Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear from new owners how they're feeling about Android Auto integration with the id4's infotainment system.

Of particular interest: it appears the id4's built-in nave gives guidance prompts on the driver's display, and the "light bar" across the dash indicates upcoming turns. Are these two features integrated with AA, so that they continue to function? OR once AA "takes over" are either of these two features rendered useless.

How klunky is getting back into id4 system settings such as FM radio or climate / seat heater once AA is active?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
I'd like to hear from new owners how they're feeling about Android Auto integration with the id4's infotainment system.

Of particular interest: it appears the id4's built-in nave gives guidance prompts on the driver's display, and the "light bar" across the dash indicates upcoming turns. Are these two features integrated with AA, so that they continue to function? OR once AA "takes over" are either of these two features rendered useless.

How klunky is getting back into id4 system settings such as FM radio or climate / seat heater once AA is active?
My recollection is that it was fairly well integrated with the ID.Cockpit (the driver's display). I don't recall the light bar as I was using it in the daytime.

The integration is good enough that I sometimes forget which one is active. There are visual cues, however - especially if you have a specific address that you are navigating to - AA has a different visual style when navigating.

I haven't tried using voice to select a new destination.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
My recollection is that it was fairly well integrated with the ID.Cockpit (the driver's display). I don't recall the light bar as I was using it in the daytime.

The integration is good enough that I sometimes forget which one is active. There are visual cues, however - especially if you have a specific address that you are navigating to - AA has a different visual style when navigating.

I haven't tried using voice to select a new destination.
I was out earlier - brought up AA. There was a little microphone icon in the lower-right of the screen. Tap it, then you can speak the destination, and it works as expected.

My first experience with AA a few years ago was pretty disappointing. It always needed a wire to connect. Then you always needed to find and tap the button on the headunit, but the button didn't appear until the phone was plugged in. Then wait a few seconds, and then you can get a map. Didn't even try voice commands back then - it was too much of a pain as it was. This thing in comparison is pretty painless. When I stop somewhere and then get back in the car, the headunit automatically goes back to the AA map, and as I mentioned, the voice thing works.

The only thing I don't know is if ID.Light does anything when you get close to a turn. I keep forgetting to watch for it - it probably won't be until I am driving at night that I will get a chance to really see.

The builtin navi on the other hand is kind of limited - I have to type in the destination on the screen, and it just doesn't understand voice destinations. Maybe with a CarNet upgrade it would be better. Maybe with an OTA it will be better.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
193 Posts
light bar does nothing with carplay/AA navigation. directions will only be shown on your dash.

·
ID.4 1st blue
122 Posts
The builtin navi on the other hand is kind of limited - I have to type in the destination on the screen, and it just doesn't understand voice destinations. Maybe with a CarNet upgrade it would be better. Maybe with an OTA it will be better.
Ran into this issue yesterday. For some reason, I couldn't get AA and Google to talk to the server at all (it seems to be a bit glitchy w/ connections when there's two phones connected to the car - can be fixed by reconnecting phone which you can't do while driving). So w/o that easy AA / Google maps voice searching available we tried search and then just entering the address via the car's nav system and couldn't get it to work. We ended up pulling over on the highway so we could enter the destination address manually. I later was going through the Hello ID voice tutorial and learned that it's very picky about what words you use so for example I tested it again using "navigate to <address>" and it worked perfectly. So it seems that some learning of its special words is needed if you aren't going to use AA/Google.

I also couldn't find any kind of "search along the route" feature in the car's nav system which is really unfortunate since that's highly useful on longer trips. Again, not a problem in AA/Google and maybe it's something that requires learning the right magical words.

I also got Internet Radio to work and while there is a TON of options it's very slow to work so if you pick a station there's a long delay while it buffer loads which is fine if you are going to stick w/ one station but I like to flip around. Again, Spotify via AA is a much better solution imo.

·
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
light bar does nothing with carplay/AA navigation. directions will only be shown on your dash.
Thanks for confirming.

That's unfortunate, but par for the course. When Audi introduced their gorgeous drivers map display in the B9 A4, it suffered a similar handicap – AA integrated on the main center display, but rendered that driver display feature useless.

When you say "directions shown on dash" do you mean that AA next turn directions show up on the steering column display? Or only on the main display? (... and do you have HUD in your car?)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I am picking up my FE on Thursday. My current car does not have Android Auto.....
Are the owners/members here stating that they Nav. installed in the ID.4 is inferior to using the Nav
thru Google Maps via Android Auto ?
Also.....does the build in Nav. have Traffic information ?
Does the car accept Traffic info. thru Sirius radio ?
Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Thanks for confirming.

That's unfortunate, but par for the course. When Audi introduced their gorgeous drivers map display in the B9 A4, it suffered a similar handicap – AA integrated on the main center display, but rendered that driver display feature useless.

When you say "directions shown on dash" do you mean that AA next turn directions show up on the steering column display? Or only on the main display? (... and do you have HUD in your car?)
Nobody in US has Hud. You get directions on oth displays. The big one has the map. The small one just tells you the distance to the next turn.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I am picking up my FE on Thursday. My current car does not have Android Auto.....
Are the owners/members here stating that they Nav. installed in the ID.4 is inferior to using the Nav
thru Google Maps via Android Auto ?
Also.....does the build in Nav. have Traffic information ?
Does the car accept Traffic info. thru Sirius radio ?
Thanks for your help
I believe that one of the upgrades to CarNet adds traffic to builtin navi.

Voice controls don't work well- there is a second CarNet upgrade to improve that.

I haven't tried either one.

·
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nobody in US has Hud.
Furkan isn't in the US, he's NL. Looks from his video like he has the 1st MAX. Not sure if those all have heads up.

Since Ross Tech has an ID4 I'm betting they're looking at the interface, because I know they'll be US owners eager to plug in HUD and euro-spec tail lights, both of which will require coding.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Furkan isn't in the US, he's NL. Looks from his video like he has the 1st MAX. Not sure if those all have heads up.

Since Ross Tech has an ID4 I'm betting they're looking at the interface, because I know they'll be US owners eager to plug in HUD and euro-spec tail lights, both of which will require coding.
Thanks....I have HUD in my BMW X1 that I am selling ....are you stating the HUD is something that will be available on the FE which assumes the FE has the hardware for the HUD

·
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks....I have HUD in my BMW X1 that I am selling ....are you stating the HUD is something that will be available on the FE which assumes the FE has the hardware for the HUD
No, like ericy was saying, HUD isn't available in the US as of yet (maybe never?), but it's an available option in the ID.4 in other markets, meaning that if there's a will (and likely a not-insignificant amount of money) , there's a way.

If you scroll down to my Coming to America 4 post from yesterday, there's a link to a video of ID.4 HUD in action, and it looks fantastic!

·
ID.4 FE Blue
138 Posts
So with Apple Carplay, you get neither directions in the steering column display nor ID light if you use Google maps. May be different if you use Apple maps (which I don’t). I actually like the built-in Nav system a lot. Without traffic information it is of course pretty useless. Hope they add this soon as it doesn’t seem to have that feature right now (which is kind of crazy in 2021).

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
So with Apple Carplay, you get neither directions in the steering column display nor ID light if you use Google maps. May be different if you use Apple maps (which I don’t). I actually like the built-in Nav system a lot. Without traffic information it is of course pretty useless. Hope they add this soon as it doesn’t seem to have that feature right now (which is kind of crazy in 2021).
I thought one of the add on for carnet added traffic to the builtin navi.

·
324 Posts
This may be a deal breaker for me.

·
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This may be a deal breaker for me.
I couldn't believe it, but that turned out to be a deal breaker for me when I was shopping for a replacement allroad wagon a few years ago. But in turn, that made me realize I was more enamored by the technology than any other legitimate need, kind of reassessed everything, and instead made the jump over to the i3 I currently drive (which doesn't even have AA!)

·
324 Posts
I couldn't believe it, but that turned out to be a deal breaker for me when I was shopping for a replacement allroad wagon a few years ago. But in turn, that made me realize I was more enamored by the technology than any other legitimate need, kind of reassessed everything, and instead made the jump over to the i3 I currently drive (which doesn't even have AA!)
I should follow your lead not get overly focussed on features that may or may not be that important, but things like this irritate me. Give me a complete solution without trying to nickel and dime me to get full functionality, or let the alternative solution (ie Google Maps running on CarPlay) provide an equivalent experience (navigation directions on the driver display). My (apparently mistaken) understanding was that this would be the case. Mach-e does it (CarPlay navigation on the driver display), but then Ford doesn't charge extra for their own full navigation solution either. It just bugs me.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
215 Posts
Can we get someone with an Apple device and an ID.4 to confirm that APPLE MAPS through CarPlay shows on driver display and maybe interacts with the ID light. So far in this thread it is only say Google Maps through CarPlay does not and I would expect that. Google Maps was just allowed to work with CarPlay a little while ago. I would imagine Apple Maps works on the driver display.

·
51 Posts
What do you mean by driver display? The 12 inch screen or the smaller one on the steering column? Car play shows on the 12 inch screen, and distance and upcoming turn is on the steering column display.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
193 Posts
I have heads up Display [HUD] + Augumented Reality [AR]

Android Auto Directions are shown on:

steering column display?
YES

on the main display?
YES

do you have HUD in your car?
YES

Directions on HUD?
YES

Directions with AR?
NO

Directions with Lightbar?