Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

2021 1st
Hyundai Kona ultimate 50%
Nissan Leaf SV: 45%; SL: 47%
Chevy Bolt: 53%
Mach-e: 59% 馃槷 (seems to be some conflicting info on special leasing options and mention of 41% instead)

Didn't look up Tesla since the notoriety plays a lot into the resale/residual value.

ID.4 is at 46%, not the best but comparable.
ID4 1st residual is 49%

I was only given a 15 minute test drive and was told that I needed to decide right then.
I did not like it during the test drive. My wife thought that it may be acceptable, so I bought it.
She can drive it, but she wants me to debug it and replace all the crappy items (get it to actually complete a charge, add homelink mirror, replace audio hardware, see if SW bugs can be fixed).
Dealer pressure sucks but you don't have to take it. I took a leisurely 30 minute test drive. Stopped, checked out the vehicle midway through, gave my wife a chance to drive it back to the dealership. All without a salesperson with us. I told him I would sleep on it and call him in the morning and not to touch my car until the next day. He complied.

Did you pre-order the car or purchase a canceled order/car on the lot?

PS: No regrets from this new owner. All the things people have commented on are true, to an extent. I am coming from an older VW so this thing is like future magic to me. I considered a used Jaguar I-Pace but am glad I got the ID.4. It's replacing a daily driver duty car and therefore more for utility and comfort than driving thrills. I have other cars for that.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
My dealer let me take their demo, by myself, for two hours while they were finishing their prep on my 1st Edition. I drove it the 20 minutes home to further test parking in my garage and even charged it for a bit to test my EVSE. But as I was a pre-order and their first buyer I may have gotten some add'l demo leeway.
But in general No, you don't have to endure dealer pressure. Just go with another dealer, even if a greater distance. I've many times bought from more distant dealers and then had serviced at my nearest.

btw: when pulling into the garage recently my wife said "this is like docking a starship" (given the unique sound, or lack thereof, and the prominent display). Although she watched all TNG episodes with me years ago I can't say she's really a fan of the 'trek genre either. 馃お

You didn't like it and your wife only thought it "may be acceptable?" Not much of a reason to buy imho. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

I was only given a 15 minute test drive and was told that I needed to decide right then.
I did not like it during the test drive. My wife thought that it may be acceptable, so I bought it.
She can drive it, but she wants me to debug it and replace all the crappy items (get it to actually complete a charge, add homelink mirror, replace audio hardware, see if SW bugs can be fixed).

Super Moderator
It refuses to charge consistently also - a major PITA - it has never completed a single charge since I have had it.
We have over 900 miles on ours and have never had a single problem charging at home (JuiceBox) or at Electrify America.

It refuses to charge consistently also - a major PITA - it has never completed a single charge since I have had it.
Do you have charge scheduling / preferred charging turned on in the car? It is possible that is causing the issue. It does not work well for me.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
I just don't have this problem either. This seems like either a problem with the EVSE, or something to have the service dept look into.

ID.4 FE GW
Did you pre-order the car or purchase a canceled order/car on the lot?

PS: No regrets from this new owner. All the things people have commented on are true, to an extent. I am coming from an older VW so this thing is like future magic to me. I considered a used Jaguar I-Pace but am glad I got the ID.4. It's replacing a daily driver duty car and therefore more for utility and comfort than driving thrills. I have other cars for that.
I pre-ordered on Day 1 and was the dealership's first ID.4 sale / delivery.

I came from an electric small SUV that had good performance (cargo room, acceleration, braking, visibility, audio, no big SW bugs) and was hoping to replace it with something with similar properties but better reliability. That did not happen.

ID.4 FE GW
I just don't have this problem either. This seems like either a problem with the EVSE, or something to have the service dept look into.
Thanks for reporting this. Do you use both the departure time schedule and also set preferred times for charging (I do)? Also, do you lock your car when you charge or leave it unlocked? Do you have the car set to unlock the charge plug when finished?

I have only tried charging the ID.4 once, but I have had that EVSE for 8 years and it has done well on 3 or more different cars in nearly 1000 charging sessions. The EVSE never threw a fault when the ID.4 stopped charging 3 times and required no resetting when I restarted it.

I have absolutely zero confidence that a car dealer will seriously investigate the charge problem until there is a hard failure and I can show them the error code from an OBD reader. That has been my experience with previous electric cars.

ID.4 FE GW
Do you have charge scheduling / preferred charging turned on in the car? It is possible that is causing the issue. It does not work well for me.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

You bet I have both the departure schedule and the preferred charging time turned on. Has always worked fine with this EVSE in several other cars for the past 8 years. I need to charge at low TOU times.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Have you tried plugging in when you go to bed, just by way of experiment? It works fine for me (to both 80 and 100%).
I've noted that plugging in at 10:00p it's done fairly quickly if only down to 50-60%. Well within any TOU limits.
You bet I have both the departure schedule and the preferred charging time turned on. Has always worked fine with this EVSE in several other cars for the past 8 years. I need to charge at low TOU times.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
Thanks for reporting this. Do you use both the departure time schedule and also set preferred times for charging (I do)? Also, do you lock your car when you charge or leave it unlocked? Do you have the car set to unlock the charge plug when finished?

I have only tried charging the ID.4 once, but I have had that EVSE for 8 years and it has done well on 3 or more different cars in nearly 1000 charging sessions. The EVSE never threw a fault when the ID.4 stopped charging 3 times and required no resetting when I restarted it.

I have absolutely zero confidence that a car dealer will seriously investigate the charge problem until there is a hard failure and I can show them the error code from an OBD reader. That has been my experience with previous electric cars.
I haven't tried that - our electric rate is the same at all hours, so that's not a scenario I have tried. And for that matter, the car is in the garage, so no point in locking it. Others have noted a weird issue where if you come near the car with the key fob while charging is in progress, that it stops charging. Any chance that this is happening in your case?

At the moment, it sounds like VW is watching carefully for people with problems and jumping through hoops to resolve issues. I agree that the dealers would likely be befuddled by this, but reaching out to emobility directly might get you the quickest resolution.

ID.4 FE GW
My dealer let me take their demo, by myself, for two hours while they were finishing their prep on my 1st Edition. I drove it the 20 minutes home to further test parking in my garage and even charged it for a bit to test my EVSE. But as I was a pre-order and their first buyer I may have gotten some add'l demo leeway.
But in general No, you don't have to endure dealer pressure. Just go with another dealer, even if a greater distance. I've many times bought from more distant dealers and then had serviced at my nearest.

btw: when pulling into the garage recently my wife said "this is like docking a starship" (given the unique sound, or lack thereof, and the prominent display). Although she watched all TNG episodes with me years ago I can't say she's really a fan of the 'trek genre either. 馃お

You didn't like it and your wife only thought it "may be acceptable?" Not much of a reason to buy imho. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
I was also a preorder from Day 1 and the dealerships first ID.4 delivery. I was hoping to replace my 8 year old RAV4 EV small electric SUV with good performance (cargo room, acceleration, braking, handling, road noise, audio quality, few SW bugs) with something that had similar performance but bigger range and better reliability. The ID.4 is not it. The ID.4 has pretty lights and many buggy software options but poor performance in the areas that count for me.

It was time for me to replace the RAV4EV - I am getting busier at work and am gearing up to support commissioning a new space observatory this fall from a control center on the other side of the country. The Tesla-made onboard charger on the RAV4 EV died when I was deployed to Texas for instrument testing during the summer of 2017, and it took months to get Toyota to honor their warranty, coordinate the JdeMO removal and re-installation, find a dealer that would do the repair, etc. I didn't want to go through that again.

My wife likes the ID.4, or she will like it after I add the homelink mirror and rip out and replace the inferior speakers in the doors, A-pillar, and dash and figure out how to get it to charge overnight withot stopping 3 times or more. Ugh.She likes its fancy lights and the passenger comfort (better than the RAV4EV). She also has experienced fewer bad bugs than I have - no blasting of music when the slider is on the lowest setting, etc. Maybe I should have her try charging it.

I'm going to minimize my driving, drive my wife's 2013 Volt when needed, and then look to replace that car with a decently-performing small electric SUV (in the above areas) in a few years if one is ever sold in the US market.

ID.4 FE GW
I haven't tried that - our electric rate is the same at all hours, so that's not a scenario I have tried. And for that matter, the car is in the garage, so no point in locking it. Others have noted a weird issue where if you come near the car with the key fob while charging is in progress, that it stops charging. Any chance that this is happening in your case?

At the moment, it sounds like VW is watching carefully for people with problems and jumping through hoops to resolve issues. I agree that the dealers would likely be befuddled by this, but reaching out to emobility directly might get you the quickest resolution.
After leaving the car, I immediately put the key fob with all others in a Faraday cage we use just for this purpose. Keeps thiefs from using a booster to amplify the FOB signal to open the car doors when the keys are actually inside the house and the car is outside.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Same here, I have a low rate from 12am to 6am. Try turning off the preferred charging time. Keep the departure time as the end of your TOU period. The downside is that it could start charging before the TOU start time. In my case it consistently under calculates i.e. it always starts charging after 12am and ends at 6am without reaching the full set charge of 80%. Bottomline, it just doesn't work well. I have a dumb evse and have to depend on the car to set the schedule. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

The Model Y specs did not meet my requirements:
  • Inferior cargo capacity - both total volume and usable space (too short at hatch opening)
  • Acceleration is not a discriminator in my Kepner-Tregoe weighting matrix
  • Current Tesla quality / reliability fails to meet my requirements
  • Model Y is excessively long (6-7" more than ID.4 or RAV4EV) and has an unacceptably large turning radius
  • Model Y cost is much higher than ID.4 yet meets fewer requirements
  • Teslas have terrible image association where I live, FWIW. Every third car is a Tesla and they are driven by techies, techie wannabees, or people in a socio-economic class that I do not hold in high regard.

The ID.4 specs were much closer to my requirements, but I am quite unhappy with its execution as I have detailed in previous posts.
You and I are in the same boat. Basically the price point; looks; cargo space won out over the benefits of getting the Model Y. And I will say that I really wanted to get a Model Y. However, the ID.4 has so far been a great car to drive and own. I'm loving it.

2021 1st
If reliability is a must-have, going from Toyota to VW is the wrong direction, imo. I write that as a multi-decade, exclusively VW family.

Hopefully the charging issues are resolved, but I will point out they existed during the eGolf years and I'm not sure they were ever fixed. It might be worth checking out the eGolf forums to see if that was ever resolved in the last years (2019).

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue Somewhere on the Gulf?
I've seen similar things before on other platforms where the logic of a setting breaks another setting in fun ways.

If reliability is a must-have, going from Toyota to VW is the wrong direction, imo. I write that as a multi-decade, exclusively VW family.

Hopefully the charging issues are resolved, but I will point out they existed during the eGolf years and I'm not sure they were ever fixed. It might be worth checking out the eGolf forums to see if that was ever resolved in the last years (2019).
I for one would love it if Toyota made it look like they cared about BEVs. But they don't seem to be making concrete steps in that direction (even with some as-yet-unannounced-but-supposedly-available-in-2021 models). I've only ever owned/driven a car that was a Toyota or Toyota-adjacent, but I am not going to hold on my electrification plans while they get theirs sorted out. Maybe when my probable lease ends, they'll have decided they want to compete.

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue Somewhere on the Gulf?
I for one would love it if Toyota made it look like they cared about BEVs. But they don't seem to be making concrete steps in that direction (even with some as-yet-unannounced-but-supposedly-available-in-2021 models). I've only ever owned/driven a car that was a Toyota or Toyota-adjacent, but I am not going to hold on my electrification plans while they get theirs sorted out. Maybe when my probable lease ends, they'll have decided they want to compete.
I have had All sorts of cars over the years and I will say my current Camry has been excellent. And I know that Toyotafiles (is that a thing) were concerned at the time because the cars parts were largely being made and partially built in China, which was new at the time, and there was a feeling quality had taken a dive.

ID.4 FE GW
The reliability of Toyota components in the RAV4 EV was fine.
The reliability of its Tesla components was fairly terrible. THe heritage is Roadster batteries and early Model S motor and electronics.

Tesla also made its parts very difficult to repair. Fuses would fail in the Tesla DC-DC converter, and Toyota would charge something like $4K for a reconditioned part. The case consisted of 2 halves that were bonded together, and you had to break the bond to access the fuses and then rebond the halves.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts