Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VV ID.4 GTX King's red
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of times I've had issues with the Cruise Control. Both times in light snowy weather. My dashboard flashes out with all kinds of warnings. No automatic braking, no assistance to what ever appears in the front of the car and finally the ACC becomes inactive. Happened to me at the highway so I thought I could use the Cruise Control without the Adaptive feature... but NO! I tried to disable all the features in the infotainment screen but just not the Adaptive thing. There is no TA button on the steering wheel and no options when sliding the options of the Cruise Control. Am I missing something, my car missing something or VW missing something?
Live in Iceland and had my
Rectangle Grille Font Gas Wood
Car Steering part Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle
Font Auto part Display device Electronic device Automotive design

GTX in August 2021 with Assistance Plus package (360° camera, Side Assist, Electrical and touchfree tailgate opening).

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
576 Posts
Haven't had this issue with my ID.4 at all, but it was a major pain with my Chevy Volt - Happened all the time and didn't require snow for it to happen either

This just shows the limitations of the system - It disconnects and warns you to take over rather when it can't safely continue as normal. Thankfully, VW's implementation of the technology is about 5 times better than GM's

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
271 Posts
I had those issues this morning with snow and rain in the dark. Also had constant take overs steering and stay centered in the lane warnings to the point where I just turned it off so damn annoying. My guess is the cameras can’t figure it out and perhaps the developers of the software were paid by warning and error messages. It needs a lot of work.

·
1st Edition
327 Posts
I had something similar happen the other day, low light and snow mixed with sleet. All of the assist systems appeared to go offline, I assume the camera and or sensors were obscured by the snow. Everything fine after parking.

My Volvo had the BLIS system (blindside warning via sensors) which would fault in the rain. It rains a lot here. You either had to turn the system off, or endure flashing error messages.

Hopefully, future tech will be able to overcome the limitations of current systems.

·
ID.4 AWD Pro S deposit 3/15, ordered 10/19
21 Posts
Sounds to me that the system is just doing what it is supposed to do. I live in the snow belt and most people do not use their cruise control when there is snow, light or heavy.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
271 Posts
Sounds to me that the system is just doing what it is supposed to do. I live in the snow belt and most people do not use their cruise control when there is snow, light or heavy.
It should disengage when it can’t handle it rather than throw up tons of false warning messages. My Mercedes Sprinter turns off and tells you. Better handling of the conditions in software. The VW developers are second or third tier. Guess they got what they paid for by outsourcing.

At least they figured out their mistakes and are starting over, in-house.

·
VV ID.4 GTX King's red
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonder if cars with The Traffic Alert button can choose between normal Cruise Control and Adaptive Cruise Control ? Mine can either choose between ACC and LIM function when using the mode buttons. Anyone out there with more choices?

·
13 Posts
Have not recived my ID 4 GTX yet but got the same problem on both my Tiguan and Golf when its snowing "slushy"/wet/heavy snow. Its possible to stop and clean the sensor in the front but it will only solve it for a while.

Guess its the sensor still is located behind the VW-logo.

·
62 Posts
It is, sort of - in a thread about adding the lit logo to the FE, there were some pictures showing that it's mounted behind the fascia below the logo. This photo of a 2020+ CR-V, facelifted version of mine (still waiting on my ID.4), shows the sensor being in a similar position -- just in front of the fascia instead of behind it.

I once had my ACC stop working, along with emergency braking, when that sensor was obscured by sticky snow. Wiping it down with my hand got everything back at the next start.

·
2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
258 Posts
I've found that Lane Assist doesn't work well in the rain at night or on highways with large reflectors embedded in the lines at night..

Reactions: systemlogicblah

·
136 Posts
Yeah, this happens with my Subaru and it’s eyesight system in various conditions. As Eyesight is a camera based system, wet roads with high reflectivity and lots of street lights are what usually leads to it throwing in the towel. There’s one road in my town in particular that looks goofy to my own eyes when it’s wet at night, and it’s usually that one road that dekes out the automation. Not a huge deal, the car just temporarily reverts to a regular old car - just like broken escalators turn into staircases. Once the picture changes a little, it’s back to its old self. IMO, it’s a safer failure mode than the system incorrectly interpreting data.

·
34 Posts
On my old Leaf 2020 Tekna, when the sensor was oversnowed, I could activate cruise control without the adaptive part by holding the cruise control button. I don't think the ID3/4 has the same possibility.

·
VV ID.4 GTX King's red
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have not recived my ID 4 GTX yet but got the same problem on both my Tiguan and Golf when its snowing "slushy"/wet/heavy snow. Its possible to stop and clean the sensor in the front but it will only solve it for a while.

Guess its the sensor still is located behind the VW-logo.
I think there is some kind of a radar behind the logo but there are also approximate sensors in the bumper and camera behind the windscreen.You would think that if a system cannot support you keeping distance to next car (adaptive) then it whould go to basic cruise control, but no! Switches it totally off. And not much needed. If only minor ice layer is needed to block the sensor (logo) why not have it heated?

·
5 Posts
I encountered something similar in my ID.4 Pro AWD in the first days after I got it, during the Christmas storms at Tahoe. Being unfamiliar with the car, I couldn't figure out how to switch to normal cruise control, and since I figured this out it hasn't snowed much. I think if you switch too standard cruise control it will work without sensors provided the wheels don't detect slippage, but haven't tested this extensively. To switch to standard cruise control you have to press the mode button, then slide your finger across the mode button to the right. You can't press the mode button, you have to slide. Not sure if this answers your question or helps, but it helped me to figure this out.

Alec

·
39 Posts
I have got the same warning at my ID4, when driving in cold snowy weather, the warning "No automatic braking" symbol appaered on highway when I miss to used wipers and fluid, when I then turned wipers and extra fluid on it also clean topcamera and symbol where gone!

When driving another day in VERY cold weather (-17 deg, no snowing) for the second time "no brake symbol" appeared... I had alot of snow that time on the car and also at the front spoiler, after using the preheater before i started to drive next time, same day, the symbol disappear!

·
7 Posts
Last week I had the same thing with the sensors being obstructed, I was able to activate old school cruise control by clicking the mode button and then swiping the mode button to the other option. I don't know if this common knowledge but I had clicked the mode button a bunch of times and could not figure out how to select the other option so hopefully this helps.

·
ID.4 GTX
79 Posts
Only had my ID.4 for a couple of hours, so not had it happen on it yet. However I did have a Tiguan for 3 years before, and this is common and I'd even say "normal" behaviour more or less across all VW cars (work collages has Touregs, Caddy Life and Passats) and it happens on all of them as soon as there is "sticky snow".

I think there is some kind of a radar behind the logo
The radar isn't in the logo, it's directly under it. "Number 5" on the attached image.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

1 - 19 of 19 Posts