Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
59 Posts
I want 19inch as I read it is more quiet and smoother ride. I just picked up FE with 20inch and posted a trade in with 19inch in sales thread

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I have the 20" on my FE. I was originally going Pro S non-Gradient mostly for grey interior and 19" rims. Even tho' a bigger wheel there's plenty of sidewall profile on them and I've had to traverse many potholes and tar patches this Spring.

19" are probably a bit more comfortable but given the nice seats in the ID.4 and again this SUV-ample tire size it's very comfortable to me, and comfort was again one of my top priorities.

If this were say a sport coupe under discussion 19" vs. 20" would be a big comfort/potential damage discriminator, but again as in the SUV realm relatively negligible.

My wife has a GLA with 18" rims, at-sale reduced from 19" only because we wanted silver vs. black wheels. I/we feel the ID.4 rides better. But in fairness her's are runflat tires and that's a whole nuther comfort/quiet thing.

So, for me no regrets. In fact no regrets in my ID.4 purchase at all. Just some niggly software items to rectify, which likely will be.

But a test drive (of both 19/20" if possible) is your friend. ;)

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
Do you find the FE with 20" wheels to be uncomfortable/loud Victor? Of course comfort/quiet is a very subjective thing. And also a recent experience thing. I came from a small sports coupe so most any SUV was going to be more comfortable. And if one were say coming from a Jeep most anything would be quieter.

I want 19inch as I read it is more quiet and smoother ride. I just picked up FE with 20inch and posted a trade in with 19inch in sales thread

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 20" on my FE. I was originally going Pro S non-Gradient mostly for grey interior and 19" rims. Even tho' a bigger wheel there's plenty of sidewall profile on them and I've had to traverse many potholes and tar patches this Spring.

19" are probably a bit more comfortable but given the nice seats in the ID.4 and again this SUV-ample tire size it's very comfortable to me, and comfort was again one of my top priorities.

If this were say a sport coupe under discussion 19" vs. 20" would be a big comfort discriminator, but again as in the SUV realm relatively negligible.

My wife has a GLA with 18" rims, at-sale reduced from 19" only because we wanted silver vs. black wheels. I/we feel the ID.4 rides better. But in fairness her's are runlet tires and that's a whole nether comfort/quiet thing.

So, for me no regrets. In fact no regrets in my ID.4 purchase at all. Just some niggly software items to rectify, which likely will be.

But a test drive (of both 19/20" if possible) is your friend. ;)
Thanks.

I test drove the 20s, and saw no issue. There is still plenty of sidewall on the sidewalls.

At the end of the day, I can get a blue car tomorrow with 19s, or wait a month and get a white car with 20s.

I want the latter, but would rather not wait.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
Then you've made your decision. Enjoy your soon new ID.4 :)

Heck, I went ahead with the FE "2nd chance" because I didn't want to wait. It happens. ;)

Thanks.

I test drove the 20s, and saw no issue. There is still plenty of sidewall on the sidewalls.

At the end of the day, I can get a blue car tomorrow with 19s, or wait a month and get a white car with 20s.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
165 Posts
I test drove the FE with 20" wheels and then bought that same FE with 19" wheels swapped on from a Pro model because the 19" Pro felt more comfortable to me. Having driven my 19" wheeled FE for a few hundred miles now, it is super comfortable and I enjoy having that extra peace of mind regarding pothole protection. With that being said, the 20" wheels were totally fine when I tried them out. Even though I claim to have been able to tell the difference, I am not super confident I would be able to if forced to make a blind side-by-side comparison. My preference for the 19" wheels mostly came out of a personal anxiety over driving my new ride on cruddy midwestern roads. I wanted to maximize comfort/range and derisk wheel damage as much as possible. That, and I've never been one to notice or care about wheel appearance, so the main perks of 20" wheels were lost on me anyway.

·
59 Posts
Do you find the FE with 20" wheels to be uncomfortable/loud Victor? Of course comfort/quiet is a very subjective thing. And also a recent experience thing. I came from a small sports coupe so most any SUV was going to be more comfortable. And if one were say coming from a Jeep most anything would be quieter.
I have some hearing loss on left hear and some tinnitus issue and i can hear lot of frequencies others cannot. So i like quietest car possible. And i think 19inch will further make it more quiet.

·
2021 First Edition
177 Posts
Preferred 19", but got 20" when I switched to FE.

Ride quality is fine. I'm already resigned to them eventually getting dinged up, so whatever.

·
249 Posts
I have some hearing loss on left hear and some tinnitus issue and i can hear lot of frequencies others cannot. So i like quietest car possible. And i think 19inch will further make it more quiet.
Same here but the loss is in higher frequency sound in the right ear. Many ear infections in the 60’s and working around diesel motors for decades.

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
42 Posts
Thanks.

If it's only a month, get the car you want!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I’ve lost some high frequency sensitivity being around F4 Phantom aircraft so much a long time ago when attention to the effects were less concerning. Oh well, life happens.
On the plus side the ID.4 audio system is therefore fine for me. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts