Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that there was about a quarter inch gap in the trim piece above the VW circle to the body. The entire thing was loose EXCEPT the end clips. I pushed it back in and could hear the fasteners slip into the receivers but none "clicked" into position. Anyone had theirs fall off yet? Sorry, I didn't get a photo but I won't miss that opportunity again.

·
77 Posts
ID Furkken has a video about this on YouTube. He says it is a known issue with VW and it is due to the trim expanding due to heat.

·
98 Posts
Yep after seeing Furkan's video on it, I checked mine and sure enough saw the gap.

I have the day off today so took it to the dealer immediately. I am in the waiting room now haha.

·
407 Posts
I notice that plastic strip was out about 1/4 inch the first week I had my car. I pushed it in and heard a snap and it has not come out since.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
131 Posts
Yes, even with our temperate climate recently, the strip had worked itself out about 1/8 - 3/16. Pushing it back, I was not able to get it to 'click' in but it did seem to stay closer to the body.

I also have the cover under the spoiler at the top of the rear window coming unstuck (about 1/3 of the way from the left to right) This part also will push in (in this case upwards) but will not click into its permanent place just with finger pressure.

Guess that I'd better make a dealer trip on these.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
24 Posts
After seeing this thread, I checked my card and it was also kind of sticking out. I pushed the logo in and I felt the bottom of the logo emblem kinda click into place. The rest of the bar still has a slight gap on the top of it, but I'm not sure if it should look like that or not. Will be driving this weekend so I'll check on Sunday if anything's changed, and if so, time for another trip to the dealer!

·
52 Posts
Wow! Just saw this thread last night and I checked this morning, mine is sticking out too. Not only the tail light piece, but I also have the cover under the rear spoiler like @Swimrwo mentioned and my passenger side rear tail light cover is sticking out on the edges a little bit as well.

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
+1 on the light bar. It hasn't been particularly warm here (Seattle), so maybe road surfaces can jar it loose. It snapped back in with a light press.

·
VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
109 Posts
I started seeing this too now that it is warming up. I just had my double check appointment at the dealer last weekend and reported it, but they said they hadn't seen a bulletin or anything about it yet. Hopefully one shows up soon stateside, as ID Furkan said in his videos or on here (can't remember which) that dealers in Europe know about it.

·
8 Posts
Update for me: dealer is ordering new brackets. I have to bring it in sometime next week.
Which dealer are you working with for the issue? The dealer in San Jose, Ca (Stevens Creek VW) just removed the part and reinstalled it and the gap is still there. I'm working with VW customer service. Hopefully they can do something.

·
8 Posts
Just got a call from VW customer service and they explain that the gap is acceptable because there is nothing broken in the rear taillight. I believe the taillight is warped and should be replaced. I still can't believe that looking at the ID.4 PRO model has a better fitment versus the 1st edition. Any recommendation on getting VW to replace the taillight? This is my first EV and I'm unhappy with the fitment. It's very annoying and seeing during the daylight.

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
Just got a call from VW customer service and they explain that the gap is acceptable because there is nothing broken in the rear taillight. I believe the taillight is warped and should be replaced. I still can't believe that looking at the ID.4 PRO model has a better fitment versus the 1st edition. Any recommendation on getting VW to replace the taillight? This is my first EV and I'm unhappy with the fitment. It's very annoying and seeing during the daylight.
It's one thing if there's a gap, it's an entirely different thing if it "pops" back in when you press it. If the latter, that's a problem with quality of the fasteners. Some have mentioned getting new brackets.

I mailed [email protected]. Enough messages will get notice.

Reactions: Swimrwo

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
98 Posts
It seems that VW may have used a plastic composite for this piece that has too much linear thermal expansion. It may be R-PP (rubber modified polypropylene). The fix for this typically requires slide clips, however this light bar is sufficient long to necessitate a 2-piece assembly. In other words, there may not be a simple fix to this issue.

·
7 Posts
Same issue here. ID4 FE. Dealer said "likely will be recall eventually". Didn't fix it.

Any fixes from others?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts