Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
14 Posts
In the USA we have lights that will also pool-illuminate to the side as you turn but not actually turn the headlight beams themselves as in Europe (we're not DOT approved for same, hence this subject mechanical safeguard).
I actually prefer them as they are, as I find the fully articulating lights distracting when turning, as suddenly no light in the direction you're still headed for a moment. So, to each their own. ;)
I see the beams steer as I turn the wheel, but I don't know if that's mechanical movement or the matrix led doing its thing...

·
338 Posts
I just got a notice today about the recall for my FE.
Manufacturer Compliance Recall issued
NHTSA #21V413
Recall #94O6 HEADLIGHT CAPS - HORIZONTAL AIM
I'll just wait until my 30/60 day checkup.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Interestingly, while at the dealer getting this recall done today, the saleman informed me that VW was requiring dealers to get this recall completed or they (VW) wouldn’t “fund the deal”. Note I bought the car last week so this may be a new thing. Anyway, this explains why the dealer seemed very anxious for me to get this done :p

·
21 Posts
A similar recall happened in 2019 with VW

The headlights have screws to manually adjust the vertical and horizontal alignment, but the horizontal alignment is not allowed to be changed after the factory calibration in the US.
VW has caps for the adjustment screw in the parts catalog that is listed as being for NAR only (North American Region).

Just looked up my VIN and it is listed as being affected.
Took a picture of my passenger headlight, you can see the two yellow screws and the left one has a white cap on it.
I'm guessing the one with the cap is the vertical adjuster and they were supposed to put it on the other one which is the horizontal adjustment.

I don't think this has anything to do with AFS.
I'll try to get a video of the headlamps at startup to check for the horizontal motor function.

·
22 Posts
A similar recall happened in 2019 with VW

The headlights have screws to manually adjust the vertical and horizontal alignment, but the horizontal alignment is not allowed to be changed after the factory calibration in the US.
VW has caps for the adjustment screw in the parts catalog that is listed as being for NAR only (North American Region).

Just looked up my VIN and it is listed as being affected.
Took a picture of my passenger headlight, you can see the two yellow screws and the left one has a white cap on it.
I'm guessing the one with the cap is the vertical adjuster and they were supposed to put it on the other one which is the horizontal adjustment.

I don't think this has anything to do with AFS.
I'll try to get a video of the headlamps at startup to check for the horizontal motor function.

View attachment 3872
Well if the recall is literally putting a piece of plastic on a screw so I don’t turn it myself, I feel no urgency to get this taken care of. I’m sure they have to issue the recall to comply with the law, but c’mon. I’m going to ignore this until I need to take the car in for something else.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
397 Posts
Yep, my FE is listed as needing this recall as well (my VIN ends in 227xx, if that helps any theories about what point in production this was caught). I have to say, if the headlights would be stopped from moving horizontally while turning, I would deliberately not get this recall done because that feature is really great. But since it seems like it's just covering up a screw, it sounds like it would only affect access to the manual horizontal calibration adjustments, not the movement while turning.

@Huey52 I'm pretty sure our NAR cars still do physically turn the headlights, it's just that the matrix capability is disabled, which is the feature where you can leave auto high beams on and whenever it detects an oncoming car, it blots out a little spot around that car with the high beams staying lit up otherwise.

·
324 Posts
This article tries to claim (or insinuate) that our recalled headlights were also incorrectly aligned, at least with the title "Misadjusted Headlights Prompt 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Recall in the U.S."

Nothing in the actual VW recall notice says the headlights need to be re-adjusted so I suspect this is just the writer's misdirected take.

The article does say the recall affects 3,231 vehicles produced between December 15th, 2020 and March 30th, 2021.

If anyone does get the recall fix at the dealer, please note or ask if the headlight alignment was actually tweaked or the cap swap was the only change. I was thinking of swapping the caps myself since they just seem to slide out from the side.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
5 Posts
I just got a notice today about the recall for my FE.
Manufacturer Compliance Recall issued
NHTSA #21V413
Recall #94O6 HEADLIGHT CAPS - HORIZONTAL AIM
I'll just wait until my 30/60 day checkup.
Picked up my new FE just last week and not showing a recall for it, so maybe the dealer took care of it already. Will have to take a look based on the pics someone posted.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
151 Posts
Picked up my new FE just last week and not showing a recall for it, so maybe the dealer took care of it already. Will have to take a look based on the pics someone posted.
My FE does not have a recall notice either. Purchased ~3 weeks ago. Sounds like they caught the mistake before completing the manufacturing of all the FE's, or as you suggested, the dealer already made the correction.

·
58 Posts
I was thinking of swapping the caps myself since they just seem to slide out from the side.
I was thinking of doing it to mess with the dealer hoping they'd note the 'repair' and wouldn't mess with the headlights. The headlights seem very bright, and–to my surprise–I haven't been flashed yet.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts