Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
108 Posts
I ordered a similar 4K one from AliExpress: 62.4US $ 48% OFF|New ! Full HD 4K 2160P Car DVR Wifi Video Recorder Dash Cam Camera For Volkswagen idx4 idx6 prime pro pure/1st Edition ID.4 2021|DVR/Dash Camera| - AliExpress

You can see pictures of what I received here: Dashcam

The one I received looks more like the bulky Amazon one you linked to but I was expecting the compact, curvy look. The app is VERY basic compared to the BlackVue app (which I use with our other car) but it does work with a decent image when I benchtop tested it with a 12V power supply. I also bought the version without the easier installation that plugs into the mirror power connection because that power source shuts off when parked. If you want a dashcam to record when you're parked, it needs to still get power from somewhere that's always on.

I'm going to try and return it since the bulky size isn't going to make it any less intrusive than just installing my old BlackVue. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

·
108 Posts
The website for the Carbaohui implies that you can see the camera image on the built-in screen in the ID.4. But then again, the product images aren’t of that product or of an ID.4. Did the installation or use instructions you got clarify whether it worked that way?
The cable dongle that connects to the camera includes what looks to be a RCA video out. You would only be able to connect that to an aftermarket head unit that has that input. That does not apply to the ID.4.

I got authorization to return it for a refund so it’s definitely going back.

·
108 Posts
Oh damn that's disappointing, I also ordered this although it's a different listing. There are even reviews with photos of it and everything! I wonder if they are fake.
I don’t think there is an official version so fake is harsh. I’m thinking that the 1440p version is the one in the pictures. They may have needed the larger form factor for the 4K electronics and never updated photos. I’m slightly tempted to try out the 1440p and see if I get the sleek version but I’m not a fan of dealing with China logistics.

·
108 Posts
Ordered one directly from their site after watching a few YouTube installs/reviews. Had a sale yesterday - so far seems legit. They emailed to confirm vehicle, has tracking info etc.
Please report back which of the pictures the product actually looks like.

·
108 Posts
I meant I wonder if the reviews are fake. I ordered the 2k version so I will report back.
The reviews seem generic but maybe that's because they are translated from Korean... Both reviews do indicate the "1600p" version and the form matches the curvy pictures so that seems to be the right version to get. Just keep in mind that the version that taps into the mirror power connector will only record when the car is "on". I really want parking recording since the car is one gigantic electric power source and powering the camera when parked shouldn't be an issue for the car's electrical system.

·
108 Posts
i’ve never had a dash cam that does parking monitoring. the cops around here don’t really do their jobs so not much benefit to recording petty crimes on a dash cam. Plus I don’t want to drain my battery while parked.
It's more of an insurance issue if you get hit-and-run while parked. As far as draining the battery goes... the tiny power draw from this one camera is NOTHING in the scheme of things. That's how a Tesla is able to have Sentry Mode running with the car parked and at least 4 cameras recording.

·
108 Posts
Teslas are well known for having horrible phantom drain and sentry mode is one of the culprits.
From what I've read, it seems like Tesla chose to keep the majority of the car's computers active while the car is parked. This allows them to do sentry mode as well as have the car ready to drive much faster than if it had to boot up from a complete shutdown. I'm sure that the response time of their app also benefits from that when the car is parked.

VW went a different route and the ID.4 basically shuts down after you lock the car. Once thing I hate is that I can't just get in the car and go because it takes a looooooong time for the computer to wake up and display the backup camera. There is a 12V battery that the car uses to power the electrical systems that stay on all the time and, if that battery gets low, the car will use the main battery to charge it back up.

I guess I can report back since I plan to install my old BlackVue dashcam and wire it to the always-on rear 12V cigarette lighter fuse. That thing will be recording 24/7/365.

·
108 Posts
The video is always saved until there is not enough space left on the microsd card. The oldest videos get erased when recording new videos.

There are two options to view the video: remove the microsd card and view on PC or use the adhoc WiFi network to connect directly with a phone and app. The later requires the dashcam to be on so ignition would need to be on.

·
108 Posts
I got the dash cam delivered yesterday but have problems with the installation. I need to disconnect the rain sensor, but am not able to pull the plug out. I have tried pulling on the cable, but am worried that if I apply more pull I will rip the cables out while the plug stays. Anyone know what to do?

View attachment 8849
There's definitely a release clip. You can see how this person does it at :25s in this video:

·
108 Posts
I don't think so. The person on the video just seems to be pulling on the cable (and is more lucky then I am). Again, I could probably pull harder, but am worried that I will end up with 3 lose cables and a plug still plugged in...
This is what the connector looks like. There is that tiny nub preventing it from unplugging. See if you can get a tiny flathead screwdriver in there to pull up on the connector instead of tugging harder on the wires.
Rectangle Font Circle Electric blue Pattern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts