Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a 450 mile (725km) trip this week with my ID4;1st Ed. Had a slew of stops & was able to reach all appointments with the exception of one. Was a real marathon that I would like to share my recent experience with all those who are having either:
~ range anxiety
~ frustration with EA infrastructure
NOTE: This trip was Personal, NOT Professional. i.e. I don't want some sphincter messing with my personal charge account with EA... I have been reading about nerfed sessions & this trip was planned to "check" the talk with a "walk-the-walk".

I took the time to charge my ride to 100% on my Flo X5 with a scheduled departure at 5:45 AM. Weather conditions were calm wind & 22ºF (-5.5ºC) setting out from Montpelier, VT. When I got in the car, the SoC was only 98% & it was still "charging" as I got an email from my X5 that the session was disrupted. So let's assume the pack was really not getting too warmed with my 7.2kW EVSE & the BMS was struggling to get that last 2%. PS It was plugged in all night.

Here is my route for the day...
Ecoregion Map Natural environment World Line

For the purposes of my trip, I decided to make this a test. I had driven this route to Sebago with my ID4 probably about 20X since May. If I hustled, my efficiency had been 3.1 miles/kWh (20 kWh/100km). When I go "GPS speed" (speedometer "+2"), I would see about 3.4 miles/kWh (18.27 kWh/100km). Planned on setting Cruise Control at the posted speed limit +2 & set the car on "B." I had open road my entire ride to St. J. Nobody in front of me actually for the entire ride until Bartlett, NH (& surprisingly nobody tailgating me either).
I had 3 stops on my 1st leg to the EA in Scarborough, ME.
~ 5 minutes in N. Conway
~ 15 minutes in Standish, ME
~ 30 minutes stop in N. Windham

On the climb out of Montpelier, VT (620'asl = 189m) the route east on Rt 2 climbs up to Cabot at about 1600' asl (487m) then descends to about 500' as (152m) l in St. J. Out of St. J, the route on I-93 rolls up to 1400' asl (426m) & down to 800'asl (244m) 3X til Bethlehem, NH & Rt. 302. At this point, the route takes me east through Crawford Notch at the highest point of the route of about 1900'asl (579m).

I could tell the pack really was cold as my efficiency was in the dumps at about 2.0 mi/kWh (31 kWh/100km) all the way to Danville. However on the decent out of Danville to St. J., the regen down hill at 52 mph (84km/h), the efficiency climbed to 2.3 mi/kWh (27 kWh/100km). Then by the time I rolled in at my 1st stop in N. Conway, the car was reporting 2.6 mi/kWh (23.89 kWh/100km). At my 2nd stop in Standish, the car reported this:
Cloud Sky Communication Device Gadget Mobile device

Here is the route terrain profile for this leg. On this route, I watched the temperature.
~ Danville, VT- 18.5ºF (-7.5ºC)
~ Bethlehem, NH- 22ºF (-5.5ºC)
~ Crawford Notch- 17.5ºF (-8ºC)
~ Sebago, ME- 22ºF (-5.5ºC)
Water Product Azure Slope Rectangle

So at this point, I would convey that the pack was "warm." After my stop in N. Windham I went to the EA in Scarborough, ME. Arrived with a SoC of 11% & plugged in and the outside temperature was 26.5ºF (-3ºC). While I crunched my numbers on "Need" for the 2nd leg, I calculated that I'd need to charge to about 70%SoC for my stops in:
~ Peabody, MA
~ Lowell, MA
With the next session scheduled for the new EA in Nashua, NH (@the BIRD MALL). Sadly, this charge session topped out at 71kW from 11-30%, at which point the throttling began. Extremely disappointed as I was expecting 125kW. So a session that had taken 25 minutes in the past was 40 minutes. 15 minutes may sound like a 1st world problem, but there are expectations. & scheduling... As they say in New York City: Time is Money. It seems with EA: the other way around is being applied...

So, for Leg #2 of this trip down the coast to Massachusetts, the efficiency dropped to about 2.5 mi/kWh (24.85 kWh/100km) by the time I exited I-95 in Peabody, MA. The roads were icy til Kennebunk on Maine Turnpike & could not go faster than 45mph. Beyond this points south, the roads were dry. Stop in Peabody was 30 minutes, however my stop in Lowell, MA was 2 hours. So I was concerned that the pack would start to cool. Temperature was 34.5ºF (1.5ºC) & I stopped at a Lazerwash to remove the schmutz prior to my stop to arrive with a clean car.

Session #2 at an EA for this trip at the Bird Mall, I had a little bit of Mass Driver come out on that ride up Rt 3. (what? just going with the flow of the traffic...) I arrived with 7% SoC. Would I get some electron LOVE?? (125kw?) DENIED
For the session, at best I saw 74kW from 7-30% and then a throttle steadily til my end of 60%SoC over 30 minutes session. Same deal as before on the prior Signet unit. Lost 10 minutes here (compared to past sessions).

Factoring I needed the 50% to make it to West Lebanon, NH & the climb up I-89. I was anticipating about a 2.5 mi/kWh (24.85 kWh/100km) for the leg & planned for a 2.3 mi/kWh (27 kWh/100km ) real life. Had blowing snow out of Concord, NH & had my last stop in Warner, NH. Unfortunately that 30 minutes stop was long enough that I have snow covered roads with only the right lane bare all the way back to Montpelier. These Turanza's are not meant for passing on these conditions. Unless you like white knuckle driving & hearing your anti-locks constantly... Alas, slowing down to 55mph up over Sunapee/Grantham & down to West Lebanon, the ID4 stayed at a 2.5 mi/kWh (24.85 kWh/100km) efficiency.

Session #3 with falling snow in West Lebanon was an arrival with 10% SoC. So actually, I crunched my numbers exactly correct in Nashua. Only needed 60 miles (104km) to get home, however I got some road food & ate for a 32 minute session. At this Signet EA unit, I got 84 kW! Same deal as I had seen all day: 10-30% was at 84kW & then throttled down. At 65% it had throttled down enough, that I felt I was now wasting my time. (Thanks Björn Nyland & Battery Life Chris for the DC Fast Charging Inspiration/ Attitude).

Had an hour Nail Biter of the drive back to Montpelier. Returned home at 10 PM & the arrival Temp was the same as when I embarked earlier that day of 22ºF (-5.5ºC). Unpacked the car. Made a G&T & kicked back to decompress til about Midnight.

·
2,176 Posts
Here in Socal the weather has always been the same while I have driving my id4 up until very recently and my charging speeds are all over the place. I think the chargers themselves have issues and it is independent of my car battery. I have always charged below 10%. 130KW to 30KW are “normal” startup speeds I have seen for charging. My favorite pump reads 1-4KW and fills my battery to 80% in 35-40 minutes. LOL Better than before when this same pump was registering over 200KW! EA FTW

·
641 Posts
Wow I won't feel comfortable going in at 10% or lower particularly in winter. I would have charged to 75% at least at each stop.
If I recall @Mark Magiera is a former VW e-Golf owner so pushing the limits is almost a requirement. In fact I was down to 8% yesterday on my e-Golf after going to a part of New England with only a few level 2 chargers around.

Edit:
I have a theory that owning an older EV like an e-Golf and getting a newer (much better) EV like the ID.4 will help with getting the moist range out of the vehicle. Soon enough I will be able to test that theory.

·
463 Posts
I'm getting similar results at about 2.5 mi/kWh driving from Northampton to Acton, MA across Rt. 2. Yesterday upon arriving home after my 100 minute drive across the hills of central MA the battery temp was 47.6° F. I had my ID.4 on the included VW charger the whole time it was parked...for about four hours, since the ambient temp was about 36°F. I keep seeing this low pack temperature when it seems like it should be higher after a nearly two hour drive. I'm hoping some other people in cold climates start measuring their battery temps after driving. I'm really curious if 47-48° degrees is the expected operating temp during winter.

·
463 Posts
my stop in Lowell, MA was 2 hours. So I was concerned that the pack would start to cool. Temperature was 34.5ºF
I can offer an observation in that regard. I plugged in CarScanner recently after a 2+ hour drive to see what the battery temp was. As I was observing the readouts the battery temp was dropping right on-screen. It was dropping about one-tenth of a degree every couple of seconds. My takeaway is the battery is designed to very efficiently shed heat. It cools FAST. It seems as though in winter conditions the pack can drop 1°F per minute. If the pack temp is only around 48° it will reach the point of needing BMS warming in just a few minutes.

·
1,752 Posts
I can offer an observation in that regard. I plugged in CarScanner recently after a 2+ hour drive to see what the battery temp was. As I was observing the readouts the battery temp was dropping right on-screen. It was dropping about one-tenth of a degree every couple of seconds. My takeaway is the battery is designed to very efficiently shed heat. It cools FAST. It seems as though in winter conditions the pack can drop 1°F per minute. If the pack temp is only around 48° it will reach the point of needing BMS warming in just a few minutes.
This actually sounds like a good design — or at least a well-intentioned design — to my ears. Heat is the bane of lithium battery longevity. And it sounds like the BMS is erring on the side of keeping the pack cool. The downside of this design is slower charging times for a cool or cold battery pack.

In the end, it's all a balancing act, and I hope that the 3.0 software update will fine-tune this balance a bit more for cold weather conditions so that the pack is allowed to warm up if the car knows you're headed to do a DCFC on a road trip.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,864 Posts
I had my ID.4 on the included VW charger the whole time it was parked...for about four hours, since the ambient temp was about 36°F.
Based on new information posted by @VW TECHNICIAN the battery heater stops at 32F while parked and plugged in. 46F is where the heater turns off while driving. So that plug in did not help. Looks like 46F is where the heater comes on only while driving (and maybe while pre-conditioning the cabin?) The bottom of the battery is a large aluminum heat sink designed to transfer heat quickly from coolant to the battery, so it will transfer heat to the outside air very quickly too. I was thinking that a retractable/removable insulating blanket for the battery would be nice while parked in a garage, otherwise in my climate the heater will run often and waste a lot of heat anytime ambient is < 32F.

·
641 Posts
I'm getting similar results at about 2.5 mi/kWh driving from Northampton to Acton, MA across Rt. 2. Yesterday upon arriving home after my 100 minute drive across the hills of central MA the battery temp was 47.6° F. I had my ID.4 on the included VW charger the whole time it was parked...for about four hours, since the ambient temp was about 36°F. I keep seeing this low pack temperature when it seems like it should be higher after a nearly two hour drive. I'm hoping some other people in cold climates start measuring their battery temps after driving. I'm really curious if 47-48° degrees is the expected operating temp during winter.
I also drove that section of Rt 2 on Thursday (at 55 and mostly just the heated seat on). Wondering what your average speed was on Rt 2 and if you had heat on what your temperature was set to.

·
463 Posts
I also drove that section of Rt 2 on Thursday (at 55 and mostly just the heated seat on). Wondering what your average speed was on Rt 2 and if you had heat on what your temperature was set to.
On the two-lane section I try to drive at common road speed of other drivers when possible to avoid tailgaters and people who will pass regardless of double-lines or conditions, so probably around 60 mph (although the "status screen" indicates an average speed of 48 mph). I set the seat at 1 or 2 dots depending on how cold the cabin is, the steering wheel at 1 dot, and the cabin temp at 68°. After driving through the uphill sections I frequently get a little antsy watching the GOM drop so I'll turn off the cabin heat for 20 minutes or so until it gets cool inside...then back on again. Once the road opens up to four lanes I cruise around 60-65.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,864 Posts
I'm trying to find that post from @VW TECHNICIAN. Could you link to it? I have't been able to locate it.
It took a while to find, here you go:
Your onboard battery heater was active but as outside temperature raised it will conserve energy from L2 and let outside temperature warm battery using only coolant pump and radiator.
Battery modules temp are within temp parameters....and if you start driving it will use waisted heat coolant loop from propulsion unit and electronics to continue warming battery.
To really see how onboard battery heater is working you will need night and day temperatures at 32°F or colder.

·
Pro-S AWD reserved
17 Posts
Made a 450 mile (725km) trip this week with my ID4;1st Ed.
Thanks for the detailed report. Lot's of good data here, especially temperatures. It will help with my northern New England trip planning once my car arrives.

I had driven this route to Sebago with my ID4 probably about 20X since May. If I hustled, my efficiency had been 3.1 miles/kWh (20 kWh/100km). When I go "GPS speed" (speedometer "+2"), I would see about 3.4 miles/kWh (18.27 kWh/100km). Planned on setting Cruise Control at the posted speed limit +2 & set the car on "B."
Since you have done this trip so many times, have you considered doing it with the "D" mode and seeing how it compares? Based on my reading, coasting can be more efficient than regenerative braking as the regenerative braking is only about 80% efficient. You could momentarily switch to "B" mode for the steeper downhills, or just use the regenerative portion of the foot brake, but otherwise coast as long as your speed doesn't build up too much.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since you have done this trip so many times, have you considered doing it with the "D" mode and seeing how it compares? Based on my reading, coasting can be more efficient than regenerative braking as the regenerative braking is only about 80% efficient. You could momentarily switch to "B" mode for the steeper downhills, or just use the regenerative portion of the foot brake, but otherwise coast as long as your speed doesn't build up too much.
Yes, I have & it does not make a difference because.... I use the Cruise Control front assist exclusively and at all times. I keep it in B because when I override the Cruise Control for unanticipated braking or for a stop light or stop sign, I use the regen for B to get that lil extra...

Over the summer when my infotainment was fubar'd & prior to my ECM being replaced, I did have a trip where Cruise & front assist errored out on a ride to Maine & would not reset. So it was 3 hours of manual driving (in D) for that route. My ankle was killing me by the end of the drive. And... My efficiency for that specific drive was 3.1 miles/kWh (20 kWh/100km). By my experience, I get better efficiency in B & let the car regulate the regen & coast efficiencies.

By the way, when I go Kancamagus to Maine from Vermont, I get way better efficiency than going Crawford Notch. Reasoning? Top speed limit on the route is 50mph. VW in general have a sweet spot of 45mph. I have gotten 200 miles on my 35kWh pack on my e-Golf with 5.7mi/kWh. ID4 got 3.9mi/kWh on that route & in a few cases was indicating 4.1mi/kWh when I arrived on regen to Conway at the end of the Kanc.

·
463 Posts
I on the other hand consistently get better range using “D”. There are a number of variables that impact all of this so it doesn’t surprise me that some people get better results with one versus the other.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.