Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone succeeded adding a second phone to CarPlay?

I have successfully added one phone (iPhone 1) using CarPlay. It's buggy as hell, but 8/10 times I can successfully open Apple Maps or Waze. So far so good. I believe I added it by connecting it to USB and then select the phone in the CarPlay menu, but am not 100% sure.

When I want to add another iPhone to CarPlay (iPhone 2), it won't let me. I've connected the phone via USB, but the screen where I add phones does show iPhone 2, but I can only select bluetooth / handsfree, but there's no CarPlay icon. iPhone 2 was previously connected to as bluetooth / handsfree. Bluetooth and WiFi is on (but WiFi is not connected to the car).

What I expect is to be able to add multiple phones to the car using CarPlay, and that the car automatically connects to the first phone it detects that's on the list. I also expect to be able to override the default selection and select the specific phone from the list via the menu if the car detects the presence multiple phones on the list. Is this how CarPlay should work? If so, what am I doing wrong?

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
709 Posts
We have both our iPhones connected, and CarPlay works exactly as you expect. When we are both in the car, it is hit or miss which one connects.
I added the phones wirelessly via the CarPlay widget on the infotainment screen, and had them never connected any other way before. I’m not sure what you should do from where you’re at, but would start with making the car forget iPhone 2 and then add it via the CarPlay widget.

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the solution. In my case it was the iPhone that had CarPlay disabled. I noticed there wasn’t a CarPlay option in Settings -> General on iPhone 2.

in order to enable CarPlay, you have to 1) enable Siri (Settings -> Siri & Search -> Press Side Button for Siri) and enable CarPlay in Screen Time (Settings -> Screen Time -> App Limits -> Content & Privacy Restrictions -> Allowed Apps -> CarPlay). The last setting was off is my case. It should be on by default but in my case it wasn’t.

Once that’s done, you can add the phone using the ID.4 menu.

The car does seem to connect to the first phone added by default in case it detect multiple phones. To switch phones, go to the Telephone menu, and select the drop down menu in the top right corner. And… you’ll notice that that doesn’t do anything. Shit. I need to figure out how to switch phones, but other than that it works

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Switching phones is through the Phones menu in the car (Telephone -> Settings -> Select cell phone). A bit more complicated that I wanted but doable.

If you see a black screen, you might need to unplug and plug the phone in. That seems to work

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
215 Posts
My wife and I use a more streamlined method of switching phones. In your CarPlay apps list is a VW app, tap it and this takes you to the Phones menu mentioned above. We just tap the phone we want it to connect to and it works. Bear in mind it will maintain a connection to both phones, so while one does the CarPlay duty, the other is connected via Bluetooth. This means calls coming in to both phones can be answered by the infotainment system.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
963 Posts
When we are both in the car, it is hit or miss which one connects.
Same with Android Auto. This works be another excellent use of assigned driver keys, so the driver side keyholder is linked to their phone. But I also find it's easy enough to select the preferred phone on the screen that pops up when the connection is made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts