Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Another ID.4 vs. Mach-E Thread from someone who would buy either car.

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  ShowMeYourID 
#1 ·
I have driven the id.4 RWD pro-s and the mach-e premium AWD. Yes I realize that it isn't a fair comparison in power but I am limited to what the dealer has for demo vehicles. It was very hard to find a dealer even willing to let me test drive the mach-e. So short and to the point.

1. How could you even compare these vehicles? One is an elongated Golf/SUV and the other feels like a huge suv.
2. ID.4 vs Mustang Mach-E interior? This isn't even close. The ford interior is a million times more quality than the ID.4.
3. ID.4 Looks better to me on the outside and I love the blue color.
4. I tested the Mach-e vs ID.4 A/C system. The ID.4 high setting is the Mach-e low setting. Really disappointing the volume of air that comes out.
5. Heater... the same
6. Infotainment it's not even close. Real buttons vs. Captive resistance for a lot things on the ford.
7. I hate the fact that the ford doesn't have a sliding cover over the moonroof. I am as white as can be and I even think about the sun and I burn.
8. Sound system. The B/O sound system is slightly better than the ID.4 sound system but really who cares. First thing I do on a car is gut the shitty stock system and I have speakers and amps already to go in. so not really a factor.
9. I wish I could drive an AWD vs AWD. The Mustang in unbridled mode with the AWD was a freaking beast! My gawd having 490 ft/lbs torque instantly is insane. It was almost to much.
10. Maybe a bit of a useless feature but the cool factor is there. The FRUNK in the ford has a drain hole to the bottom of the car. You can just throw ice in it and BOOM you have a built in ice-chest. That is such a great idea!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have driven the id.4 RWD pro-s and the mach-e premium AWD. Yes I realize that it isn't a fair comparison in power but I am limited to what the dealer has for demo vehicles. It was very hard to find a dealer even willing to let me test drive the mach-e. So short and to the point.

1. How could you even compare these vehicles? One is an elongated Golf/SUV and the other feels like a huge suv.
2. ID.4 vs Mustang Mach-E interior? This isn't even close. The ford interior is a million times more quality than the ID.4.
4. I tested the Mach-e vs ID.4 A/C system. The ID.4 high setting is the Mach-e low setting. Really disappointing the volume of air that comes out.
5. Heater... the same
6. Infotainment it's not even close. Real buttons vs. Captive resistance for a lot things on the ford.
7. I hate the fact that the ford doesn't have a sliding cover over the moonroof. I am as white as can be and I even think about the sun and I burn.
8. Sound system. The B/O sound system is slightly better than the ID.4 sound system but really who cares. First thing I do on a car is gut the shitty stock system and I have speakers and amps already to go in. so not really a factor.
9. I wish I could drive an AWD vs AWD. The Mustang in unbridled mode with the AWD was a freaking beast! My gawd having 490 ft/lbs torque instantly is insane. It was almost to much.
10. Maybe a bit of a useless feature but the cool factor is there. The FRUNK in the ford has a drain hole to the bottom of the car. You can just throw ice in it and BOOM you have a built in ice-chest. That is such a great idea!
Wouldn't the world be boring if only 1 kind of EV was available?
Opinions are like @$$#o|3$, everyone has one, even me. 😉

#5 · (Edited)
Do we know if the Mach-E ever fixed the cooling of the batteries so it doesn't go into "limp mode"? When I drove the Mach-E it wasn't like the dealer was going to let me understeer it around a mountain road like they did in this video. I agree that the steering did feel kinda soft though.

I can overlook a lot of the things I don't like about the ID-4 but I CAN NOT overlook if the car goes into limp mode after spirited driving. That's a no go. This review is a year old though.

.... And honestly the polestar? that is about the ugliest car I have seen.

The ID.4 is my favorite exterior design. It reminds me of a golf.

Damn this is a tough decision. Every-time I think I am going with the Ford then I see something bad about it, Then I think I am going with the ID4 and I see something bad about that.

I think my opinion like the video is if you lowered the ID4 and put on some nice BBS wheels it would look loads better.

#9 ·
I think my opinion like the video is if you lowered the ID4 and put on some nice BBS wheels it would look loads better.
Have you seen this post?

#6 ·
The iD4 AC could have been in Eco mode. Mine always is.
Another thing to consider is the battery pack design. The Ford battery looks like assembled by a bunch of high school students. The iD4 looks like a much more robust design.
I think even the iD4 AWD performance will be lacking compared to Mach-e. VW intentionally limits torque and accelerator response for a more mainstream feel.
Also if you keep them long term the VW interior holds up better despite being a million times inferior to Ford. It is built much better than Ford.

#10 ·

5. Heater... the same
I have not driven a Mach-E, but I like the interior - the exterior not so much (I have seen some live and they look small and oddly asymmetric for some reason - and the wheels are ridiculous).

But my biggest caveat with the Ford is the cooling architecture - I buy cars to keep them long-term and every time I see that many hoses and connections, my future self freaks out...

#13 ·

5. Heater... the same
I also test-drove both of these vehicles. For me the biggest difference between the cars, and the reason I went with ID4, was the differences in handling. Mach had way more power for sure (I also test drove the AWD MachE vs RWD ID4 so, like you, it's not the best comparison). But, the ID4 handling blew the MachE away. Much tighter controls and turning radius. Probably has to do with the wider tires in the ID4. Also, in reference to point #1, I'm pretty sure these cars are about the same size/volume/storage.

#15 ·
Each car has its pluses and minuses. The ID.4 has more range (so far in the winter) and it drives more smoothly. My wife really likes it, but I use it for commuting as it’s just an easy car to drive and sit in traffic. The Mach e GT is the weekend car and for tooling around upstate. It’s winter now so it’s mostly in the garage but when spring and summer come along it’s planning to be the “fun driving car”

#25 ·

5. Heater... the same

Well, I went to test drive both, but I think at this point it all depend on what is your need and budget. A few major things that made me order a ID.4 Pro S AWD vs the Mustang are not even mentioned anywhere by anyone in any review and it was a big deal breaker for me. So here they are...

1. In Canada you have 13,000$ from the gouvernment if you buy an EV under 60,000$, the ID.4 starts at 45,000$ for the base 2WD with 400km range and the Statement AWD comes down to 58,000$ full equip with a 386km range vs. the Mustang start at 53,000$ and have a 350km range. To have the 450km range on the Mustang, it's now 62,000$ with no option and you don't get the 13,000$ from the gourvernment... making the ID.4 much cheaper for the range. Considering I have a cottage at 160km away, the range is important to me.

2. The Mustang have a very small trunk caused by the fastback desing, ok you have a frunk but is still very limited in space overall compare to the ID4, I have 2 teenager now bigger than me, and we bring the mother in law to the cottage or sometimes friends, so the trunk space matters in my case... +2 for the ID.4

3. If at the very least, Ford would have put a rack on the roof to acomodate for the small trunk, it would maybe have changed my mind... but it's not even available and god knows I search for one as they have a Mustang readily available at my local dealer. But that's a deal breaker, small trunk and no way to compensate. The ID.4 has a rack on the roof standard and as an option, you can get the Thule bar to put a Thule on top. +3 for the ID.4!

4. My dealer said the Mustang can't pull a trailer... really Ford haven't readily made a hitch for it yet but I heard that there is aftermarket hitch now available for it. Still, VW put a hitch standard on all ID.4 AWD, and has a rated 2800 lbs pulling capacity. With a cottage, that's also a bonus for me. +4 for the ID.4!

So if you want style and perfomance and money is no object, sure the Mustang is cooler, faster and depending on preference, has a sportier suspenssion and handling. So the Mustang and Tesla Y are probably superior in this respect. But if you have a familly and you are looking for the most practical EV for the money... well, the ID.4 beats the competition hands down by miles. I just find it's too bad that such big difference between the 3 model are rarely if never even talked about in comparison test as it can help a lot making a decision. All they are talking about is range, performance, speed, driving experience...If they mentioned trunk space, they don't mentioned the rack on the VW and the lack of one on the Mustang. I don't care how fast it is... will it carry my familly to the cottage with the trunk full, a trailer and a rack on the roof? That's what I care about. How practical is it?

Hope that help some people making a decision! Good luck!

#29 ·
Well, I went to test drive both, but I think at this point it all depend on what is your need and budget. A few major things that made me order a ID.4 Pro S AWD vs the Mustang are not even mentioned anywhere by anyone in any review and it was a big deal breaker for me. So here they are...

1. In Canada you have 13,000$ from the gouvernment if you buy an EV under 60,000$, the ID.4 starts at 45,000$ for the base 2WD with 400km range and the Statement AWD comes down to 58,000$ full equip with a 386km range vs. the Mustang start at 53,000$ and have a 350km range. To have the 450km range on the Mustang, it's now 62,000$ with no option and you don't get the 13,000$ from the gourvernment... making the ID.4 much cheaper for the range. Considering I have a cottage at 160km away, the range is important to me.

2. The Mustang have a very small trunk caused by the fastback desing, ok you have a frunk but is still very limited in space overall compare to the ID4, I have 2 teenager now bigger than me, and we bring the mother in law to the cottage or sometimes friends, so the trunk space matters in my case... +2 for the ID.4

3. If at the very least, Ford would have put a rack on the roof to acomodate for the small trunk, it would maybe have changed my mind... but it's not even available and god knows I search for one as they have a Mustang readily available at my local dealer. But that's a deal breaker, small trunk and no way to compensate. The ID.4 has a rack on the roof standard and as an option, you can get the Thule bar to put a Thule on top. +3 for the ID.4!

4. My dealer said the Mustang can't pull a trailer... really Ford haven't readily made a hitch for it yet but I heard that there is aftermarket hitch now available for it. Still, VW put a hitch standard on all ID.4 AWD, and has a rated 2800 lbs pulling capacity. With a cottage, that's also a bonus for me. +4 for the ID.4!

So if you want style and perfomance and money is no object, sure the Mustang is cooler, faster and depending on preference, has a sportier suspenssion and handling. So the Mustang and Tesla Y are probably superior in this respect. But if you have a familly and you are looking for the most practical EV for the money... well, the ID.4 beats the competition hands down by miles. I just find it's too bad that such big difference between the 3 model are rarely if never even talked about in comparison test as it can help a lot making a decision. All they are talking about is range, performance, speed, driving experience...If they mentioned trunk space, they don't mentioned the rack on the VW and the lack of one on the Mustang. I don't care how fast it is... will it carry my familly to the cottage with the trunk full, a trailer and a rack on the roof? That's what I care about. How practical is it?

Hope that help some people making a decision! Good luck!

Thank you for the very valid points. I did want to point one thing out in my favor. I have Ford Employee pricing. Which means I pay 0.04% below MSRP and also get another 2500 ontop of that. So both cars are within 500 dollars of each-other. Last calculation I ran I think the ford was 500 less for me. I still ordered the ID.4 AWD until I can figure out what I want to do. One day I think I'm going ID.4 the next Mach-E. Driving my wife crazy!

#33 ·
My dealer just got in a AWD version of the ID4. It is a night and day difference as far as drivability. The RWD pulls to 45mph and then slowly goes to an increased MPH. The AWD on the other hand pulls well over 88 MPH, I ran out of road so I couldn't see if it would of continued to pull hard.

My personal opinion is that the ID4 with its sharp turning radius and wider tires allows it to be more "GOLF GTI" like.

Then there is the Ford... True to a mustang fast in a straight line, not as good in the corners. Well they got that nostalgia right!

Disclaimer: All tests were done on a closed course, no animals were harmed and vegan friendly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.