Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
9 Posts
Looks interesting. I was thinking of getting a dash-cam just yesterday. I think I'll get this one. I'll wait a few days for new posts in case it is too good to be true.
Anybody have recommendations for rear dash-cams ?

·
15 Posts
I like the idea but I am not convinced by lack of reviews, reddit thread that seems to have fake messages praising it or the fitcamx homepages are not that .. nice.

I might still buy it if many enough try it on this forum :).

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
154 Posts
Looks interesting. I was thinking of getting a dash-cam just yesterday. I think I'll get this one. I'll wait a few days for new posts in case it is too good to be true.
Anybody have recommendations for rear dash-cams ?
Fitcamx website offers front and rear channel dash cam; Amazon page only offers front.

I personally would go with a more trustworthy brand like Viofo, Thinkware, Blackvue, Blueskysea, or Vantrue.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know anything about it either, but I like that it looks stock (most folks wouldn't know it was there or what it was for) and that it doesn't require running wires to power it. the 3 year protection plan they offer for $22 might be a good idea

They've been selling similar unit for other VW models for quite some time

·
45 Posts
I ordered a similar 4K one from AliExpress: 62.4US $ 48% OFF|New ! Full HD 4K 2160P Car DVR Wifi Video Recorder Dash Cam Camera For Volkswagen idx4 idx6 prime pro pure/1st Edition ID.4 2021|DVR/Dash Camera| - AliExpress

You can see pictures of what I received here: Dashcam

The one I received looks more like the bulky Amazon one you linked to but I was expecting the compact, curvy look. The app is VERY basic compared to the BlackVue app (which I use with our other car) but it does work with a decent image when I benchtop tested it with a 12V power supply. I also bought the version without the easier installation that plugs into the mirror power connection because that power source shuts off when parked. If you want a dashcam to record when you're parked, it needs to still get power from somewhere that's always on.

I'm going to try and return it since the bulky size isn't going to make it any less intrusive than just installing my old BlackVue. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

·
2021 Glacier White ID.4 Pro
2 Posts
The website for the Carbaohui implies that you can see the camera image on the built-in screen in the ID.4. But then again, the product images aren’t of that product or of an ID.4. Did the installation or use instructions you got clarify whether it worked that way?

·
407 Posts
The website for the Carbaohui implies that you can see the camera image on the built-in screen in the ID.4. But then again, the product images aren’t of that product or of an ID.4. Did the installation or use instructions you got clarify whether it worked that way?
I think they meant that the recorded videos are playable through the car's media player....by taking the micro sd card out of camera and then plugging it in to the console USB-C port using an adapter.

·
45 Posts
The cable dongle that connects to the camera includes what looks to be a RCA video out. You would only be able to connect that to an aftermarket head unit that has that input. That does not apply to the ID.4.

I got authorization to return it for a refund so it’s definitely going back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts