Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
2018 Chevy Volt
30 Posts
I think ID4 the people meant excess depreciation over the projected 54% on the lease deal. If it ends up being more it’s not your problem it’s the banks loss
Yes. Thank you. I was indeed referring to the fact that if your leased car depreciates more than anticipated, and the purchase price at lease end is more than what the car is actually worth, it’s the bank’s problem (and not yours).
Case in point, my Volt is worth less now than the lease end purchase price that was calculated three years ago, therefore I won’t be buying it. But I did not pay for that extra depreciation. I only paid for the anticipated depreciation.

·
101 Posts
I've driven the ID.4 twice now. The stereo isn't the greatest in the world, but I wouldn't call it bad. As with most systems, it really depends on the kind of music you listen to. I didn't find any glitches in the infotainment system, though it does have a bit of a learning curve. I found the car to be very comfortable, easy and fun to drive, and a good value for the money. My only complaint is that it's so big. Coming from an eGolf, it feels a bit like parking an elephant. Fortunately, it steers like a dream. I think your gun-shy feelings are being exacerbated by the long, long wait for the car. If it were in stock, you'd have bought it and been done. Hang in there!

·
ID.4 FE GW
186 Posts
I kind of regret buying it. Heavier, less peppy, and less cargo room, and less fun to drive than my RAV4 EV. Lots of software glitches that may never get fixed. Lots of really cheap touches - poor audio quality (speakers at your feet), glove box is basic and does not lock, the stupid 3 button window setup on the driver's door. Mediocre visibility, especially in the back. The A/C blasts your hands - poorly placed vents. The seats are comfortable.

·
150 Posts
I kind of regret buying it. Heavier, less peppy, and less cargo room, and less fun to drive than my RAV4 EV. Lots of software glitches that may never get fixed. Lots of really cheap touches - poor audio quality (speakers at your feet), glove box is basic and does not lock, the stupid 3 button window setup on the driver's door. Mediocre visibility, especially in the back. The A/C blasts your hands - poorly placed vents. The seats are comfortable.
Sounds like you should have taken a longer test drive! From what I am reading in this forum, there are several that would be happy to take it off your hands. But, from my 60 years of driving experience you are not going to find the perfect vehicle. My present car, which I am selling, has one major design flaw but I learned to live with it because the rest of the car is great, except it is not an EV.

·
ID.4 FE Blue
101 Posts
The one thing I have to agree with is the placement of the central vents. Way too low. Took me a week to find a setting that wouldn’t constantly blow in my eyes from below. Bad German engineering (in this case).

Reactions: ChristophW

·
ID.4 FE GW
186 Posts
Sounds like you should have taken a longer test drive! From what I am reading in this forum, there are several that would be happy to take it off your hands. But, from my 60 years of driving experience you are not going to find the perfect vehicle. My present car, which I am selling, has one major design flaw but I learned to live with it because the rest of the car is great, except it is not an EV.
The ID.4 seemed like a good concept to me, but its poor execution is disappointing. It's major redeeming properties in my eyes are a small turning radius, comfortable seats, and a big "gas tank," er, battery. It has cool lights - maybe that is why people like it.

It refuses to charge consistently also - a major PITA - it has never completed a single charge since I have had it.

I'm not very enamored of cars in general, but I liked driving and experimenting with my previous one (RAV4 EV). The ID.4 is pretty meh and just barely adequate in my eyes. My wife likes it more than I do. Maybe I'll just ride my bike whenever possible and let her have the ID.4. But keeping it charged for her is going to be a real PITA.

How do you all deal with the fact that it quits charging after a couple hours and refuses to restart via Car-Net?

·
33 Posts
The ID.4 seemed like a good concept to me, but its poor execution is disappointing. It's major redeeming properties in my eyes are a small turning radius, comfortable seats, and a big "gas tank," er, battery. It has cool lights - maybe that is why people like it.

It refuses to charge consistently also - a major PITA - it has never completed a single charge since I have had it.

I'm not very enamored of cars in general, but I liked driving and experimenting with my previous one (RAV4 EV). The ID.4 is pretty meh and just barely adequate in my eyes. My wife likes it more than I do. Maybe I'll just ride my bike whenever possible and let her have the ID.4. But keeping it charged for her is going to be a real PITA.

How do you all deal with the fact that it quits charging after a couple hours and refuses to restart via Car-Net?
I strongly disagree that it is executed poorly - range is good, driving dynamics are excellent even though it does not have neck snapping EV acceleration, space is practical. Wireless CarPlay integration is well thought out and smooth.

I have not had any issues with charging stopping after a couple of hours at home, and the DC fast charging curve is industry leading. Just check out Bjorn’s videos - he shows >33kw at 99%!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
As we always say it's a matter of your own experiences, needs, and expectations. I came from a small sports coupe with a wide liftback 'C' pillar and therefore at 30-45 degree intersections, which we often have thanks to following ancient cow paths, it was downright dangerous to merge into traffic.
The ID.4 has fantastic all-around views for me! 👀

... Mediocre visibility, especially in the back. ...

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
I plug in around 10:00p with no vehicle/EVSE scheduling other than vehicle 'unlock when charged - @ 80%' and it hasn't failed me yet in now 3-weeks of ownership. I come out in the morning, unhook my ChargePoint L2, and off I go with my charge right at 80%. 🤷‍♂️

Only once has the Car-Net App failed me when trying to remotely pre-condition. I suspect that was an App and/or server update and just bad luck timing.

But don't get me started on the EA App. :(

·
69 Posts
If you're regularly not completing charges I'd get it looked at. Mine has charged to whatever I set it to, every time, without interruption on L1, and DCFC. My L2 will be here in a couple weeks but I don't anticipate any problems there either.

·
ID.4 1st Edition - del 3/18/21
10 Posts
I've put close to 1,000 miles on my FE and am very happy with it. I have driven a lot of cars and own vehicles in different categories/classes. I'm most impressed with how well the ID4 checks many of the boxes. It's not as fast as many cars I've driven, but it's my daily driver. It's not as nimble as a hot hatch, but it's fun to drive. The stereo doesn't have audiophile quality like some premiums, but it sounds good... especially when using it as a rolling office. It's not as pretty as some sports cars, but it's an attractive vehicle. I can go on and on, but please know that this is an average vehicle and it's a great start to VW's electric mobility plans for the US market. I have not experienced anything in 1,000 miles that would change my mind about my purchase.

·
154 Posts
The one thing I have to agree with is the placement of the central vents. Way too low. Took me a week to find a setting that wouldn’t constantly blow in my eyes from below. Bad German engineering (in this case).
It's not bad engineering. It's the trade-off for having massive center screens that don't block outward visibility.

·
2021 1st
352 Posts
The interesting thing about the vents is that my wife and I were just commenting about them in the opposite direction. We live in the desert and I mentioned to her that they seemed well-designed to hit our core, which is more important than where vents tend to hit (usually hands and face) in terms of cooling down one's body.

It's very pleasant in 100F heat. I never considered it was born from compromise. I'm 5' 10" and I tend to adjust the seats so I'm sitting in the lowest position possible.

·
17 Posts
I am getting a little gun-shy about my pre-order for the id.4 based on the problems that are being brought up on this forum-- software problems, charging difficulties, anticipated poor re-sale value in 3-4 years, bad sound system, etc.
I realize that probably most of the software glitches can be remedied, but I am becoming more concerned about the depreciation concern. Give me your thoughts.
I have been driving my ID4 for three weeks now, and I think it is awesome. I have no regrets whatsoever! The car is rock solid, handles really well even on windy and hilly roads, is very comfortable, and I had no issues with charging or sound system. The integration with the Apple CarPlay works flawlessly, and that is what my wife and I rely on anyway, this is what we know how to use, Waze, Googlemaps, Siri, texting, calling etc. I would not want to have to learn a whole new system like in a Tesla anyway. Speaking of Tesla, my neighbors Tesla X was in the shop four times in the first year - you will not have that issue with the ID4. With my driving style, I get very close to 250 miles range. I would suggest you still take it out for a test drive and see how it feels. All the best, Klaus

·
154 Posts
its poor execution is disappointing
It's important to distinguish the difference between execution and personal like/dislikes. The vehicle is executed very well generally speaking. Most of what I'm reading from you is like/dislikes in relation to your RAV4.

I dislike that the ID.4 creeps and doesn't have auto hold. I dislike that it doesn't accelerate as strongly as my Model 3. That's not poor execution.

·
ID.4 1st blue
116 Posts
I'm firmly in the no regrets camp. Love the car as detailed in this thread.

As for depreciation here's my thoughts. I've been looking hard at the EV new and used market since 2019 and what I've found is the biggest depreciation is on the smaller range vehicles ( >150 miles). I picked up used 2017 Kia Soul EV+ w/ only 27k miles for $12k w/ a new sticker of $38k. Yuck (but good for me!).

But when you look at the next generation of longer range EVs that came out in 2019 - Kona EV and Niro EV and Bolt - you'll see a more reasonable depreciation. The Bolt is the worse of those three but it is really very very small car and I think that limits its resale market. Chevy has also driven down the prices by heavily discounting their new cars prior to launching their updated version this year.

I'm betting the ID 4 will do fairly well on this front b/c I think it will be a popular and well respected car that even in 3 to 5 years will meet many people's needs even if it's not the latest and greatest. The size, range and features far outclass anything else in this price range.

As others have said, you have to account for the tax rebates in estimating the future value. With $7500 in fed and various states going up to $5k I'm guess about a $9k hit there so that takes my $45k car to $36k and then in three years I can't imagine it will be worth less than $25k for a premium car with these features and functions. That's better than the residual lease value VW is guessing.

So yeah, it's a bet but I definitely can see a path where depreciation isn't below normal for a new car and just maybe will do better as the EV market continues to grow and in 3 to 5 years people will be more ready to jump in but might want to go used as a first EV.

Personally, I think we'll own this car for a long time.

·
31 Posts
Owner here and I LOVE this car. If I could drive all day every day in it I would. The minor quibbles and bugs are just that, minor and will be fixed in software. This is a great car! And it looks cool as heck on the road.
I totally agree. Love driving this car....so smooth, quiet and comfortable. I find the sound system to be much better than what I had in my Passat. Quite happy with the sound and yes, there are a few glitches, but they have been so minor, and has been stated, they will be fixed in software updates. There are glitches all around us. Look at phones and computers. They are always receiving updates. This car has exceeded my expectations and I look forward to driving it every day.

·
18 Posts
I love my car! It is a blast to drive , do smooth, quick snd quiet, I get lots of looks in the blue color and lots of interest. I still have the AWd on order, but had an opportunity to pick up a first edition. Do not regret for a minute. I believe most of the negativity is driven by the wait. Hang in there, you will love it. I am a gear head who loves sports cars and muscle cars. This thing is cool as crap! This is my first VW and first EV.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts