Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
1 Posts
Alex's review is up.

I attended ID.4 roadshow today in Century City. Drove an ID$ and was favorably impressed. I observed a generic fixed square hitch. When I asked I was told that the US 1st Editions will not have the retractable hitch. Dissapointing change I had not heard about. Anyone have any other info on this?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
I attended ID.4 roadshow today in Century City. Drove an ID$ and was favorably impressed. I observed a generic fixed square hitch. When I asked I was told that the US 1st Editions will not have the retractable hitch. Dissapointing change I had not heard about. Anyone have any other info on this?
I did too. What time did you go? We had a 1:30ish time ourselves.

·
694 Posts
This has been asked and answered several times here. US versions will be getting the Class II 1.25" square receiver hitch. US will NOT be getting the drop down ball hitch.

Reactions: theboomr

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
The hitch wasn't changed. It was never advertised or spec'd as such in the US. While it's design was neat, the retractable ball hitch would not have the same utility a receiver would have. More buyers will use it for a bicycle carrier than for towing. All buyers will have the option to use it how they need to.

Reactions: theboomr

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
For what it's worth, VW has been offering hidden and/or retractable towing hitches in Europe for, gosh, it's probably decades now. They've never made it to the U.S.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Another great and even handed review. I agree with everything he said, plus and minus.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
I like that he pointed out how it could be difficult to clean the rear window under that spoiler overhang...not something I had thought about before, and exactly the kind of thing I will get very irritated about lol. A lot of car washes would probably have trouble cleaning well under there too. Still keeping my reservation though.

·
40 Posts
Did my test drive today. I have to say it’s a pretty good EV. Power was more than enough for me. Like B mode in sport setting more than anything else. I’m curious how it’ll pull with a full load. Exterior looks probably too mainstream for me. It won’t turn heads like the Mach-E. Didn’t mess around with the infotainment as much. I was more concerned how it drives. Only downside for me is the regen braking one pedal driving. That’s one thing I like about my 2020 Bolt. The Bolt has excellent regen one pedal driving.

·
142 Posts
This has been asked and answered several times here. US versions will be getting the Class II 1.25" square receiver hitch. US will NOT be getting the drop down ball hitch.
It is a Class 1 receiver hitch w/tow rating 2,200 lbs.

·
540 Posts
I see a rating on mine of 2700 lbs. But that is the AWD gets a higher rating than the RWD.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
All CUV/SUV rear ends get quickly dirty from the 'spoiled' streamlined air at that point. Just the nature of the beast. My wife's GLA has an overhang and I've not found hand washing there to be difficult although a bit more work than if it didn't exist. Just another 'nook & cranny.'

I had been waiting for Alex's review and wasn't disappointed. ;)

I like that he pointed out how it could be difficult to clean the rear window under that spoiler overhang...not something I had thought about before, and exactly the kind of thing I will get very irritated about lol. A lot of car washes would probably have trouble cleaning well under there too. Still keeping my reservation though.

·
694 Posts
It is a Class II receiver hitch. The RWD is rated at 2,200 lbs, the AWD is rated at 2,700 lbs.

·
694 Posts
Correct. Not sure why it is so much less than AWD. I am sure RWD will be able to tow 2,400 lbs with no problem.
I wonder if it is to limit the load on the drivetrain.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
All CUV/SUV rear ends get quickly dirty from the 'spoiled' streamlined air at that point. Just the nature of the beast. My wife's GLA has an overhang and I've not found hand washing there to be difficult although a bit more work than if it didn't exist. Just another 'nook & cranny.'

I had been waiting for Alex's review and wasn't disappointed. ;)
Hand washing is not something I am particularly keen on I'm just still used to my '99 CR-V that I drove from 2009-2018 that has no nooks or crannies on the rear glass at all, which made for extremely easy and quick cleaning at the gas station. Of course with an EV, one does not go to gas stations...this is something I've been grappling with continuously since getting my Bolt in 2018, the back window gets extremely dusted up outside of the reach of the rear wiper, and I almost never find the time to clean it.

·
ID.4 FE
93 Posts
Hand washing is not something I am particularly keen on I'm just still used to my '99 CR-V that I drove from 2009-2018 that has no nooks or crannies on the rear glass at all, which made for extremely easy and quick cleaning at the gas station. Of course with an EV, one does not go to gas stations...this is something I've been grappling with continuously since getting my Bolt in 2018, the back window gets extremely dusted up outside of the reach of the rear wiper, and I almost never find the time to clean it.
I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey and it has an overhang over the rear glass. The few times a year I take it to the car wash, they have people who use brushes to pretreat the front and rear of each car. It’s about 50/50 if they push the bristles underneath the overhand to get everything. Can’t use the gas station window cleaners under it. Have accepted that and live with it. Doesn’t really bother me much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts