Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
2021 Pro AWD
427 Posts
Today, installed a jumper fuse, removed the rear wiper fuse, and bingo same error so must be an electrical gremlin in the wiring/fuses? Call to the dealer on Monday I thinks. At least they can do the recall for the battery and 2.4 software update!
okay this is very interesting

my first airbag error happened not that long after installing jumper fuse for dash cam and moving fuse for 12v rear outlet to 'always on'

a few weeks before the second airbag error, I noticed that the rear 12v wasn't working , which was very weird because I had not used it except to briefly test a tire compressor. Confirmed fuse was tripped and replaced it

·
2021 Pro AWD
427 Posts
You can still drive....let them inspect and order parts and bring it back once they have parts on hand. They will have to trace wiring for possible cause. Also have them test load sensors in the seat that turns this side on if there is passenger seating.
Winner winner. It was the front passenger seat load sensor that was the root cause (at least, so it appears). There is at least one other thread on ID4 airbag error caused by defective front passenger load sensor on this site. Unfortunately, they misdiagnosed mine the first time and put a $500 airbag in instead of a $100 harness. If anyone is wondering, the load sensor worked outwardly -- it detected passengers and the car indicated the airbag was on for that side when I had a passenger.

I continued to drive the car and they ordered part 11B971392F (11B-971-392-F) (harness). Even though some online dealers show this in stock, they gave me estimate of 3-4 weeks for part arrival and it took about 4 weeks. Then I dropped my car off for what was going to be an overnight repair but it took a week because the BEV trained traveling tech wasn't available right away.

Here is what the tech wrote this time:
"Fault code present B100A11 PASS AIRBAG SHORT TO GROUND, carried out further diag removed passenger seat gained access to TSVR connector, check connector T17X, drag test pins within spec. Remove console, remove carpet, gain access to airbag module J234, remove module and connector T140A. Connector check pins darg test within spec, carried out wiring continuity test between T140A Pin 12 and T17W Pin 8, confirm signal voltage within spec, no signs of short to ground. Check from pin 9 at T17W to Pin 46 at 140A at J234 confirm within spec, check for short to ground wtihin spec. Confirmed internal error at seat harness. Remove seat and upholestery and cushion, replace harness, refit covers, refit airbag module and connector. Refit carpet and trim. Refit seats. Clear codes. Road tested vehicle."

·
3,346 Posts
Winner winner. It was the front passenger seat load sensor that was the root cause (at least, so it appears). There is at least one other thread on ID4 airbag error caused by defective front passenger load sensor on this site. Unfortunately, they misdiagnosed mine the first time and put a $500 airbag in instead of a $100 harness. If anyone is wondering, the load sensor worked outwardly -- it detected passengers and the car indicated the airbag was on for that side when I had a passenger.

I continued to drive the car and they ordered part 11B971392F (11B-971-392-F) (harness). Even though some online dealers show this in stock, they gave me estimate of 3-4 weeks for part arrival and it took about 4 weeks. Then I dropped my car off for what was going to be an overnight repair but it took a week because the BEV trained traveling tech wasn't available right away.

Here is what the tech wrote this time:
"Fault code present B100A11 PASS AIRBAG SHORT TO GROUND, carried out further diag removed passenger seat gained access to TSVR connector, check connector T17X, drag test pins within spec. Remove console, remove carpet, gain access to airbag module J234, remove module and connector T140A. Connector check pins darg test within spec, carried out wiring continuity test between T140A Pin 12 and T17W Pin 8, confirm signal voltage within spec, no signs of short to ground. Check from pin 9 at T17W to Pin 46 at 140A at J234 confirm within spec, check for short to ground wtihin spec. Confirmed internal error at seat harness. Remove seat and upholestery and cushion, replace harness, refit covers, refit airbag module and connector. Refit carpet and trim. Refit seats. Clear codes. Road tested vehicle."
Great, you have it fixed now.

·
Premium Member
2022 Pro S AWD v3.1
931 Posts
My '22 has started throwing a yellow Airbag Error. It's intermittent and only stays on for 5-10 seconds, then goes away. It's not clear whether it's the driver or passenger airbag. I guess I'll do a VCDS scan, and probably end up booking a service appointment. If I find any useful information with VCDS I'll share it here.

·
Premium Member
2022 Pro S AWD v3.1
931 Posts
Following up, here's the relevant airbag fault code from VCDS:

Address 15: Airbags (J234) Labels: 1EA-959-655.clb
1 Fault Found:
9577969 - Sensor Matt for Seat Occupied Detection
B1225 F1 [040] - Open Circuit in Shield Wire

Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 16
Reset counter: 37

·
505 Posts
Well today was disappointing.

Car has been in dealer's possession 11/11/21 - 12/7/21.
Diagnosis was made 11/12/21, parts ordered that day and did not arrive until 12/1/21, repair completed 12/3/21 but 'trim piece' was damaged, received call that car is ready today 12/7/21.

Arrived, got in car, and airbag light is still on / came back on and didn't make it out of dealer lot. Will stay at dealer.

Service notes are pretty detailed, but if I'm reading correctly the airbag they replaced pinned out okay but maybe they ran out of ideas?
"confirm fault code stored b100a11 pass side airbag open circuit n200 carried out diag loosen seat gain access to T17 connection check pins 8&9 drag test pins within spec"
"remove center console gain access to j234 control module remove module & connector check pins 12 & 46 drag test pins within spec check module & pins"
"deenergize h/v system remove pass seat remove padding remove n200 airback check t/3 connector drag test terminals confirm internal error at airbag n200, replace, refit padding and seat."

Part number of supposedly defective airbag that was replaced without resolution of problem: 1 11A-880-242-P
Will update hopefully with resolution in coming weeks...
Looks like you may be able to make a Lemon claim. Read the Lemon Law in your state.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts