Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
America's VW ID.4 Will Be Slightly Different

We further inquired whether there'll be any differences between the overseas-made ID.4 and the Chattanooga-produced model. "About 96 percent of it is identical," Keogh said. "The core mechanical bits are still there but we'll be switching from the LG-supplied battery to one from SKI that'll be manufactured in Georgia. The cell chemistry is slightly different but packaging is exactly the same." Obviously, that's all hidden in the vehicle's guts as consumers are highly unlikely to notice a difference.
But what they will be able to see is "a slightly different center console design that's more American style." Keogh further pointed out changes like this are very common market to market.

·
190 Posts
Maybe there will offer a volume knob and some HVAC buttons.

I think VWOA knows their JDPower Initial Quality scores will take a nose dive with the current system

·
22 Posts

I think VWOA knows their JDPower Initial Quality scores will take a nose dive with the current system
It is a mystery as to what manufacturers pay attention to. Honda’s controls for radio/ AC have been criticized for years yet they have never changed them.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,026 Posts
The question is: Should manufacturers even pay attention?
Auto journalists are very superficial, as we all know. Consumer Reports just disappointed with a light touch, superficial "review". When and how do these things even matter anymore? Honda obviously sells a lot of cars regardless of criticized items - coming from a Honda myself I can say it worked fine, so there.

·
271 Posts
It is a mystery as to what manufacturers pay attention to. Honda’s controls for radio/ AC have been criticized for years yet they have never changed them.
They pay attention to the bean counters.

Honda probably got a years-long JIT contract with a 3rd-party supplier at a cheap price for their control knobs, so that they then save a lot of $$$ even though it locks them into a certain design for years at a time.

·
54 Posts
So much for June.

·
ID4 Pro RWD
61 Posts

I'm not sure VW has ever done well on JDPower surveys. I think they like keeping up with the status quo. :LOL:

·
54 Posts
That new interior is interesting. I rather liked the brown accents, so a good high-res picture of that would be neat to see, if that's coming to US models too. But unlike the vague "Americanized" center console we keep hearing about, the interior color change doesn't bother me a whole lot. I like the roomy feel as is and I'm worried I won't like this new console. Really hoping I get an imported car before that change is made, but worried not enough of them will get imported to handle the US reservations...

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
502 Posts
I never liked the brown. Know a few people who had theirs covered with alcantara.

The article contradicted itself slightly, is it vehicles “ordered after 1st December” or “manufactured after 20th December”?

·
2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
247 Posts
The cup holders are already big gulp sized. I suspect that it will be one large armrest and the gear selector will move there too.

·
410 Posts
2022 VW ID.4 Receives Updates, U.S.-Built 2023 Model Coming Soon

Here are additional details.

MY 2022
$765 price increase
EPA range increase
Peak charging raised to 135 kW
OTA for auto hold and Plug and Charge coming later this year

MY 2023
Chattanooga production
Change to SKI battery cells
Lower level trim with smaller battery pack

Curious about this range increase and whether it will be implemented on MY 2021 via OTA?

·
410 Posts
The cup holders are already big gulp sized. I suspect that it will be one large armrest and the gear selector will move there too.
I suspect it will be related to the wireless charging dock so that you can see your phone screen. I don't see the gear selector moving as that is a pretty major change to both the console and steering column and wiring harnesses.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
270 Posts
2022 VW ID.4 Receives Updates, U.S.-Built 2023 Model Coming Soon

Here are additional details.

MY 2022
$765 price increase
EPA range increase
Peak charging raised to 135 kW
OTA for auto hold and Plug and Charge coming later this year

MY 2023
Chattanooga production
Change to SKI battery cells
Lower level trim with smaller battery pack

Curious about this range increase and whether it will be implemented on MY 2021 via OTA?
Lower level trim?

Interior made out of 2x4’s and plywood?

I have a PRO so not sure what lower level will be?

·
1,198 Posts
The biggest change is 58kwh battery pack instead of 77kwh so lower range around 180-190 miles. They will remove other features as needed to get the price below $35k, maybe no ACC, etc. With this smaller battery, 100kw max at fast DC charger.

Reactions: id4alex

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
502 Posts
Lower level trim?

Interior made out of 2x4’s and plywood?

Maybe they'll do a base model with: 360° camera, augmented reality head up display, matrix headlamps, heat pump, dynamic chassis control, etc., all stripped out?

·
114 Posts
The biggest change is 58kwh battery pack instead of 77kwh so lower range around 180-190 miles. They will remove other features as needed to get the price below $35k, maybe no ACC, etc. With this smaller battery, 100kw max at fast DC charger.
Sounds like a good option for someone who doesn't do many road trips or has a long commute.

·
233 Posts
Maybe the lower cost model will be a ID.4 rather than an ID.4 Pro. The lower range model might make sense for someone that only drives around town but, after several years of battery aging, I wonder what the range will be in very cold or very hot weather. 50-100 miles? This could really affect re-sale value vs the Pro/Pro S.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts