: thatbrian

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue
116 Posts
What I have found helpful is to glance inside at the infotainment screen after I plug in at home. For my charger, if the displayed charging speed is ~20mph or greater it means everything is working. If it's more like 11mph, then I unplug and plug back in to make sure the connection is good, and that seems to fix it.
Also, if your EVSE has a display, then you can possibly look at that as well. If mine is showing 38-39.9 amps, then I know that it's charging properly.

·
2021 1st Edition VW ID.4 (White)
2 Posts
Also, if your EVSE has a display, then you can possibly look at that as well. If mine is showing 38-39.9 amps, then I know that it's charging properly.
What if it is charging for 1:30-2 hours and then this pops up?? Any other ideas? This has happened twice this week. At first I thought it was my charger, now I'm thinking its definitely the car.

·
317 Posts
What if it is charging for 1:30-2 hours and then this pops up?? Any other ideas? This has happened twice this week. At first I thought it was my charger, now I'm thinking its definitely the car.
Do you have location-based timed charging enabled? If not, I would take it into the dealer.

·
317 Posts
It is currently set to charge immediately
I would test it out a couple times by taking it to a Chargepoint or other L2 charger nearby to try to see if you can reproduce it on another charger. If so, then I'd definitely take it in.

·
787 Posts
This type of issues will be hard to troubleshoot even for technician....what someone should do is to record and try to see if there is problems with electricity delivery.....breaker and wiring overheating .... not plugging in all the way.....EVSE that is working at max rated current and it is overheating.
If all of above are checked and no user fault is found in handling plugging unplugging.....if your EVSE has option to lower current rating drop it to 24 amp or less on 240 L2 EVSE ( talking about US market) and try again....if there is no fault happening no more this would point out to EVSE issues. For checking electricity coming to your EVSE you should check Voltage drop under load after 30 minutes of continuous charging....then try to start other electric things in the house like house AC conditioning....or anything else that is using two phase 240 V .... and if there is any big Voltage drop happening while you starting other high power appliances in the house....this will be your Electricity supply side....to check wiring ....dedicated breaker.....EVSE......cable going from EVSE to the car....( fellas with not using hard wiring should also check cable for supply of electricity to EVSE) can use infrared scanner or thermal imaging camera...... most of the issues would be on terminals where connections are made.
And once all of this is eliminated and it is no issues found..... try from someone else different EVSE( known that is not making EV misbehaving)...and after all this still experiencing problems then there will be enough for technician to find what is happening on the ID.4 side of problems.
There will be people complaining about EVSE that they charge at all or tripping after little time..... Some EVSE just don't have good protocol for handling communications between EV and EVSE.
Sometimes small software update to the EVSE motherboard is all it takes....I do also understand that this could be to difficult for some people out there.... but this will have to be inspected ....

·
63 Posts
I've had my ID.4 since end of March 2021 ... and just over 7000 miles in the UK.

"Emergency charging only" has happened about twice a month for me, it occasionally does it ... my solution was to carefully clean the pins in the charger port (we have Type 2 in Europe) ... in both the charger cable and port on the car with a cotton ear-bud. Do it carefully, just to remove any film/damp/grease on the pins, and in the socket - but turn the power to your Home charger OFF - for safety.

I drive alot of miles and use a mix of chargers out and about, I think it's dirt/contaminants that cause the issue - on a "fussy" connector that errors if it doesn't get a good connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts