Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

What about bi-directional charging? Is that still on for 22 as have not heard much about it lately.

What about bi-directional charging? Is that still on for 22 as have not heard much about it lately.
That got moved to later in the year with the now called 22.5 changes, and will at first be only in the EU since the VW bi-di wallbox they have been hyping is 3 phase only. Nobody knows when or if we will ever get it in the US.

ID4 AWD Pro
Maybe the SK battery would be a bit more stable than LG's? Also, I'd assume the US-made would lose the minivan-like separate armrests (some people think it too narrow) and gave us a bigger console with the cover acting as armrest. I don't have any pros or cons on that until seeing it. But I kinda like the openly feel of the current design. ioniq 5 has a central piece armrest on the movable console, but it also has an open storage design.

ID4 AWD Pro
That new interior is interesting. I rather liked the brown accents, so a good high-res picture of that would be neat to see, if that's coming to US models too. But unlike the vague "Americanized" center console we keep hearing about, the interior color change doesn't bother me a whole lot. I like the roomy feel as is and I'm worried I won't like this new console. Really hoping I get an imported car before that change is made, but worried not enough of them will get imported to handle the US reservations...
My wife hates that poop brown. And she thinks the light color leather of the grey would get dirty easily. So we have to go Pro instead. The new black color interior was not clear, did they replace the whole top panel with piano black gloss plastic? hopefully not, that would be a disaster.

Maybe the lower cost model will be a ID.4 rather than an ID.4 Pro. The lower range model might make sense for someone that only drives around town but, after several years of battery aging, I wonder what the range will be in very cold or very hot weather. 50-100 miles? This could really affect re-sale value vs the Pro/Pro S.
Perhaps - in Europe they offer several different trims. They are usually called Pure, Pro and GTX. The Pure always comes with the smaller 52kWh battery, so I'd not be surprised if they follow the same convention here.

As for the US-specific center console, I'm guessing a bigger storage bin that a purse will fit in instead of the movable cupholders, and the cupholders that remain will hold a Big Gulp ;)

ID4 AWD Pro
Maybe they'll do a base model with: 360掳 camera, augmented reality head up display, matrix headlamps, heat pump, dynamic chassis control, etc., all stripped out?
What? All of these are unheard of to the US owners :mad:

None of them available even on the top Pro S Grad trim... It's why I only go with Pro. None of the useful features you mentioned were available to us. All add-ons are useless such as the big glass roof and fake leather with no vent.

I hope we could have at least the first two things you mentioned, plus vented seats.

My wife hates that poop brown. And she thinks the light color leather of the grey would get dirty easily. So we have to go Pro instead. The new black color interior was not clear, did they replace the whole top panel with piano black gloss plastic? hopefully not, that would be a disaster.
Well, it may be too late to change, but you can tell her the light grey is easy to keep clean - it has so far survived any muddy shoe prints from our grade schooler with aplomb.

Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
I would not worry about the light grey leatherette getting dirty. My FE has a white steering wheel, which we have managed to make sticky but not off-color. It all wipes clean easily and is pristine.
Also look to all the Tesla owners with white seats. Word is they stay nice and white for a very long time without fussy upkeep.

ID4 AWD Pro
I can careless about the bi directional because it all comes down how much power it can put out. Ioniq 5 has that. on other 220V market, it offers over 4kW output. Not as good as F150 hybrid's 9.6kw, but still not bad. But in the US ioniq 5 only offer 1.9kw output. Useless.

ID4 AWD Pro
Well, it may be too late to change, but you can tell her the light grey is easy to keep clean - it has so far survived any muddy shoe prints from our grade schooler with aplomb.
It would in a long run. We've seen the white tesla seats got stained by blue jeans, etc. And her current SUV has light interior. What's more important is, almost all the add-on features on the Pro S are useless to us living in the south. That big glass roof only lets in more heat, and the fake leather seats don't have ventilation. So we'd rather have a steel roof with cloth seats which doesn't burn the ass off in the summer.
Thinks I like about Grad package are massage seats, turning headlights, and power lift gate. That's about it. And I don't think they worth the 7k extra, because we had to pay for the useless (to us) features I mentioned about which is included in the 7k extra.

ID4 AWD Pro
I would not worry about the light grey leatherette getting dirty. My FE has a white steering wheel, which we have managed to make sticky but not off-color. It all wipes clean easily and is pristine.
Also look to all the Tesla owners with white seats. Word is they stay nice and white for a very long time without fussy upkeep.
see my reply above about Tesla seats.
Sticky, it might come from the hand sanitizers if you are using them. I had this issue as well, then found out it was the waterless sanitizer. We seen the FE at the dealership, it's already turned color. Maybe its better if you live in the north, but the southern sun is just a killer. I don't have any grill cover here lasted over a year. All became paper-like that you can poke holes after a year of use.

Yeah, these seats aren鈥檛 white 鈥 more like a medium grey. No staining. But totally understand not buying a package you don鈥檛 need! We live in the north (currently it鈥檚 19 degrees outside) and needed the heated seats, wheel, etc! And my wife won鈥檛 drive a car without a power tailgate ;-)

ID4 AWD Pro
Yeah, these seats aren鈥檛 white 鈥 more like a medium grey. No staining. But totally understand not buying a package you don鈥檛 need! We live in the north (currently it鈥檚 19 degrees outside) and needed the heated seats, wheel, etc! And my wife won鈥檛 drive a car without a power tailgate ;-)
I'll definitely go the top trim if I live in the north. All cons I mentioned, like the big glass roof, would probably be pros for letting in more light in the winter (aside from the squeaking issue another post mentioned). I was born in a northern city, so I get it for both worlds, lol. And the vented seats might not be a "need". But then, I'd probably complain the 20" wheel is too big to find winter tires, etc. ;) And it's interesting that even the Pro has heated cloth seats and a heated steering wheel.So for the rare cases that 1 or 2 days out of the year when temp drops to a "freezing" 32F, we would get heat. LOL.

I just found the base trim of ID.4 is actually pretty well equipped and the top trim didn't add much. Same travel assist for Pro and S. Comparing to ioniq 5 that the SE has stripped a lot of things including the HDA2, and Limited has all the goodies that not even 60k tesla model Y has, such as 360 cameras, seat ventilation, AR navigation, etc.

It's a really subjective thing, isn't it? I can't see them making the dash piano black since there's too much chance of glare. More likely, it's a dark black leather-like material (I don't know what "leatherette" is actually made from) and might look something like this (is that a non-Statement?). In any case, it's a lot easier to clean than fabric seats are, and that's important when you've got kids like I and a lot of others do, so for that reason alone the Pro S is worth it for me, along with a number of others.

If you find a higher-res version of that picture, please do share!

Unless you are careless enough to carry an ink pen in your front pants pocket.

It's a really subjective thing, isn't it? I can't see them making the dash piano black since there's too much chance of glare. More likely, it's a dark black leather-like material (I don't know what "leatherette" is actually made from) and might look something like this (is that a non-Statement?). In any case, it's a lot easier to clean than fabric seats are, and that's important when you've got kids like I and a lot of others do, so for that reason alone the Pro S is worth it for me, along with a number of others.

If you find a higher-res version of that picture, please do share!
"leatherette" is basically plastic (different grade, but still plastic). The problem with it - you will swear in hot weather (remember - nonbreathable plastic). That is why it is so important to have it perforated and ventilated, Unfortunately, ID.4 skipped on ventilation seats...

BTW, this is one of the reasons I returned Model Y after 5 day's - I was getting out of the car with wet pans :) Texas

I don't think the material in my CR-V is bad at all, though it definitely feels colder in the winter. It's not boiling hot in the summer. I had the same experience with my 2007 GTI.

That said, though, I have been in cars where the seats would burn you in the summer if you didn't put a towel down first. Hopefully that material is a lot less common now. I agree that ventilated seats would be nice, but for me it isn't a must like heated seats are.

Stuck in the Midwest for now, but the hot summers are a major reason why I want out.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts