Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email letting me know that that I will get another chance to reserve the 1st edition. I reserved the AWD on purpose and skipped the 1st edition. Will you change the reservation?

When we launched the all-new Volkswagen ID.4 electric SUV, the 1st Edition model sold-out in a staggering 8 hours. That enthusiasm excited us, so we created a few more ID.4 1st edition models available to reserve. And we wanted to tell you first, before we told anyone else.
On January 7th, you can change your reservation to a 1st Edition ID.4 electric SUV while reservations last. Your $100 initial reservation fee* will be automatically transferred–simple as that.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
771 Posts
I just may. Will see how I feel between then and now (2 nights to sleep on it). ;)

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
528 Posts
Got the email as well. Sticking with AWD and Moonstone Grey.

·
Proud FE owner
878 Posts
1st edition must really have a lot of cancellations for them to add them back to avaliability
There have been Pro reservation holders that have moved to 1st Editions already (prior to and after the 1st Edition locks took hold). I think this has more to do with additional supply and production slots becoming available.

Reactions: ChristophW

·
217 Posts
When the US FE was delayed from Jan to March, I think VW added production slots. If the Jan sked had stayed, doubt there would have been any additional slots. I wonder how many?

·
8 Posts
Major questions:

(1) Does switching from a Pro > 1st Edition change your delivery date to be earlier?

(2) What is on the Pro that is not on the 1st Edition (what features do you lose?)

If there's a price saving, feature parity (beyond cosmetic differences), a major cost-saving then is switching to a 1st edition a no-brainer?

The pre-order page calls out the following Pro features, possibly implying these are not on the 1st edition... are these also on the 1st edition?
  • IQ.DRIVE (Advanced Driver Assistance Technologies)
  • Discover Pro navigation with 10" display
  • ID.Light
  • Heated front seats & heated steering wheel
  • Wireless charging & App-Connect with wireless capabilities for compatible devices
Feels like flying blind not knowing this information and being asked to make a choice.

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
301 Posts
Major questions:

(1) Does switching from a Pro > 1st Edition change your delivery date to be earlier?

(2) What is on the Pro that is not on the 1st Edition (what features do you lose?)

If there's a price saving, feature parity (beyond cosmetic differences), a major cost-saving then is switching to a 1st edition a no-brainer?

The pre-order page calls out the following Pro features, possibly implying these are not on the 1st edition... are these also on the 1st edition?
  • ID.Light
  • Wireless charging & App-Connect with wireless capabilities for compatible devices
Feels like flying blind not knowing this information and being asked to make a choice.
As for (1) - not sure
(2) - The FE is the Pro with Statement + Gradient packages - minus the illuminated VW logo at the front, minus $2000, PLUS the trailer hitch receiver and PLUS the white interior accents.
The Pro is the NA base model

·
143 Posts
Major questions:

• ID.Light
FE = Pro Base + Statement + Gradient with additional FE only cosmetic stuff (white steering wheel and badges and play/pause pedal) and hence around $1500 cheaper. Every thing on the Pro is on the FE except for the illuminated VW logo. All the info for making the decision is already there.

·
8 Posts
Thanks for the insight here. Using VW Chat I was advised of the following:

Yes, the 1st Edition would arrive sooner. We don't have specific dates, but we're expecting spring 2021.

This corroborates with replies from @terasain and @RocketVol above.

The 1st Edition comes with the Statement and Gradient Package and also includes the play/pause pedals, white interior accents, 1st edition welcome screen, 1st edition badging and steering wheel clip, 1st edition one-piece flitzer, black mirror caps, & tow hitch, which don't necessarily come standard on the Pro.

The only thing lost would be the all wheel drive option, as the 1st Edition only comes in RWD.

·
34 Posts
Do I want an ID.4 and stay in the VW family or do I pay a couple extra grand more for a long range Model 3??? I'm on the fence...

·
584 Posts
Do I want an ID.4 and stay in the VW family or do I pay a couple extra grand more for a long range Model 3??? I'm on the fence...
Depends on your mission for the vehicle. The nearest Tesla service center is 3 hrs away so that puts them out of contention for me. Reports from folks who own both M3 and ID.3 say the Tesla has more wind and road noise with poorer build quality. I am getting to be a grumpy old man and I what my car to be as quiet as possible. Given this, it is a no brainer for me to go ID.4. YMMV

·
34 Posts
Depends on your mission for the vehicle. The nearest Tesla service center is 3 hrs away so that puts them out of contention for me. Reports from folks who own both M3 and ID.3 say the Tesla has more wind and road noise with poorer build quality. I am getting to be a grumpy old man and I what my car to be as quiet as possible. Given this, it is a no brainer for me to go ID.4. YMMV
I prefer to lease my vehicles so build quality is somewhat of a moot point. I'm attracted by features and range and Tesla owns that aspect of EV's right now. The ID.4 would def be more convenient over the lease period, but like I said Tesla has the bells and whistles. Tough choice...

·
4 Posts
Just found/joined this board. I don't have a M3, but I've owned a MS for over 4 years. Tesla's drivetrain/battery technology has been the standard, but the fit/finish of the car has been disappointing as has their service department and customer support. Even for the newest cars, their fit/finish lags and you definitely wouldn't want a car built near the end of their quarter. They're literally just trying to get them out of the door.

I reserved the FE and then cancelled because I'm concerned the 0-60 time of 7s will be noticeably slower than I currently have. However, I guess I really don't use that power very much. I might go ahead and switch back to the FE on 1/7 based on the FE including the other upgrades.

·
4 Posts
I prefer to lease my vehicles so build quality is somewhat of a moot point. I'm attracted by features and range and Tesla owns that aspect of EV's right now. The ID.4 would def be more convenient over the lease period, but like I said Tesla has the bells and whistles. Tough choice...
I think their panel gaps have improved, but still some misalignment. On my MS, the gap between the dash and door card is 1/8" on one side and 3/4" on the other side. They couldn't fix it and I didn't notice until so many other things started standing out. In general, their customer support is disinterested in problems you notice with the car (probably because they hear so many complaints!).

·
63 Posts
Just found/joined this board. I don't have a M3, but I've owned a MS for over 4 years. Tesla's drivetrain/battery technology has been the standard, but the fit/finish of the car has been disappointing as has their service department and customer support. Even for the newest cars, their fit/finish lags and you definitely wouldn't want a car built near the end of their quarter. They're literally just trying to get them out of the door.

I reserved the FE and then cancelled because I'm concerned the 0-60 time of 7s will be noticeably slower than I currently have. However, I guess I really don't use that power very much. I might go ahead and switch back to the FE on 1/7 based on the FE including the other upgrades.
cgates30, build quality, service issues, and customer service are some of the main issues why I have not purchased the M3 already. Even though VW may be behind in technology, I feel more comfortable with their commitment to quality and their product. They sold the e-Golf for several years and this seems to be a good vehicle and allowed them to "test drive" and hopefully improve their product as they moved into production of the ID.3 and ID.4. While I love the Tesla technology and am drawn to the M3 like a moth to a flame, I don't want to get burned by issues with the vehicle...

·
2021 First Edition
137 Posts
I'm thinking of switching my Pro S to an FE. Would rather have 19" wheels, but I can live with 20".

Any idea what time on the 7th the portal opens?

·
4 Posts
cgates30, build quality, service issues, and customer service are some of the main issues why I have not purchased the M3 already. Even though VW may be behind in technology, I feel more comfortable with their commitment to quality and their product. They sold the e-Golf for several years and this seems to be a good vehicle and allowed them to "test drive" and hopefully improve their product as they moved into production of the ID.3 and ID.4. While I love the Tesla technology and am drawn to the M3 like a moth to a flame, I don't want to get burned by issues with the vehicle...
Yes, this is why I haven't traded my car in yet. I was interested in the Volvo XC40 recharge, but the range is so disappointing for the price. The new Audi sounds like a good option, but I imagine it will end up more expensive than expected. I don't want to pay $70+K for the current e-tron, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts