Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
23 Posts
The HUD is a cool feature but isn’t it exactly the same information that’s on the instrument panel mounted on the steering wheel column?

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but to me it's worth it especially in low light conditions or heavy rain like it does quiet often in Seattle when your eyes are focused on the road traffic in front of your vehicle rather than having to glance down a little bit or slightly to the right to the infotainment screen. The orange horizontal line color warning if you're getting close behind vehicle in front or if someone starts to merge in too close, the vertical orange line if you're drifting across the center line, the Navi directions especially the blue turn indicator that appears right before come up to a turn and fades away after you enter that turn. With OTA updates, I'm sure they can probably add more information to the HUD in the future.

·
258 Posts
Yes but to me it's worth it especially in low light conditions or heavy rain like it does quiet often in Seattle when your eyes are focused on the road traffic in front of your vehicle rather than having to glance down a little bit or slightly to the right to the infotainment screen. The orange horizontal line color warning if you're getting close behind vehicle in front or if someone starts to merge in too close, the vertical orange line if you're drifting across the center line, the Navi directions especially the blue turn indicator that appears right before come up to a turn and fades away after you enter that turn. With OTA updates, I'm sure they can probably add more information to the HUD in the future.
I'm sure they could add more features to the HUD in the future, if HUD was installed in the first place. It doesn't look like the US will be getting any HUD hardware installed.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure they could add more features to the HUD in the future, if HUD was installed in the first place. It doesn't look like the US will be getting any HUD hardware installed.
Yeah, the demo tour Rep confirmed no AR HUD in US vehicles but I still provided feedback that I'd like to see it as dealer installed option.

·
258 Posts
Yeah, the demo tour Rep confirmed no AR HUD in US vehicles but I still provided feedback that I'd like to see it as dealer installed option.
I would like to have HUD, although I find it is about useless during the day if you are wearing sunglasses. To have it as a dealer installed option, I believe the dealer would need to install a new dash top piece. I don't know of ANY VW dealer I would trust to rip the dash that far apart.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to have HUD, although I find it is about useless during the day if you are wearing sunglasses. To have it as a dealer installed option, I believe the dealer would need to install a new dash top piece. I don't know of ANY VW dealer I would trust to rip the dash that far apart.
I forgot to take a look at the dash area where the AR HUD would've been installed as we were a little rushed during our demo tour to see if there was a knockout or blank slot that might be where the HUD would insert into. During daytime driving, it is not really needed as we'd have good visibility far in front unless it was foggy. Still looks nice as in the videos from VW and if dealer installed, it should be under good warranty compared to letting a stereo shop install.

·
57 Posts
I just watched a video of the HUD in actual use. I gotta say It looks like its kinda distracting actually. I was originally very excited about it, but it feels less so now. I don't think this is being sour grapesish either. I agree making it an option is a better bet than hamstringing the system to make a better pricepoint/margin. Let the market determine what options are better valued in future models.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, making it an option to add-on AR HUD and heat pump can increase revenue for VW. Agree that it doesn't do much during daytime driving but it's more helpful in low light conditions/fog/night time driving. Wife would take AR HUD in a heartbeat over things like 30-color adjustable ambient interior lighting, Illuminated front Volkswagen logo; illuminated front light bar, Perforation in seats, etc in the Statement pkg.

As an fyi, they have such a package for Skoda Enyaq and it's called the "Infotainment Plus Package" for £725 which includes both AR HUD + Navigation. So possibly ~£350 for AR HUD if assuming 50% of that pkg cost. They can repurpose that package for US:)

·
37 Posts
I just watched a video of the HUD in actual use. I gotta say It looks like its kinda distracting actually. I was originally very excited about it, but it feels less so now. I don't think this is being sour grapesish either. I agree making it an option is a better bet than hamstringing the system to make a better pricepoint/margin. Let the market determine what options are better valued in future models.

I don't think it sounds like sour grapes at all. I think the HUD looks neat, but not neat enough for me to pay to have it. And then since it's basically a projector through a horizontal plate of glass onto the windshield, I'd be concerned about keeping that clean so it doesn't scatter light, or look terrible, etc. Sometimes I think we get caught up in the excitement & desire to have something just because it exists or someone else has it, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily worth having.

VWoA obviously made some decisions that have made some people unhappy, but that was always going to be the case no matter which balance of options, price, etc., that they settled on. It's fine to disagree with those decisions, but instead of focusing on what other regions got, it should still boil down to whether the model as specified in the US is attractive at the price vs other options which are actually available to us. For me, the ID.4 is still at the top of that list.

·
21 Posts
I thought that the size of the projected information (other than the arrows, etc) was too small. I'd just as soon look at the display between the wheels.

·
40 Posts
At least we should be happy that VW didn’t ship cars to this country with a winter only HUD that projects an image of the phantom heat pump we can’t have.

·
66 Posts
I don't think it sounds like sour grapes at all. I think the HUD looks neat, but not neat enough for me to pay to have it. And then since it's basically a projector through a horizontal plate of glass onto the windshield, I'd be concerned about keeping that clean so it doesn't scatter light, or look terrible, etc. Sometimes I think we get caught up in the excitement & desire to have something just because it exists or someone else has it, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily worth having.

VWoA obviously made some decisions that have made some people unhappy, but that was always going to be the case no matter which balance of options, price, etc., that they settled on. It's fine to disagree with those decisions, but instead of focusing on what other regions got, it should still boil down to whether the model as specified in the US is attractive at the price vs other options which are actually available to us. For me, the ID.4 is still at the top of that list.
I don't disagree that the ID4 is competitively priced and different features regionally are understandable. What bothers me is VW for months advertised innovative features particular to their ID line (AR heads up display, low temperature heat pump) that they never specified wouldn't be available in the US even as an option package. The car in base trim is already compelling however it irks me that we are not seeing the best effort product from VW in the US.

·
157 Posts
My wife's car has HUD and she wouldn't be without it. Mine doesn't and I do not lust for it for around town use, but I do like it for highway use to display speed/cruise control status/speed limit. As my ID.4 will be a local grocery getter, I won't miss it. Heat pump is a nice to have but not a necessary thing for Houston and local use only--as is AWD. I would like to have surround-view. But what I really like about the ID.4 is it's price. So, I like the idea of a "Base" model to which things can be added as options--particularly if they are a la carte. Unfortunately, all too often they are all "grouped" in something like a technology package which is all or nothing.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My wife's car has HUD and she wouldn't be without it. Mine doesn't and I do not lust for it for around town use, but I do like it for highway use to display speed/cruise control status/speed limit. As my ID.4 will be a local grocery getter, I won't miss it. Heat pump is a nice to have but not a necessary thing for Houston and local use only--as is AWD. I would like to have surround-view. But what I really like about the ID.4 is it's price. So, I like the idea of a "Base" model to which things can be added as options--particularly if they are a la carte. Unfortunately, all too often they are all "grouped" in something like a technology package which is all or nothing.
My wife is same way and really wants the AR HUD in her 1st BEV but it's not going to be possible should we go with ID.4. Since Skoda has an "Infotainment Plus Package" as option on top of base trim, you'd think VW would want to monetize that as it'd be exact same hardware for it's peer the ID.4. I understand the grouped Statement and Gradient packages for the majority of new buyers but at least have this as an accessory that we can order from VW, It won't be as invasive an install as a "heat pump" as I'm guessing wiring harness probably is already there under the dash.

·
37 Posts
I don't disagree that the ID4 is competitively priced and different features regionally are understandable. What bothers me is VW for months advertised innovative features particular to their ID line (AR heads up display, low temperature heat pump) that they never specified wouldn't be available in the US even as an option package. The car in base trim is already compelling however it irks me that we are not seeing the best effort product from VW in the US.
The communication has been terrible. I'm not convinced it's not a best effort, though. Pragmatically, "best" can be quite constrained by cost (HUD, heat pump), quality (some component not ready for the real world), regulations (matrix LED headlights), and what they're trying to achieve. Given the constraints they have, perhaps this is the best effort currently to achieve the goals they have, and it can also be true that maybe it's possible to improve with US production, tech maturation, regulatory change, etc.

Remember, forum members are more likely to be enthusiasts, and therefore may not be indicative of the broad market VW is trying to reach. For every page of comments about the lack of 360 camera, HUD, heat pump, matrix headlights, an extra inch of storage, or the lack of a yellow option, VW is trying to entice tens of thousands of people who may not even ever think about those things.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
349 Posts
Remember, forum members are more likely to be enthusiasts, and therefore may not be indicative of the broad market VW is trying to reach. For every page of comments about the lack of 360 camera, HUD, heat pump, matrix headlights, an extra inch of storage, or the lack of a yellow option, VW is trying to entice tens of thousands of people who may not even ever think about those things.
Add to that, the complexity of a group of brands trying to maintain a clear delineation between them. Even with the illuminated logo in the 1st Edition, there's not been anything shown in US-specific media that will not be present in the range of ID.4 packages.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts