Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
2,176 Posts
I have not tracked it enough maybe but for me to get excited about doing something differently I expect to see a noticeable gain and I just never see it in my random tests. The miles per kilowatt stays the same during the commutes where I tried it at freeway speeds.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm not following this. Are you saying you get extra regen in B over using the foot brake in D?
Umm, yes. If I am driving as the lead vehicle (nobody in front of me) & I approach a traffic light that is changing. When I step on the brake (in B), cruise is disabled & my slowing either by coasting or by stepping on the brake is heavier on the regen than on a setting of D. Once I am at a stop at the traffic light line, I re-engage cruise, the car holds on the line & when the light turns green, I give the accelerator a tap & off we go...

To be further clear: When the cruise control is engaged with forward assist (keeping distance with the car in front of me), there is no difference in efficiency from D to B.

Again, I use the cruise control ALL the time (except in snow OR in snow in stop & go traffic, which is just stupid). Let the car do the work, saves my ankle. My foots is at the ready to override though.

Did I confuse you more or are you getting my meaning?

·
Pro-S AWD reserved
17 Posts
... When I step on the brake (in B), cruise is disabled & my slowing either by coasting or by stepping on the brake is heavier on the regen than on a setting of D. ...

Did I confuse you more or are you getting my meaning?
Yes, I'm getting your meaning now. Thanks for clarifying.

I didn't know that the amount of regen from stepping on the brake pedal depended on the mode. I do remember reading about how many Gs of deceleration you got from foot off the throttle pedal in B mode versus foot on the brake pedal before engaging friction brakes, but I don't think the material mentioned the latter being a function of mode. (And of course I can't find it now!) But I will take your word for it since you actually own one of these beasts, and I'm merely on the Perpetual Order List.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
e-Golf has "coast, Regen 1-3 & B. So 5 different modes. B mode on the ID4 has the "feel" of Regen Level 2 from the e-Golf. i.e. the e-Golf has a heavier regen feel. Chevy Bolts have an even heavier regen feel, but I digress.

·
2021 VW iD4 1st Edition Glacier White
482 Posts
e-Golf has "coast, Regen 1-3 & B. So 5 different modes. B mode on the ID4 has the "feel" of Regen Level 2 from the e-Golf. i.e. the e-Golf has a heavier regen feel. Chevy Bolts have an even heavier regen feel, but I digress.
I also think the D in normal mode is not a "coast" mode, but the car tries to maintain speed. It is actually nice to drive in D on highway, you don't need to push the accelerator all the time, the car maintain speed to some degree.

·
1,753 Posts
I love that level of granular choice on my e-Golf — you can almost drive it like an old manual car, "downshifting" to different regen levels depending on the terrain and your driving style. And I also like how in D mode, the e-Golf coasts like a champ, which I believe is not even an option on other EVs (see Tesla).

I guess I understand why VW decided to "simplify" (some might say "dumb down") the regen levels on the ID.4, but it would be nice to at least be given the option to adjust the power of the regen level in B mode or to add other levels if we wanted to.

·
Banned
892 Posts
I love that level of granular choice on my e-Golf — you can almost drive it like an old manual car, "downshifting" to different regen levels depending on the terrain and your driving style. And I also like how in D mode, the e-Golf coasts like a champ, which I believe is not even an option on other EVs (see Tesla).

I guess I understand why VW decided to "simplify" (some might say "dumb down") the regen levels on the ID.4, but it would be nice to at least be given the option to adjust the power of the regen level in B mode or to add other levels if we wanted to.
The 2022 ID.4 may have paddles that control the regen level, thus allowing a driver to “gear down” before the driver has to engage the brakes. That would allow one to coast when desired and to slow down with a higher regen level, using the paddles. However, if the brake pedal really does engage regen, then one should simply be able to drive the ID.4 as a regular ICE vehicle, while using a minimum amount of friction braking. It’s actually the best way to drive as far as I’m concerned unless one really hated shifting one’s foot from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal and back. If one wants to use one-pedal driving (like in a Tesla), the B mode should be the mode that enables that.

I also read somewhere that a software update will enable the ability to choose different level of regen for the B mode (as a setting in the infotainment system), but that would have to be set prior to starting a trip.

I’m not sure about the paddles in the 2022 model, but the ability to one-pedal drive should be available for those who prefer to drive this way. Personally, I can’t stand one-pedal driving. I own a Model Y, and that’s the only mode available to me. Tesla discontinued any other drive mode in vehicle manufactured after October 2020.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.