Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. 2023 ID4 AWD pro s from TN. When cruising on the highway with ACC on it keeps going to the left line than to the right line and again left and right instead of staying in the center of the lane and after several seconds driving like a drunk 😉 it ask me to stay in the center when it controls the driving 🤪😂. Anyone with similar problems? I know I have to take it to the dealer to look at it and probably adjust the sensors or something but wanted to get feedback if someone or all have same problem. Of course I know it’s not self driving car but this system works good on my 2018 atlas and id4 should be even more advanced…

·
2023 ID 4 Pro S AWD Pearl Black/Galaxy
200 Posts
Hello. 2023 ID4 AWD pro s from TN. When cruising on the highway with ACC on it keeps going to the left line than to the right line and again left and right instead of staying in the center of the lane and after several seconds driving like a drunk 😉 it ask me to stay in the center when it controls the driving 🤪😂. Anyone with similar problems? I know I have to take it to the dealer to look at it and probably adjust the sensors or something but wanted to get feedback if someone or all have same problem. Of course I know it’s not self driving car but this system works good on my 2018 atlas and id4 should be even more advanced…
ACC does not keep your car in the lane.
You need to activate Travel Assist (which includes ACC).
It sounds like you are using ACC with Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) which does not steer the car, but instead "jerks" it away from the edge of the lane.

RTFM - it's your friend.

·
Premium Member
2022 Pro S AWD v3.1
931 Posts
Does the 2018 Atlas have Lane Keep Assist (LKA?)

You may indeed have a calibration issue, but you're also describing why I never use LKA. I have LKA disabled in the settings. If I engage Travel Assist, LKA will turn on. If I engage only ACC, there's no LKA. That's how I want it.

You may be lectured here that you're doing it wrong. But you may not be doing anything wrong at all. That's what LKA does is nudge you left and right as it sees fit. Some owners love that. I hate it. :)

·
2023 ID 4 Pro S AWD Pearl Black/Galaxy
200 Posts

You may indeed have a calibration issue, but you're also describing why I never use LKA. I have LKA disabled in the settings. If I engage Travel Assist, LKA will turn on. If I engage only ACC, there's no LKA. That's how I want it.

You may be lectured here that you're doing it wrong. But you may not be doing anything wrong at all. That's what LKA does is nudge you left and right as it sees fit. Some owners love that. I hate it. :)
I think you are mistaken.
Travel assist steers the vehicle to remain more or less centered in the lane, and even supports automated lane change.
It behaves very different from LKA.

·
1,753 Posts
I think you are mistaken.
Travel assist steers the vehicle to remain more or less centered in the lane, and even supports automated lane change.
It behaves very different from LKA.
Yes. LKA is only one part of Travel Assist, which also includes Lane Centering and ACC, and now with 2023 cars, the automated lane changing. LKA and ACC can be controlled separately, and when LKA and ACC are activated together without Travel Assist, you get the behavior described by the OP.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried with TA and it drives in the center but after couple of seconds keeps asking to take over the wheel :( , also it suppose to change lane when you flip turn signal but it doesn’t. Will try on a beer highway to see if problem lies on the road and road markers side…

·
1,753 Posts
I tried with TA and it drives in the center but after couple of seconds keeps asking to take over the wheel :( , also it suppose to change lane when you flip turn signal but it doesn’t. Will try on a beer highway to see if problem lies on the road and road markers side…
You have to keep your hands on the wheel. It’s an assist system, not a self-driving system.

·
Premium Member
2022 Pro S AWD v3.1
931 Posts
There are a lot of misconceptions and misconstrued expectations about how this system works. The car is not self-driving and your hands must remain on the steering wheel because the driver is The Decider. Not the car. shrug

Sorry to be That Guy but self-driving cars don’t exist yet under any brand, not even Tesla.

·
3,343 Posts
Hands on the wheels should be always there.
Steering wheel has sensors that will know if you have no hands on....you can watch YouTube videos to learn how to use and what are the limitations.

·
626 Posts

I routinely refer to “Lane Keeping Assist” as “Jerk Me Around Mode” because that's the principal effect I get from it. I find it often makes poor choices, often jerking me around even when there AREN'T any lane markers (such as when I approach a toll plaza); it's obviously reacting to things that aren't real.

I've nearly trained myself to always turn it off as part of my start-up sequence.

·
388 Posts
While you do have to keep a hand on the wheel with Travel Assist, you don't actually have to do any manual steering to keep the car centered in the lane. I've found that resting one hand lightly on the bottom of the steering wheel is enough for things to work correctly. While not hands-free driving, I find TA leaves me a bit more relaxed on longer highway trips. Of course, this assumes the lane marks are clear enough to allow the system to work. The system can be fooled by things that aren't painted white or yellow lane lines such, such as long runs of shiny tar used to fill cracks or old line marks that have been painted black that contrast against the road surface and such. That's why you still want a hand on the wheel and also why it is going to be a real challenge for full self-driving cars. The inconsistencies in our road system are just so numerous that it is going to be extraordinarily difficult to build a system that correctly interprets all of them. A misinterpreted situation by an autonomous system could result in a serious accident.

·
626 Posts
Thanks. I just thought we are in self driving cars era 🤪. I have limited trust in that anyway 😂
I haven't decided which is the bigger cognitive load: 1) Driving or 2) Monitoring the automation that's doing the driving.

My current thinking is that #2 is two or three times more cognitive load but that may change as I get more used to it.

·
2,176 Posts
It depends on the road but I have found even on country highways through the hills and mountains that the ACC handles most every corner safely and even slowed down the one time I didn’t use the capacitive speed control (I often use it up and down for fun) on a tight corner going too fast. The car slowed down safely in the tight corner automatically and we “whooshed” through like on an E-ticket roller coaster!

·
Premium Member
2022 Pro S AWD v3.1
931 Posts
It depends on the road but I have found even on country highways through the hills and mountains that the ACC handles most every corner safely and even slowed down the one time I didn’t use the capacitive speed control (I often use it up and down for fun) on a tight corner going too fast. The car slowed down safely in the tight corner automatically and we “whooshed” through like on an E-ticket roller coaster!
ACC is great!

·
994 Posts
I think the requirement is to put in some steering input every few seconds. I don’t think it has a capacitative or similar hand detector. I use travel assist whenever possible and find it works pretty well. It seems to allow the car to be centered in the lane or offset to the right side. In the latter case, the tires run a couple of inches from the white stripe.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S AWD w/Gradient - Kings Red
128 Posts
I think the requirement is to put in some steering input every few seconds. I don’t think it has a capacitative or similar hand detector. I use travel assist whenever possible and find it works pretty well. It seems to allow the car to be centered in the lane or offset to the right side. In the latter case, the tires run a couple of inches from the white stripe.
It is capacitive touch and does not require any torque applied to the wheel - just a touch to show you are still alive and monitoring.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient RWD
403 Posts
It can be corrected to center. Just manually steer the car to the center and push the Travel Assist button again. That way you can move it more to the center if it was at either the right or left side of the lane. If it goes right back to where it started, just try again and move it a little bit more to the center. Works for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts