Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
2021 Pro-S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a little gun-shy about my pre-order for the id.4 based on the problems that are being brought up on this forum-- software problems, charging difficulties, anticipated poor re-sale value in 3-4 years, bad sound system, etc.
I realize that probably most of the software glitches can be remedied, but I am becoming more concerned about the depreciation concern. Give me your thoughts.

·
16 Posts
I kinda feel the same way as you Gary O, I'm a little nervous. I do believe they will resolve a lot of these issues. This is my wife's SUV and I don't need a lot of trial and error fix em trips to dealer.I believe there are enough positives that out weigh the negatives.

·
210 Posts
I'm not too worried, but then I am used to dealing with early software on various things, and I haven't seen tons of reports of issues with the car's basic functionality at least, so even if the infotainment has some screw ups, it seems unlikely for the car to actually be un drivable or anything.

Also, I don't think I've seen anyone say the sound system is actually "bad", just that it isn't particularly great. That also worries me the least out of anything, because if it's noticeable to me I'll just do an aftermarket speaker upgrade.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
371 Posts
Don't forget that the internet is a huge echo chamber. Over-the-top negative stuff invariably gets a lot of attention. Around here we like to focus on glitches and snafus quite a bit more than on the nice stuff. That said, pay attention to the this is what we like thread.

·
83 Posts
I am getting a little gun-shy about my pre-order for the id.4 based on the problems that are being brought up on this forum-- software problems, charging difficulties, anticipated poor re-sale value in 3-4 years, bad sound system, etc.
I realize that probably most of the software glitches can be remedied, but I am becoming more concerned about the depreciation concern. Give me your thoughts.
I wouldn’t worry much about it, if you like the car get it. Any software as mostly been fixed by the updates. Just make sure your car has been updated to 2.1 or higher. It looks like they have fixed the plug and play for charging. As far as resale in the future any new car you buy will drop about 7k a year for the first couple of years. They drop the second you drive it off the lot.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
201 Posts
Have you had a chance to test drive one yet? I obviously can't decide for you, but I had some of the same concerns and it didn't stop my from buying.

The audio is fine. I think if anything the treble could use a little refinement. But coming from "premium" audio in our other cars, I'm satisfied with what the ID.4 comes with.

Software bugs? Annoying, I agree, but they'll be fixed.

Resale: if you think you're only keeping this car for a few years, maybe look at lease. I think we're going to be VW long - haulers so with the $11k in rebates, I'm not concerned, knowing most EVs not named Tesla depreciate quickly. (I bought my 2 year old i3 for less than half ITS 2017 MSRP.)

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
93 Posts
There are cheaper cars out there, there are flashier cars out there, there are quicker cars out there, and there are larger cars out there. The ID.4 is not the best at anything, but it is very good at a lot of things and it doesn't have a major flaw like many cars have. It is a solidly nice car that for me hits the best balance of safety, price, comfort, size, and efficiency even if it does not excel in any one area. It might excel at safety, actually, but we will have to wait and see on that one.

·
16 Posts
Don't forget that the internet is a huge echo chamber. Over-the-top negative stuff invariably gets a lot of attention. Around here we like to focus on glitches and snafus quite a bit more than on the nice stuff. That said, pay attention to the this is what we like thread.
I like your thinking. We did do a test drive and liked it very much.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
780 Posts
As others have said, automotive forums tend to air shortcomings disproportionate to often deserved praise. In my day to day use close to three weeks now there is nothing that truly bothers me and a whole lot I enjoy about the ID.4.
Is it perfect, of course not. Are there things to be improved, of course. Most of the things we’ve collectively nit picked are either design features vs. individual desires or some things that will very likely be activated or revamped in a future firmware update.
Take a test drive and experience for yourself.

·
2021 First Edition
138 Posts
After two weeks, I have a few minor quibbles, but no car is perfect. A lot of my issues can also be fixed in software.

Overall, the car has actually exceeded my expectations. The more I drive it, the more I love it.

·
Super Moderator
65 Posts
I'm not worried about resale. $7500 tax credit. $2000 NYS rebate. 3 years free charging.
As far as problems, I have had none. 700 miles in almost 2 weeks. So far, so good.

·
10 Posts
I respectfully disagree Lets look at 2 identically priced cars 1). $45,000 ICE, I calculated that 4 years of ownership costs $55,000. 2) $45,000 ID4 EV cost of ownership after 4 years $35,000. It would have been $5,000 less if NJ didn't drop their incentives. So after comparing the above, I paid cash for my ID, no regrets. As far as depreciation is concerned, everything depreciates, the more expensive the car the bigger the losses. The ID 4 is a reasonably priced EV, after 4 years it should retail for at least $25,000 to $30,000

·
2018 Chevy Volt
30 Posts
If you're worried about re-sale value and massive potential depreciation, opt for a lease. You get the $7,500 MSRP reduction immediately.
If things look good after 3 years, go ahead and buy the vehicle :cool:
If things don't look good, you're free to walk away. Then, the depreciation becomes the bank's problem.

·
ID.4 FE GW
185 Posts
If you're worried about re-sale value and massive potential depreciation, opt for a lease. You get the $7,500 MSRP reduction immediately.
If things look good after 3 years, go ahead and buy the vehicle :cool:
If things don't look good, you're free to walk away. Then, the depreciation becomes the bank's problem.
No, you have already paid for most of the depreciation if you lease.

Yesterday I sold my RAV4EV for $15K. MSRP was $50K when I bought it new in 2013. I paid about $35K net for it in 2013 taxes, rebates, and tax credits. That is $20K/8 years = $208 / month.

How does that compare to the true cost of an ID.4 lease (over$500/mo)?

·
113 Posts
No, you have already paid for most of the depreciation if you lease.

Yesterday I sold my RAV4EV for $15K. MSRP was $50K when I bought it new in 2013. I paid about $35K net for it in 2013 taxes, rebates, and tax credits. That is $20K/8 years = $208 / month.

How does that compare to the true cost of an ID.4 lease (over$500/mo)?
I think ID4 the people meant excess depreciation over the projected 54% on the lease deal. If it ends up being more it’s not your problem it’s the banks loss

·
151 Posts
What depreciation concern? EVs aren't going to depreciate like the Leaf did. The lease residual value can give you a clue as to values in 3 years but nobody can predict the used vehicle market in 3 years.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
113 Posts
Owner here and I LOVE this car. If I could drive all day every day in it I would. The minor quibbles and bugs are just that, minor and will be fixed in software. This is a great car! And it looks cool as heck on the road.

·
11 Posts
There are cheaper cars out there, there are flashier cars out there, there are quicker cars out there, and there are larger cars out there. The ID.4 is not the best at anything, but it is very good at a lot of things and it doesn't have a major flaw like many cars have. It is a solidly nice car that for me hits the best balance of safety, price, comfort, size, and efficiency even if it does not excel in any one area. It might excel at safety, actually, but we will have to wait and see on that one.
This. To me, THIS is the essence of Volkswagen and why I've been a lifelong brand loyalist. Some would call it boring, but I call it versatility and value. Speed freaks will say it's not fast enough. Audiophiles will say the audio is poor. Dash strokers will say the interior lacks a premium feel.

I've had my FE for only 3 days and I like it the more I drive it because it's so far pretty darn GOOD at everything. It also depends a little what you're coming from. If you're used to newer luxury vehicles, set your expectations accordingly. My newest VW prior to the ID.4 was a 2012 Touareg, so my perspective is based on that car's performance, style, fit and finish, and in-car entertainment experience. The ID.4 is like being in the future.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts