Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an option to connect to an existing WiFi router (not create a hotspot). It can see the WiFi router in the house, but it can't connect to it (it complains about the security of the thing, but doesn't prompt for the WiFi password).

There may be a WPS capability - used in lieu of entering a password, I guess. I haven't tried this as of yet.

I guess the other question is how is this WiFi actually used? Is this how OTA is eventually obtains updates? Or is there some other functionality that having WiFi would enable? I kind of wanted to know how this would be useful before I spent much more time on it.

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
have you checked which version of WPA you are running? I believe WPA3 is being deployed and is running on many WiFi routers, but many devices are not capable. If you know where to look you may want to confirm that you are running WPA2.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you checked which version of WPA you are running? I believe WPA3 is being deployed and is running on many WiFi routers, but many devices are not capable. If you know where to look you may want to confirm that you are running WPA2.
In the car, there was an option to use WPS - I believe I need to push a button on the router to turn that on (for 2 minutes), then run back to the car, find the WiFi in the menu again, and retry connecting - all within 2 minutes. I think that's what I need to do...

But I am still curious as to exactly what functionality this enables.

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
In the car, there was an option to use WPS - I believe I need to push a button on the router to turn that on (for 2 minutes), then run back to the car, find the WiFi in the menu again, and retry connecting - all within 2 minutes. I think that's what I need to do...

But I am still curious as to exactly what functionality this enables.
That can totally work for sure. Some routers don't provide a button, but a software button switch to activate it. If it is a big hop from WAP to car you may want to coordinate with someone to be in the other place.

I also wonder what Wifi is intended to do for the car, other than updates and maybe local management. But the sky is the limit. You could use it with IFTTT to allow smart home features to run when the vehicle comes into or out of range. Maybe one day the car and your EVSE could share information perhaps optimizing charge schedule based on utility demand and actual state of charge. Maybe there could be a google assistant or Alexa skill that would allow you to check on your car or pre-condition it or other start up/shutdown procedures.

I was able to get the car to connect. I thought the CarNet App was using the wifi even though I heard CarNet only works with data.

This morning I had my phone connected to a different wifi network in my house that the car is not on to pre-heat the car and it would not work. When I changed it to the same network that the car is on, it worked.

I was able to get the car to connect. I thought the CarNet App was using the wifi even though I heard CarNet only works with data.

This morning I had my phone connected to a different wifi network in my house that the car is not on to pre-heat the car and it would not work. When I changed it to the same network that the car is on, it worked.
I wanted someone to clarify this for me and I haven't able to get a good answer. If car net app can talk to the car over wifi then the car should have it's wifi on even when it's off and the wifi client would be using the 12v battery and I don't think that would be such a good idea.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted someone to clarify this for me and I haven't able to get a good answer. If car net app can talk to the car over wifi then the car should have it's wifi on even when it's off and the wifi client would be using the 12v battery and I don't think that would be such a good idea.
Power draw for just that should be minimal. There is always some draw so it can sense the proximity of a key and someone touching the door lock.

Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
Power draw for just that should be minimal. There is always some draw so it can sense the proximity of a key and someone touching the door lock.
That's what I read about Tesla too. Modern connected cars are never quite off.
One would hope that after a certain period of inactivity the car goes into a deeper sleep and will only check periodically for network activity, or can be woken up by directed network traffic. And that there is a complete shutoff at low battery level. Time will tell.

ID.4 FE GW
You are correct - that is a bad idea, yet many makers do it. The Tesla ECU and the Toyota ECU in my RAV4EV put a lot of load on the 12V battery by sending data over their wireless modems. Toyota used a lead acid 12V battery in these cars, and they are typically shot after 2-3 years. AGM batteries are designed for deeper discharge and do better. The 12V AGM battery in my Chevy Volt was still OK when I replaced it after 6.5 years.

I wonder what 12V battery is used in the ID.4?

There are several things using the 12v battery when the car is off and locked. "Battery Life" did several U-tube video's detailing the issue on why the 12v battery was going dead in the ID.3's and what VW did to fix it. The car now monitors the 12v battery and if it gets below a certain value, the main battery will recharge it.

Reactions: theboomr

ID.4 FE Blue
I noticed that there are short periods of silence once in a while when using Apple Carplay to play music. Did anyone else experience that?

Reactions: amartko

Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
I noticed that there are short periods of silence once in a while when using Apple Carplay to play music. Did anyone else experience that?
I can鈥檛 speak for the ID.4, but I have wireless CarPlay in two of my vehicles and it鈥檚 far from flawless in both. I have experienced audio cutting out before, for seemingly no reason. Also, sometimes audio doesn鈥檛 work at all and I have to disconnect, and then reconnect, CarPlay. No matter, I prefer the built-in infotainment over CarPlay, anyway.

2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
I turned on the hotspot on my phone and I was able to connect the car to it, however, cannot connect to my router. Both the hotspot and my router are set up as WPA2-Personal.

My Hyundai Ioniq has wifi enable all the time. I can see it on my computer as a hidden network. In the Ioniq the wifi is used to communicate with the phone app - to start car, activate heat/AC, run general diagnostics, etc. In two years I have never noticed any issues with the 12v. battery running down. The Ioniq also communicates with Hyundai for service updates, because it knows exactly how many miles are on the odometer. But it never does any automatic software updates.

2021 First Edition
There is an option to connect to an existing WiFi router (not create a hotspot). It can see the WiFi router in the house, but it can't connect to it (it complains about the security of the thing, but doesn't prompt for the WiFi password).
I got the same security complaint and haven't done anything to resolve it beyond that.

Remind me - why does the car need to be connected to my router? Software updates? Something else?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the same security complaint and haven't done anything to resolve it beyond that.

Remind me - why does the car need to be connected to my router? Software updates? Something else?
I am kind of waiting to hear about how OTA is supposed to work when the 1st update comes out. Until then, I have back-burnered this.

Anybody got their car connect to their home wi-fi network.
Yes, it connected on the first try for me. Found my network in the list on the ID.4 screen, selected it and entered password, then it connected. I assume it's for checking for and downloading OTA updates faster.

VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
Yes. It shows up as VWINFOTAINMENT on my router admin page.
Same hostname for me when I connected it. With that said, connecting it to wifi doesn't seem all that useful right now. Traffic stats in my Unifi controller for that wireless client show only 600 KB of traffic in the one day I've had the wifi connection set up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts