Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have so many problems that VW either bought their car back or allow them to trade it in for another car (not an ID4)?

bought my car May 1st and next week I have my 4th appointment. I have a list of 10 different issues I have had and some of these issues have occurred 12+ times.

I have been in touch with customer care and they have been great. They said the regional manager is aware of my issues. But there comes a time when enough is enough.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
937 Posts
There are two forum members I'm aware of who got rid of their ID.4s. One came in with a plan to flip his, and the other had a falling out with VW. They were both a little souring the car, as well.

I'm pretty sure both sold private party. One had to buy out his lease.

Search for posts by thatbrian and excivillian.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two forum members I'm aware of who got rid of their ID.4s. One came in with a plan to flip his, and the other had a falling out with VW. They were both a little souring the car, as well.

I'm pretty sure both sold private party. One had to buy out his lease.

Search for posts by thatbrian and excivillian.
Thank you!

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear that has been your experience, what have been your 10 issues so far?
Things like child safety fault, car wouldn’t go in reverse, heater randomly turned on, drivers side rear door doesn’t unlock when the car is turned off, app connect not working, charged to a different % and miles everyday, travel assist not working, the list keeps going. I know it seems like a lot of little things but if this many little things have gone wrong in a couple months. I have owned a hybrid in the past and I had a lot of little things go wrong like this right after buying it. Then I ended up breaking down because the electrical froze and I needed a tow. I made over 12 service appointments the first 10 months of owning it. I don’t want to go through that again.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
701 Posts
Your last two are not unique to your car, maybe even the third last, and will hopefully be fixed with software updates. The beginning of your list, however, sounds like your car needs serious TLC from VW or the dealer.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your last two are not unique to your car, maybe even the third last, and will hopefully be fixed with software updates. The beginning of your list, however, sounds like your car needs serious TLC from VW or the dealer.
The last time I took my car in (about two weeks ago) they did a full reboot of my software and everything. Since then I have had things happen every other day it seems like.

Not sure what you mean by it’s not unique to my car. I’m sure this stuff could go wrong with any car. My concern is I’ve had this car 2.5 months and I have a list of things that are not working properly. Do I really need the travel assist or wireless charger, no. But that’s not the point. I bought a brand new car and would like it to work.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
The last time I took my car in (about two weeks ago) they did a full reboot of my software and everything. Since then I have had things happen every other day it seems like.

Not sure what you mean by it’s not unique to my car. I’m sure this stuff could go wrong with any car. My concern is I’ve had this car 2.5 months and I have a list of things that are not working properly. Do I really need the travel assist or wireless charger, no. But that’s not the point. I bought a brand new car and would like it to work.
Yeah, frustrating I am sure….Perhaps some of your items are isolated and definitely need to be addressed. I have ~6K miles and have had the car since mid-April with no major issues. Any hiccups have cleared themselves (most of the time through a deep sleep). Hoping they can get to the bottom of your car or you get the trade-in you want. Good luck.

·
53 Posts
With that many issues VW should be aware of
Lemon law in your state and take the car back accepting these problem given they are all demonstrable at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With that many issues VW should be aware of
Lemon law in your state and take the car back accepting these problem given they are all demonstrable at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have tried to claim lemon law in the past on a previous vehicle (long story). But in order for it to be claimed lemon law the exact same issue has to happen and the dealership has to have made 3 attempts to fix it within the first 12 months of owning a vehicle.

so yes it would be awesome if VW would help me out with this but to claim lemon law would be a battle.

·
66 Posts
As a general rule, the dealer and VW would prefer to do a buyback, as opposed to having the customer invoke lemon law. Once a car has been lemoned, its title will forever be branded as "LEMONED". I got Audi and the selling dealer to do a buyback on a Q5 plug-in hybrid with a serious problem nobody could figure out.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a general rule, the dealer and VW would prefer to do a buyback, as opposed to having the customer invoke lemon law. Once a car has been lemoned, its title will forever be branded as "LEMONED". I got Audi and the selling dealer to do a buyback on a Q5 plug-in hybrid with a serious problem nobody could figure out.
Couple questions for you. I know Audi is a different company but how much of a fight was it to get them to buy it back? How many issues or how many times if taking it in before you got to that point? Did they buy it back for a decent amount? We we upside down a bit when we bought it so I don’t want to be super upside down going into a new vehicle.

·
66 Posts
Couple questions for you. I know Audi is a different company but how much of a fight was it to get them to buy it back? How many issues or how many times if taking it in before you got to that point? Did they buy it back for a decent amount? We we upside down a bit when we bought it so I don’t want to be super upside down going into a new vehicle.
My experience may be unique but here's how it went down for me. Keep in mind the dealer is 100 miles away and there is no closer Audi dealer.

Bought a brand new Q5-e PHEV. From Day 1 it made a very loud humming-buzzing noise that was very audible in the cabin. The noise only occurred when it was thoroughly warmed up. I complained to the dealer, sent them a couple videos demonstrating the issue, and they agreed immediately that something was wrong.

Also the Audi Connect service refused to work. They mentioned they had 20-some other brand new cars on the lot with that problem.

Took it to dealer (100 miles away), left it there, was given a loaner. After 3+ weeks in the shop, with them consulting with Audi and shotgunning parts, they made no progress on either problem. They had no clue what to do next.

I drove the loaner up there to speak directly to the new car sales manager. I calmly but firmly made it clear that this was unacceptable, especially considering it's a 200 mile round trip for me to visit the dealer. I never said the words "lemon law" or anything like it, but I did state very firmly I wanted a different (new) car and that if we couldn't reach an agreement on this, I would take it to the next level. They said they would work something out with Audi, which takes a little time.

I made a point of not threatening to take my issue to social media. Purposely never brought it up. That's basically an empty threat in my opinion.

In a few days they informed me they would buy the vehicle back at full price and I could have another one. I actually got several thousand $$ back because we stepped down one trim level due to availability.

The replacement worked perfectly and I was a happy camper until I got the ID.4 itch.

Basically I would advise keeping your cool, appeal to reason and logic, but also make it clear you're not going to back down. Avoid saying "I'll hire a lemon law attorney if I have to" or anything like that until all options have been thoroughly exhausted and they still won't budge. If you say Attorney or Lemon, they'll probably stop talking to you at all. The last thing they want to have is a lemoned new car because even if it has only 300 miles on it like mine did, the "LEMON" brand on the title severely devalues the vehicle for them.

That's my story. Also document document document. Videos with audio and still photos are very important in a case like mine.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
430 Posts
My son had VW buy back a new Jetta last year. It had a turbo/power loss issue they could not fix, and as mentioned above, they bought it back to keep it from being lemon-lawed and the title stained. They started the buyback process when the car was at the dealer for the 3rd time for that problem and didn't take the chance of trying that third strike. Process was a little slow but relatively easy. They gave him what he paid for it including down payment and taxes and fees, and gave him a great deal on a new top of the line Passat. He got out of the Jetta and into the Passat for an even swap really. Again a little slow process but not too bad at all.

And can't echo @VW Dave enough, document document document and keep your cool.

Reactions: VW Dave

·
id.4 White FE
14 Posts
A friend had a FE for 2 months with a couple issues. Then after hearing about other owners mounting problems he sold his to a large nationwide used car dealer. He will come out a few hundred $ to the good once the rebate takes effect on his taxes next year. Now he owns a Y model. I'm considering the same. Mine is in the second dealers shop (for a total of 4 times and 21 days) in less than 2 months and 1500 miles. Parts (sensors behind rear bumper) are on order they say. Got me a Tiguan loaner on day 2 this time. Corporate customer care has been involved but I'm not sure that has helped much. In the '70s, my 1st 3 vehicles wereVWs - 2 Beetles and a Fastback sedan with the pancake engine. Those were the days!

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
A friend had a FE for 2 months with a couple issues. Then after hearing about other owners mounting problems he sold his to a large nationwide used car dealer. He will come out a few hundred $ to the good once the rebate takes effect on his taxes next year. Now he owns a Y model. I'm considering the same. Mine is in the second dealers shop (for a total of 4 times and 21 days) in less than 2 months and 1500 miles. Parts (sensors behind rear bumper) are on order they say. Got me a Tiguan loaner on day 2 this time. Corporate customer care has been involved but I'm not sure that has helped much. In the '70s, my 1st 3 vehicles wereVWs - 2 Beetles and a Fastback sedan with the pancake engine. Those were the days!
I'm sorry about your problems and hope that they are resolved satisfactorily soon, one way or another.
I agree with your perception of VW Customer Care. In my limited experience (ID.4 is my only VW; owned for 4 months now), they only call me to say either 1) take the car to the dealer; or 2) we don't know when that problem will be fixed.

·
28 Posts
You might be able to press VW / the dealership to get a trade assist. I don't know what the chances are, but that would get you out of the car and get you into another VW. It's not a perfect solution by any means. This car has so much potential, but there is an unfortunate amount of bugs for sure.

I did get a trade assist with my ID.4 being in a state that would require a long time for repair, but that was with help from my dealership. The letter that's specific to my case said that it was valid for basically any purchase / lease of a new or certified pre-owned VW. Your mileage may vary depending IF you can get the same treatment.

·
23 Posts
Anyone have so many problems that VW either bought their car back or allow them to trade it in for another car (not an ID4)?

bought my car May 1st and next week I have my 4th appointment. I have a list of 10 different issues I have had and some of these issues have occurred 12+ times.

I have been in touch with customer care and they have been great. They said the regional manager is aware of my issues. But there comes a time when enough is enough.
Carvana offered my $42,000 for mine. I’m selling it to them and I’m getting another one (pocketed the $7500 lease cash)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts