Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blk
35 Posts
Instead of scheduling charging through the car, can’t you just schedule charging through your L2 home charger?

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue
111 Posts
Has anyone checked to see how much of a vampire load is on when doing this? If it's not too much, then I'm going to try it out tonight.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro RWD Black
29 Posts
Months later with colder weather in the near future I attempted this but I was trying to make it simple for me to set up and take down so I wasnt using a board to distribute the weights.

I took a backpack and shoved it full of wrist and ankle weights filled with sand. Id estimate it was roughly 20 pounds.

I then took a small blanket and shoved it into the backpack so the weights wouldn't all shift to one end.

Unfortunately, that wasn't enough weight to trigger the battery terminals. I then added a 12 pound medicine ball on top of the backpack. Lets estimate about 30ish pounds now. Still wouldn't trigger. I then put a few more pounds of pressure with my hand and that did it. Id estimate I would need a good 40-50 pounds to make it reliable.

I ran out of time to test but I will grab some iron plates to add to the backpack sometime this week and if that works ill continue replicating heavyt's test because I would very much like to time my charging so my battery and cabin are nice and warm using the outlet power prior to me leaving for work in these soon too be cold mornings.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro RWD Black
29 Posts
I was at home all day today so I finally got around to testing some scheduled charging stuff. I checked the car every 30 minutes to see what it was or wasn't doing.

First I tried weight on the seat, then I tried the "seat belt trick" where you buckle the seat belt behind your back to fool the car that you're still in the seat. Both had the same behaviors.

When the window starts the battery thermal management kicks in and pulls power from the evse to do this but does not charge the battery until it hits it's estimate of when it needs to start. The fact that the thermal management kicks in and stays on tells me the car isn't asleep. When I test without the work around, it doesn't do this.

When it hits it's estimate it starts charging and based on the amount needed to reach 80% this seemed fairly spot on but after a few minutes of charging it just stops but the thermal management keeps going until the end of the window. Once it reaches the end of the window the car faults my evse (red light). The fact that it stops on time tells me its keeping track of time, correctly.

So the test was a failure and after I couldn't delete the schedule/location, it said "feature not available" and if I plugged in my car it faulted right away. I had to walk away for an hour or so and then I could delete the location and everything finished charging as normal with no red lights.

The original OP had a different experience but its totally possible im doing things differently and/or my environment (model, software version, settings, evse etc.) Are different.

Ill go back to using car net (when its working) to manually stop and start charging when I want to. I'll be ok this winter with a garage but I'd be even more frustrated if I was parked outside. Ideally I'd want charging to end just before I have to leave so my battery is nice and warm. I'd also love my windows to be defrosted when I leave work... Looks like a manual job for now....

·
190 Posts
If car-net was reliable and worked every time, the iOS shortcuts would work great with automations. Half of the time when I press the shortcuts, it won’t communicate with car-net. I know the issue isn’t the shortcut because opening the car-net app results in the same error.
Colorfulness Product Green Communication Device Font

·
2021 ID.4 Pro RWD Black
29 Posts
If car-net was reliable and worked every time, the iOS shortcuts would work great with automations. Half of the time when I press the shortcuts, it won’t communicate with car-net. I know the issue isn’t the shortcut because opening the car-net app results in the same error.
I'm fairly confident their servers just go down at random. I've gone out to sit in the car to make sure it's "awake" and has 4g and it still fails.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts