Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
"leatherette" is basically plastic (different grade, but still plastic). The problem with it - you will swear in hot weather (remember - nonbreathable plastic). That is why it is so important to have it perforated and ventilated, Unfortunately, ID.4 skipped on ventilation seats...

BTW, this is one of the reasons I returned Model Y after 5 day's - I was getting out of the car with wet pans :) Texas
Yep, some kind of vinyl. At least id4 got perforation. Model Y is much worse, don't even have any holes and I gave it up after a summer test drive.

Greetings from South Georgia

Reactions: EV_Pro

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
533 Posts
"leatherette" is basically plastic (different grade, but still plastic). The problem with it - you will swear in hot weather (remember - nonbreathable plastic). That is why it is so important to have it perforated and ventilated, Unfortunately, ID.4 skipped on ventilation seats...

BTW, this is one of the reasons I returned Model Y after 5 day's - I was getting out of the car with wet pans :) Texas
“Vegan leather” is also another name for plastic. Sometimes they put a little apple-skin or cactus fibre so they can call it “Apple leather” or “cactus leather” but it is really PVC.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,918 Posts
VWAG, as most, calls their vinyl "leatherette." Benz calls it "MB-tex." A rose by any other name.

But in fairness it's far superior to vinyl of old. It resists stains and cleans very easily which is a plus over leather. It also helps keep you in place in your seat a bit better than leather, although nowhere near as well as Alcantara (but then difficult to clean micro-suede it is). Compromises as always.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
533 Posts
VWAG, as most, calls their vinyl "leatherette." Benz calls it "MB-tex." A rose by any other name.

But in fairness it's far superior to vinyl of old. It resists stains and cleans very easily which is a plus over leather. It also helps keep you in place in your seat a bit better than leather, although nowhere near as well as Alcantara (but then difficult to clean micro-suede it is). Compromises as always.
Funnily enough we don't get "leatherette" in Europe. Choice has always been cloth or leather, with no "fake leather" option.

·
12 Posts
Funnily enough we don't get "leatherette" in Europe. Choice has always been cloth or leather, with no "fake leather" option.
In Europe is ID.4: "Interior Style seats with vegan-leather and “ArtVelours” microfleece". So the same :)

·
533 Posts
In Europe is ID.4: "Interior Style seats with vegan-leather and “ArtVelours” microfleece". So the same :)
Yeah, I was talking generally rather than about the iD4!

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
271 Posts
The biggest change is 58kwh battery pack instead of 77kwh so lower range around 180-190 miles. They will remove other features as needed to get the price below $35k, maybe no ACC, etc. With this smaller battery, 100kw max at fast DC charger.
When I think of trim, I am thinking of the interior, ie. cloth vs. fake leather vs. real leather (or even different grades of leather), the type of headliner, heated, cooled or ventilated seats, type of plastic/wood/aluminum accents, stereo (number of speakers/amp), etc.

·
902 Posts
I always called it Naugahyde, but that's trademarked.
BTW, what is a Nauga anyway? Do they roam in herds and on what continents?

I'm thinking none of the driving features, ACC, Lane Assist, etc will be deleted. Too much consumer safety backlash.

·
240 Posts
I always called it Naugahyde, but that's trademarked.

I'm thinking none of the driving features, ACC, Lane Assist, etc will be deleted. Too much consumer safety backlash.
Naugahyde was a brand of plasticized PVC from U.S Rubber, based in Naugatuck CT.

·
60 Posts
Well, I don't know what a nauga is, but I can tell you that a naga is a snake-like creature. Presumably, their hides could be turned into leather, but I don't know whether it would be suitable for seats (if nothing else, it'd look really weird). Purses and shoes? Almost certainly.

Reactions: BlueDH

·
60 Posts
Aaand this morning a friend told me that you can actually get nauga dolls. So now we know!

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts

It still gets hot like vinyl, and unbreathable.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Even the cloth has improved. My sonata hybrid has something called "Yes! Essentials" material that is said to be resistant to stain etc. I had drink flipped and it did stay a lot longer on the surface, long enough for me to find napkin and absorb them. And no coke stain left after all.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,045 Posts
After CLIMA came up a couple of times today I am thinking that the Americanized interior might include a CLIMATE button to shut up the nay sayers. :p;)

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
After CLIMA came up a couple of times today I am thinking that the Americanized interior might include a CLIMATE button to shut up the nay sayers. :p;)
Or it might just be German humor to metaphor to Climax? ;)

·
1 Posts
When I read about the "americanized" console, I thought of either big buttons, or big cup holders. But it already has the latter, and I don't think VW is going to change the dash, just the lower console. So I guess it'll be the armrest. Chinese market (and Eastern) are getting these (see pic 1-2). Maybe that's it? However, it seems that the cupholders then are smaller.
But they're seems to be a third version, with a new armrest and big cupholders (pic 3).. maybe that one?

Car Vehicle Plant Sky Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Hood

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover

·
60 Posts
I personally really do prefer the armrests to be mounted to the seat - built-in armrests are always too far behind me. Looks like any of those options will lose that feature.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts