Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Anybody Bought This Dashcam Yet?

50K views 164 replies 48 participants last post by  M.B 
#1 ·
It's from Amazon and specifically designed for our cars!

#7 ·
Looks interesting. I was thinking of getting a dash-cam just yesterday. I think I'll get this one. I'll wait a few days for new posts in case it is too good to be true.
Anybody have recommendations for rear dash-cams ?
Fitcamx website offers front and rear channel dash cam; Amazon page only offers front.

I personally would go with a more trustworthy brand like Viofo, Thinkware, Blackvue, Blueskysea, or Vantrue.

#8 ·
I don't know anything about it either, but I like that it looks stock (most folks wouldn't know it was there or what it was for) and that it doesn't require running wires to power it. the 3 year protection plan they offer for $22 might be a good idea

They've been selling similar unit for other VW models for quite some time

#9 ·
I ordered a similar 4K one from AliExpress: 62.4US $ 48% OFF|New ! Full HD 4K 2160P Car DVR Wifi Video Recorder Dash Cam Camera For Volkswagen idx4 idx6 prime pro pure/1st Edition ID.4 2021|DVR/Dash Camera| - AliExpress

You can see pictures of what I received here: Dashcam

The one I received looks more like the bulky Amazon one you linked to but I was expecting the compact, curvy look. The app is VERY basic compared to the BlackVue app (which I use with our other car) but it does work with a decent image when I benchtop tested it with a 12V power supply. I also bought the version without the easier installation that plugs into the mirror power connection because that power source shuts off when parked. If you want a dashcam to record when you're parked, it needs to still get power from somewhere that's always on.

I'm going to try and return it since the bulky size isn't going to make it any less intrusive than just installing my old BlackVue. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

#14 ·
I ordered a similar 4K one from AliExpress: 62.4US $ 48% OFF|New ! Full HD 4K 2160P Car DVR Wifi Video Recorder Dash Cam Camera For Volkswagen idx4 idx6 prime pro pure/1st Edition ID.4 2021|DVR/Dash Camera| - AliExpress

You can see pictures of what I received here: Dashcam

The one I received looks more like the bulky Amazon one you linked to but I was expecting the compact, curvy look. The app is VERY basic compared to the BlackVue app (which I use with our other car) but it does work with a decent image when I benchtop tested it with a 12V power supply. I also bought the version without the easier installation that plugs into the mirror power connection because that power source shuts off when parked. If you want a dashcam to record when you're parked, it needs to still get power from somewhere that's always on.

I'm going to try and return it since the bulky size isn't going to make it any less intrusive than just installing my old BlackVue. Oh well. It was worth a shot.
Oh damn that's disappointing, I also ordered this although it's a different listing. There are even reviews with photos of it and everything! I wonder if they are fake.

#28 ·
It's from Amazon and specifically designed for our cars!

I ordered one in late November via Amazon and it tracked to the US and CA. As of December 14 it has not moved and and seems to be lost between the shipping company and the USPS!

#53 ·
Maybe a bit off topic, but is there a reason why dealers don't offer dashcams as add-ons when you go to purchase a car? Dealers certainly seem to want to add on a bunch of stuff of questionable utility that nobody wants at marked up prices few people want to pay (e.g. VIN etching, paint protection, fabric protection, wheel protection plans, extended warranties, "security" systems). Why not dashcams? It seems like something that people actually want and may be willing to pay extra to have installed professionally... Or am I missing something? Maybe dealers have no interest in adding anything of actual value?

#62 ·
I noticed in the Amazon page for the Fitcamx it says the following:

“With the built-in WiFi and self-developed FITCAMX APP, you can view and download videos to phone or PC device while on the way. Please download footage before car engine off if needed to playback.”

Does this mean the video of a crash is lost as soon as you shut off the car? In a crash, shutting down the car is my first thought. Tending to injuries and securing the scene is my first priority not messing with a dash cam. The dash cam video needs to be saved and available post crash and long after the car is shutdown and secure. Is it possible there’s something lost in the Fitcamx product translation here?

#63 ·
The video is always saved until there is not enough space left on the microsd card. The oldest videos get erased when recording new videos.

There are two options to view the video: remove the microsd card and view on PC or use the adhoc WiFi network to connect directly with a phone and app. The later requires the dashcam to be on so ignition would need to be on.

#65 ·
I got the dash cam delivered yesterday but have problems with the installation. I need to disconnect the rain sensor, but am not able to pull the plug out. I have tried pulling on the cable, but am worried that if I apply more pull I will rip the cables out while the plug stays. Anyone know what to do?

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

#70 ·
It looks like there is a nubbin on top that keeps it in place. Below is a photo of the Y-adapter that comes with the dash cam. From the schematic above and this picture it looks like the nubbin is on top, so bending down might do the trick...Will provide update tomorrow.

Wrist Fashion accessory Handwriting Font Event

#71 ·
It looks like there is a nubbin on top that keeps it in place. Below is a photo of the Y-adapter that comes with the dash cam. From the schematic above and this picture it looks like the nubbin is on top, so bending down might do the trick...Will provide update tomorrow.
In the video's it seemed pretty tight trying to get your fingers to the right spot to 'unlock' the connector. I'm sure once someone gets a good couple pictures it will be clear what exactly is needed. Let us know how it went...

#72 ·
Okay, I am afraid I have to return this dashcam and live without one (good thing I bought on Amazon). Support got back to me and told me to pull the cable up and out. I was able to get a Philips head screwdriver into the socket and move the plug a tiny little bit out, but that's it. I am at a point where I fear I just will rip the plug apart and generate a $1000 repair. Not worth it. IMHO, if you sell a DIY dash cam, provide the necessary tools for the DIY. I am definitely handy and repair stuff in the house on my own, but this is not working for me. Frustrated...

#78 ·
I'm interested in how the 4K version install goes. If you take photos that would be great. Also, How easy is the cam to use and view video? I really like the idea of having the camera is integrated info the car so it looks like it was original equipment. Thanks

#75 ·
Tech support sent another email telling me to remove the mirror base first by rotating it counterclockwise. They linked to the video below. Looks easy enough. Does anyone have experience with that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.