Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the ID.4’s we are getting in the states, does the car have the ability to change speed in ACC/Travel Assist based on the recognized road signs? This is clearly a function in the ID’s overseas, but I see no way to enable here. Just wondering if someone in the US has figured it out?

·
100 Posts
I think you are referring to the Eco Assistance feature. It is supposed to be included on US spec ID.4's however that does not seem to be the case, at least on the initial batch of vehicles. Maybe in a future OTA?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,571 Posts
Thanks FinleyFinn for reminding me that even in 'D' mode the bulk of the braking action is via the motor itself. We won't be replacing brake pads very often. :) I'll continue to use 'D' on the highway but do like the increased braking of 'B' mode around town.

"The coasting function ['D' mode], whereby drivers take their foot off the accelerator pedal early on, makes for relaxed and predictable driving. Should drivers want to decelerate more, they step on the brake pedal and activate brake energy recuperation. During the majority of everyday braking maneuvers—up to around 0.25 g of deceleration—the electric drive motor performs the braking alone, while the electric brake servo only activates the friction brakes in situations that demand more stopping power. The transition from generator-based to hydraulic braking goes almost unnoticed, thanks to highly accurate and swift brake and drive system control. These systems also make sure that the rear wheels, where brake energy recuperation takes place, always have a sufficient amount of grip."

Ok, now back to sign recognition, which would be nice. But related, I like that the speed limit signs are shown on the displays thanks to the Nav system. In my Audi that was lost late Dec '20 when Google parted ways and that cellular-based Nav overlay feature departed with it.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
193 Posts
Here is a video by ID.Furkan that demonstrates Eco Assistance (aka Intelligent Regen).
This is pure intelligent regeneration. What he wants is changing ACC limit depending on road signage on the road. This is in the ACC option, which i disabled since hour zero. Too much of an hassle in The Netherlands with time depended speedlimits.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
121 Posts
It's interesting that so many of these features we see are available in Europe, but in the US. I'm wondering, is this due to consumer expectations (with more technology and features being wanted by European buyers), or due to a tighter regulatory framework in the US, where new technologies need further testing before being approved? Or something else?

·
100 Posts
This is pure intelligent regeneration. What he wants is changing ACC limit depending on road signage on the road. This is in the ACC option, which i disabled since hour zero. Too much of an hassle in The Netherlands with time depended speedlimits.
Thank you ID.Furkan for your videos. Does Eco Assist also recognize speed limits or is it only intersections and other vehicles?

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I do not think it changes the speed of the vehicle--I haven't noticed that occurring. The settings allow a visual and/or audio notification when the speed limit is exceeded by 3 or 5 mph. I have mine set to visual only but will probably turn it off this weekend because it's annoying.

·
324 Posts
I do not think it changes the speed of the vehicle--I haven't noticed that occurring. The settings allow a visual and/or audio notification when the speed limit is exceeded by 3 or 5 mph. I have mine set to visual only but will probably turn it off this weekend because it's annoying.
Just to be clear, are you saying that with Travel Assist on and the speed limit is 70 mph, it will not slow down automatically if the speed limit changes to 60? If that is the case, I'm going to have to reconsider the Mach-e.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
Just to be clear, are you saying that with Travel Assist on and the speed limit is 70 mph, it will not slow down automatically if the speed limit changes to 60? If that is the case, I'm going to have to reconsider the Mach-e.
I have not seen or experienced a setting like that so far. Whether it has that capacity I can't say definitively, but given the settings I have seen allow for 0, 3, 5 mph over the limit with a visual or audible notification ("you've gone over the speed limit" and ding, respectively) I don't think it has an auto reduce speed option.

·
538 Posts
Its a feature in the rest of the world, the UK manual calls it 'Speed limiter with predictive control' on pg.149. I am curious what the US manual says about this feature. It also says not available in all countries. Its also mentioned in the ACC part of the manual a few pages later under 'Predictive cruise control system '.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
The cruise control sections starts on p.136 in the US manual. I'm not finding anything regarding PCC there or in the index.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I searched high and low today and the US cars do not have this. As a matter of fact the US ID.4’s are significantly neutered.

I wish we could convey to VW that not everyone in the US is the mouth breathing, knuckle dragging luddites always portrayed in the media and observed here and there. Some of us are more sophisticated and can definitely figure out these “advanced” features. I am starting to get real annoyed with VW every time I see a perfectly useful feature inexplicably removed from the US version to cater to the low information least common denominator buyers. I get it we have a ton of dumbfounded dips**** living here, but this does not represent all of us. </rant>

·
538 Posts
It could also be our legal system or regulatory system that prevents/scares VW from offering some of these things in the US. I hope it may just be features that they will activate in the future with OTA, and hopefully not for a subscription fee like the tech world and tesla and so many others are starting to like. I hear the really cool adaptive headlights may be a feature like this where they just need the darn approvals so we can get it in a future OTA update.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It could also be our legal system or regulatory system that prevents/scares VW from offering some of these things in the US. I hope it may just be features that they will activate in the future with OTA, and hopefully not for a subscription fee like the tech world and tesla and so many others are starting to like. I hear the really cool adaptive headlights may be a feature like this where they just need the darn approvals so we can get it in a future OTA update.
Certainly a lot of it is our regulatory system, but comments from VW give the impression that they dumbed things down so that the ICE drivers could figure it out.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
Certainly a lot of it is our regulatory system, but comments from VW give the impression that they dumbed things down so that the ICE drivers could figure it out.
Or are they afraid that American drivers would take a nap while driving?:unsure:

That's the problem as we start to get more features like this. Drivers will zone out and watch videos, sleep or do something else they aren't supposed to.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I don't know if "afraid" is the right way to phrase that. Pretty sure they've convinced we're using our phones and actively preventing it; if not them, our US government and, from what I've read and heard, they're not wrong in that assumption :(

·
18 Posts
I imagine VW doesn't want a thousands of cases where they get sued because the ACC adjusted to the wrong speed.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I imagine VW doesn't want a thousands of cases where they get sued because the ACC adjusted to the wrong speed.
Yeah, and the US is not, shall we say, well-marked!

I keep having to remind my wife that the system is using actual cameras because she thinks it should be GPS based and keeps updating me that it gets the speed limits wrong...I'm like, if it doesn't see the sign it won't adjust the dash notification.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts