Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,867 Posts
And should I enable “Energy Management” with all the talk about the 12v battery issues?
The 22-23 have a new better EFB+ battery and different BMS settings that we hope solve the 12v battery issues at least for a few years of 12v life. We won't know how much better until some new owners either have problems, or get a dongle and look at what VW has improved on the 12v charging set points. It should be better with Energy management on, but drain the HV slightly more and it depends on if that trade off is worth it for you. The myVW app will probably work much better with it on, since it won't be going into deep sleep mode as often. Try it both ways when cold and watch the SOC.

·
1,753 Posts
2 more questions, what is “direct charge” and do I want to enable/what percentage?
If I understand correctly, the direct charge setting tells the car to immediately charge to this level when you plug in and the car’s state of charge is lower than the set level, even if you have scheduled charging set up to delay charging and start later.

Example: say you set direct charge to 40%, and you have scheduled charging set to start at 11 pm. You plug in at 5 pm at 20%. The car will immediately charge to 40% and not wait until 11. Once at 40%, it will stop and wait for 11 pm to start the scheduled charge.

·
2023 AWD Pro S Pure Gray/Galaxy
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If I understand correctly, the direct charge setting tells the car to immediately charge to this level when you plug in and the car’s state of charge is lower than the set level, even if you have scheduled charging set up to delay charging and start later.

Example: say you set direct charge to 40%, and you have scheduled charging set to start at 11 pm. You plug in at 5 pm at 20%. The car will immediately charge to 40% and not wait until 11. Once at 40%, it will stop and wait for 11 pm to start the scheduled charge.
Thank you. I don’t think I will schedule a time to charge, as my electricity provider doesn’t offer reduced rates. I will just plug in whenever I get home

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I don’t think I will schedule a time to charge, as my electricity provider doesn’t offer reduced rates.
You may want to consider Scheduled Departure charge if you leave home at the same time most mornings. That will allow your car to do most of its charging just before you drive it. This allows you to have a warm battery pack for winter and ability to set a higher charge level if needed (ie: not good to leave car sitting at 100% for several hours.)

Using a combination of Direct Charge (at ~40%) and Departure Schedule to 80% may give you some good efficiency, especially if driving in a colder climate.

Lots of options for charging, you will soon settle on the one that works best for you. :)

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You may want to consider Scheduled Departure charge if you leave home at the same time most mornings. That will allow your car to do most of its charging just before you drive it. This allows you to have a warm battery pack for winter and ability to set a higher charge level if needed (ie: not good to leave car sitting at 100% for several hours.)

Using a combination of Direct Charge (at ~40%) and Departure Schedule to 80% may give you some good efficiency, especially if driving in a colder climate.

Lots of options for charging, you will soon settle on the one that works best for you. :)
Thank you.
Yes, I definitely want to use the schedule departure feature for the reasons you noted above. I assume no harm done if you miss your departure time. Car will just eventually cycle through and turn off?

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Another question for the helpful folks here…so with Thanksgiving this week, we will be traveling, not too far, but far enough to try out EA. About 280 miles r/t. There a several EA chargers along the tri state area; however, as I have read, they don’t always work and/or I’m sure they will be busy with holiday travel. I understand the best scenario is to have as warm a battery as possible and as low a SOC to get the most of our 30-min EA charging. If I charge at home to 100%, that should provide roughly 250 miles?? But then with the cold (28f) in the morning, hvac, 70mph highway driving, would 200 miles be a better estimate, if not lower???

Assuming 200 miles, would most of you drive the full 135 miles to the nearest EA to our destination and then charge to 100% (it will be a one day trip), or would you stop mid-way at an EA some 70 miles away from our home and charge to 80% and then stop again 70 miles from the first EA (nearest our destination) and charge to 80%?? Then repeat on the way home later that evening?

·
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo
162 Posts
But then with the cold (28f) in the morning, hvac, 70mph highway driving, would 200 miles be a better estimate, if not lower???
I saw posts that folks getting as low as 140 miles in those conditions

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I saw posts that folks getting as low as 140 miles in those conditions
Yikes!! But I assumed it would be pretty low and rough getting use to our first EV when taking delivery in autumn/winter. If only 140 miles, I guess I’ll be making those 2 stops at EA. I’m too anxious to try and make the 135 mile one way trip.

·
162 Posts
Reactions: Kief

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Car will just eventually cycle through and turn off?
Good question. I believe the car will go back to sleep 15 minutes after your set departure time if you missed it. Have not tried it though.

Did find this in the owners manual:

If one of the following conditions is met, the stationary air conditioning switches off automatically:
After around 30 minutes, if the vehicle is air-conditioned with the ignition switched off.
After around 15 minutes, if the vehicle is not drive-ready after a programmed departure time.
If the charge level of the high-voltage battery is too low

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good question. I believe the car will go back to sleep 15 minutes after your set departure time if you missed it. Have not tried it though.

Did find this in the owners manual:

If one of the following conditions is met, the stationary air conditioning switches off automatically:
After around 30 minutes, if the vehicle is air-conditioned with the ignition switched off.
After around 15 minutes, if the vehicle is not drive-ready after a programmed departure time.
If the charge level of the high-voltage battery is too low
So first time charging tonight at home with my CP L2. I wanted to schedule departure time for tomorrow and Wed, and there were 3 options for charging:
Immediate charging to 8%
Continual charge up until departure time
Continual charge/climate up until departure time

I get the reason for immediate charge, but what’s the benefit of continual charge up until departure? And do I need to pick charge/climate if I set a departure time, or will it still precondition 30min before leaving?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Sorry, have not used Departure Charge. The "Continual" wording does seem strange, but I suspect charge/climate is the option you choose.

We use Aux Climate Control to set a 7 am time for the heat or A/C to come on. Since our best TOU rate ends at 6 am we use Scheduled Charging from 11pm to 6 am so all the charging is done inside that time frame. This makes Charging and Climate on different timers and not related.

·
168 Posts
I also joined team 23 Pure Gray AWD Pro S yesterday! Sorry, I don't have any pictures because the car is caked in bug guts from the long drive home, but maybe I'll take some after the Thanksgiving holiday after I can give it a good wash. Here are my initial first impressions from the drive home in no particular order (my only prior experience with an ID.4 was a MY22 RWD Pro S that I test drove):
  • The car drives amazing! I'm really happy with it. The ride is maybe a little stiffer than the RWD I test drove that had 19'' wheels, but still very comfortable.
  • The glass roof sunshade is not fully solid, you can kind of see through it a little. Some light still comes in even when it's closed.
  • The cabin is very quiet, though I did notice some wind noise coming from the front passenger side (or at least that's where I perceived it coming from) at higher speeds. A little music easily drowned it out though
  • All the lane keep and travel assist and all of that stuff was incredible on the drive home. Really made the drive easier. I just have to get used to having the car perform a lot of the functions that I normally would. It honestly has a bit of a video game driving on rails type feel to it, but in a good way.
  • The brake pedal is not squishy at all in my car. I have seen and read reviews that mention the soft feel of it, and I actually did notice that on the RWD I test drove, but it's much better in my car. You can still tell where the regen stops and the brakes take over, but it has a much more solid feel to it. No idea if that's just because it's brand new and it'll soften over time, but I hope not.
  • For any shorter folks out there, I'm 5'6'' and I had to bring the seat up as high as it would go to reach what I consider a comfortable driving height. My wife is shorter and it'll be a little challenging for her. We ordered her a seat wedge/pillow that hopefully will help. Two factors at play there: 1) the power seats do not go up that high. The seats in my CX-5 will raise up much higher. 2) something I didn't notice before, but the entire cabin of the ID.4 is sunken down a bit. Windshields typically have that black portion at the bottom where it meets the hood, and with most cars (at least the ones I'm familiar with) the dash ends right where the black area becomes clear, but in the ID.4, the dash actually ends a good inch or more below the black area.
  • My initial impressions of the interior controls aren't great. I mean, they're not terrible, but I did have issues. The haptic buttons on the steering wheel work okay, you have to give them a good push to activate them, but there are also some swipe areas, and I was getting accidental swipes like crazy. The "buttons" under the main display have a very cheap look about them. They look like the stickers that are used in place of buttons on toy cars. So far they work fine though. The displays are very nice, sharp, high resolution, great colors, decently responsive. No complaints on the displays yet. I was trying to adjust my side view mirrors while driving, but it seems the car wouldn't let me (or maybe I wasn't doing it right, IDK). I hear a lot of negatives about the window controls, and I agree they probably should have just put the two extra buttons on there, but it was not a big deal for me. They worked fine, switching them to rear was easy, and I appreciate that all four windows will auto down/up (first car I've had where the rear windows will also do the auto down/up).
  • I don't like how after I put the car in park and step out that the display remains on and the car still sounds like it's on. Seems the car actually shuts off about a minute later (and the display several minutes later) after I walk away, but I'd prefer if they would shut off as soon as I get out of the car so I know I didn't accidentally leave it on. Maybe there's a setting to change that.
  • The rear illuminated VW logo is awesome. Seems like such a trivial vanity thing, but it's seriously cool. Really makes the car stand out at night.
  • The trip stats for the drive home from the dealer were 159 miles at 3.7mi/kWh. That was mostly driving in the 60-70 mph range. It was a nice day, temperatures around 60, not that windy, the terrain was a little more hilly in western NC than we have in central or eastern NC, but nothing too bad. I was babying it a little bit. By accident about half way through the trip I ended up at the mode screen, and I saw the car was in custom mode. I do not know what settings were set in custom mode, but I changed it to Eco mode for the back half of the trip. I'm really happy with 3.7mi/kWh. I was nervous that the 20'' wheels were going to give me terrible range, but so far so good.
  • And just now when I went out to the garage to get the trip stats, I opened the door after the car was sitting unlocked in my garage all night, and the interior lights came on like normal. So that seems to be working fine as well.
  • I've read complaints around here about auto hold, but so far auto hold has worked great for me. I guess I'm not sure what the complaints are about it? I thought maybe it was because you had to mash the accelerator to break the hold, but that's not true at all, at least not in my car. I can just barely press the "gas" pedal and the hold comes off and I can continue as slowly as I'd like.
  • Brake mode is much more aggressive than I thought it would be. In my CX-5, I like to downshift to engine brake myself when I need to slow down just a little bit, or to control my speed when going down hills. I was thinking brake mode might be able to emulate that, but it doesn't really. Switching into break mode is like downshifting from 6th gear to 3rd gear, much too harsh to use to just bleed off a little speed or limit a decent.
  • The dealer I bought the car from did not have any of the mobile chargers, but my local dealer did so I was able to get one. I also ordered the Muddy Buddy floor liners, but apparently those are a "DSP" parts, which basically means they don't stock them, they submit a factory production order for each purchase. So I have to wait about two weeks for those to come in. I also picked up the sunshade and the tow hitch cover as "why the hell not" purchases since they were both cheap.
  • The turning radius on the AWD is really good. Not as good as the RWD (I was blown away by that when I did the test drive), but it's still very impressive and better than any other similar sized car that I've driven (besides the RWD ID.4 obviously).

I guess that's about all I can think of for now. I'll post back with more observations as I'm trying out more features of the car.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,867 Posts
I'd prefer if they would shut off as soon as I get out of the car so I know I didn't accidentally leave it on.
This is how it works on my 21 and it appears they changed that since so many complained about it shutting the car off even if they lift their butt for a second when backing up.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
don't like how after I put the car in park and step out that the display remains on and the car still sounds like it's on.
Does not work that way on our 2022. After putting into Park and opening the door the Goodbye screen comes on. Once you are off the seat and out the door the screen shuts off.
I think a little delay like you describe would be nicer.

BTW, thanks for the write up and congrats on the new car.

·
162 Posts
Perhaps if you have a dog it might be needed but what other uses to have dedicated buttons for rear windows? I don't remember needing them ever in the past 5 years and kids usually do it themselves. Though I do remember accidentally lowering them on several occasions in drive throughs.

Reactions: wildpitcher

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So Ida performed flawlessly yesterday during our Thanksgiving trip from PA to NJ. As did EA and having to charge once. My wife and I are really pleased with the car and happy we opted for an EV. I hope this is a foreshadowing of what’s to come with our quirky ID4. There really isn’t one thing I’m unsatisfied with when you put the whole car in context based on price and what it is. Just wanted to share as we tend to focus on the negatives or problems of cars on forums.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts