Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Are there any owners who have had no issues with their ID.4?

27K views 197 replies 92 participants last post by  Huey52 
#1 ·
Like nothing to complain about. Just enjoying the car. No screen freezing, no bunch of errors in the screen that clear after a reboot, no inability to move the car from park, no mechanical issues, etc. Anyone experiencing a car that "just works?"

Not talking about things you would like to be different/better, just a "no glitches" experience.

Thanks!

#123 · (Edited)
Ten days away from one year and about 17,500 miles. No major issues other than being a Beta tester with no compensation. Love the car. Great on short and long trips. Truly a wonderful world car. Hoping for an ID. Buzz in two years and ten days. $29 to charge at home last month for about 1,200 miles of driving. Yes, I am a VW fanboy once again.
First new car was a '65 Beetle then, in order, 1973 Squareback, 1983 9 passenger Vanagon, 1982 Rabbit (my first and only used car). Lots of other vehicles in between and since but the ID.4 is a fantastic car, so far.

#131 ·
Yes, there is a "standard" steering column start/stop button, but rarely needed as the driver's seat weight-on-switch circuitry starts the vehicle in most cases. Of course you must have your key fob on you.

Recently after pulling into the garage and putting into Park my wife went to open the passenger window and couldn't, but I quickly hit the start button so not heard a discouraging word ... and the skies were not cloudy all day. ;)

#132 · (Edited)
I've had my AWD Pro S for a bit over 2 months and a bit over 2000 miles. I haven't encountered anything yet that I would call a problem, other than scheduled charging being a complete fail (but I expected that based on reports in this forum).

There are some things that I'd characterize as design annoyances or even design flaws, though — like the inside driver's side door controls being very "touchy" (esp the door locking and child lock buttons) and the headlight controls on the left side of the dashboard having a weird layout and being too close to the defroster controls, which makes it more difficult than it should be to select a desired option from either set of controls when driving. By now, I'm used to the temp and volume controls having no backlight at night, and I just select by feel at this point, but I agree with most people's assessment that backlighting these controls would've been a much better design choice; for me, though, it's not really a big deal.

Probably the thing that drives me the most crazy in the general design of the infotainment is the lack of charging and battery data and how that data is presented, and there being no "advanced" mode for this data or the ability to download it for our own use. For example, for whatever weird reason, VW's EV UI designers seem to have a genuine aversion to showing the battery state of charge as a percentage; they make you drill down through like 3 menus to get to it, and it's not available on any of the infotainment "Vehicle" tiles (it's the same in my 4-year old e-Golf: there's nowhere you can actually see the battery SoC as a numeric percentage in the entire vehicle). Just show me the SoC as a percentage all the time on the instrument panel — I hate the guessing game of seeing a vague battery gauge next to an even more vague and constantly fluctuating guesstimate of remaining range in miles. If I know the actual percentage SoC as a number, I'm capable of doing some simple math in my head about the probable range of the vehicle in given conditions.

Also, I don't know why they thought that the only relevant measure of charging rate when the car is charging should be in "miles" rather in electrons (kW). I know it's supposed to be a "car for the millions" and a "people's car," so the designers are trying to design for the lowest common denominator, but it's confusing (esp to EV newbs) and leads many people who are inexperienced with EVs to think that the number of miles are simply baked into the car rather than being a general guesstimate of range, which in turn leads to many panicked posts on forums like these from new users who think that, because the range estimate displayed is lower that the stated EV range, there must be something horribly defective with their battery.

But honestly, these are mostly quibbles, and most can actually be fixed in software if VW wants to fix them. It's still a great car, and the best car I've ever owned by a long shot.

#140 ·
The story as I've come to know it goes like this: VW thought their best shot at getting a product to market was to use a collection of existing technologies -- the various modules and code that run the car -- and wrap them in to this new MEB platform. It was supposed to save time so they could beat Ford, Hyundai, Volvo, etc. who were all working on $40k EVs.

They nailed the design timeline, the retrofitting of the assembly plant, battery suppliers, manufacturing... but ran into roadblocks with the software. The ID.3 launch was delayed months awaiting functioning software. The ID.4 was launched in Europe with buggy 2.0 software, and the US launch saw cars sitting at port awaiting 2.1.

VW's problem wasn't just integration, i.e. getting existing tech ICAS to talk to new-tech BMS modules. It was also coming up against intellectual property concerns. Mid stream, VW decided the best way to proceed for the future of the company was fold much of their contracted software into an in-house development. Their software arm, Cariad, formed small offshoot companies with their main supplies, Continental and Bosch, to take the existing code and develop into a VW-controlled product.

The Continental venture took place early on, I recall around the time of the ID.3 launch. But the Bosch deal appeared to happen later, and according to I believe Diess on stage at a event in the last month or two, he spoke as if they had only just recently secured the remainder of the IP they needed to make this transition. So this was more than just will -- it was contracts and lawyers and money and negotiations.

Meanwhile, owning somebody else's software isn't enough, a team is needed to understand and transition it, and VW's been hiring software engineers like crazy to make software an equal 3rd pillar of their organization. I can only imagine that these thousands of employees aren't all focused on adapting old code to the MEB platform. VW is looking towards launching their successor SSP platform in the next four years, and that one will be more of a ground up venture.

It would be nice is MEB was a ground-up product, but it's not, and it would have been at least two years delayed had they started software from scratch. They can't just nuke what's out there with over 200,000 MEB cars already on the roads, and I doubt VW will never take the Tesla approach of just pushing rushed code to their cars.

Whatever they're up against now must be serious. I expected 3.0 to happen with the model year change, which itself was uncharacteristically pushed back to the final weeks of December. No 2022s have been delivered to the US yet that we know of, and the ones in Europe are still running 2.3 (their latest coder; the US is still 2.1). 3.0 must have had a dealbreaker in it because now we're waiting for 3.1, which sounded final two months ago, but has yet to show itself. Heck, even the ID. BUZZ demo fleet was running either on 2.3/2.4, or on a preview version of 3.0 that was kept hidden from the cameras recording the test drives.

So take this as me making excuses for VW if you will, but I'm convinced they are really in a tough patch at the moment, of their making of course but nevertheless in a place they'd rather not be, and they desperately need to get 3dotwhatever software rolled out so they can get this MEB platform and the promised OTA updated on track. They're going to be reliant on this platform for the next four years, so they need to get us all squared away if they want to compete and sell cars. I have no doubt they're working hard, if not for our sake, for their own.

#143 ·
Well this brings up the question as to just why a little technical honesty like this is not forthcoming from VW. If what you say here is true, and we have no reason to question the veracity of it, then a fix to most of the issues we are dealing with should be installable soon. From your mouth to VWs ears.[/QUOTE]

#144 ·
Well this brings up the question as to just why a little technical honesty like this is not forthcoming from VW. If what you say here is true, and we have no reason to question the veracity of it, then a fix to most of the issues we are dealing with should be installable soon. From your mouth to VWs ears.
Communicate, Communicate, Communicate.

If there's one thing that most members of this forum seen to agree on, VoA's communication had been abismal.

If I have my facts correct, or mostly correct, VW has a really compelling story. Their software shortcomings would probably be excused, and they might even excite a rah-rah fan base who gets behind their underdog status.

Instead, they hide their difficulties, thinking they'll look weak or unprepared (some truth to that, I admit). But by saying nothing, they fan the spread of rumors and look incompetent (which I don't believe they are).

It's no secret I'm behind them on this... on seeing them bring software in house. The car, to me, is fine, and I want a solid update, not something rushed, buggy, and half-assed. That's how I'm looking at 2.3. just a patch that doesn't really accomplish anything.

Scheduled charging... that's a biggie to many. Honesty on the window sticker is the only option for this. It's inexcusable they pretend like this isn't a problem and catch so many new owners by surprise.

#146 ·
I also get the feeling that VoA is stuck in the untenable position of middleman in this venture. My sense is they aren't "hands on" with software, they can't speak out-of-turn with deference to the mothership, any commitments they make are twice removed from reality (since they're not manufacturing the cars stateside, they're not loading them on ships, and because the software is via a subsidiary of VW AG). So anything they commit to they can't back up, unless they have possession of the vehicle or the software. Therefore they don't tell the dealers jack and they don't tell us owners squat, lest the make what's construed as a "promise" they end up breaking (which, frankly, would have happened a few times over the way this software development seems to be going).

I'm sure this scenario as I've imagined it isn't completely accurate, but it sure feels that way. They started out great. Dustin Krause was really communicative on Facebook. There was lots of US media outreach. But lately they've circled the wagons. I wonder if they're legitimately worried about looking terrible or getting sued.

#147 ·
I also get the feeling that VoA is stuck in the untenable position of middleman in this venture. My sense I wonder if they're legitimately worried about looking terrible or getting sued.
I'm not a lawyer, but from my point of view (and I'm not by nature a negative person or a cynic), by not fixing the scheduled charging feature in a timely way VW is setting itself up to be sued or to be sanctioned by the FTC for false advertising. When someone selling something says it has a feature, and that feature is completely non-functional, and they continue to advertise the feature knowing that it's non-functional, they are opening themselves up to the accusation that they are being intentionally deceptive to mislead consumers. In other words, unless this fix comes soon, there's at least some possibility that things could get ugly from a legal standpoint, at least regarding this issue. I hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The thing is, I've been working in the software industry for a long time, and I know the software development process is not easy on this scale and with hardware this complex, esp when you throw flaky dealership service departments and flaky cellular networks into the mix. But scheduled charging for EVs is a solved problem from a software standpoint for every other EV maker. I just don't understand what's holding VW back from just fixing this one issue, if nothing else.

#163 ·
And yet you did. 🤷‍♂️

No one said you had to stop posting anyway. Again rather simply my btw that this was the "no issues" thread.

Certainly not a "fanboy" site as we point out issues daily. In myCase myVW is still showing an old SOC ... but I reserve further comment for that deservedly well worn forum section.
As an Apple guy almost from their beginning I'll conversely take this site having "an Apple kinda feel" as a compliment. ;)

Time will tell, so far two more blank screens and literally had to exit, lock, then unlock to fix since my last post. I'm done venting, this seems more a fanboy site to me and has an apple kinda feel. We do love the car, just not the warts.

#154 · (Edited)
Are you talking about "Issue needs to be fixed" or any occasion of an issue even if it goes away by itself?

If it's the former, I haven't seen any in my 5 days of ownership. If it's the latter, I've seen a few stutters, but all went by itself quickly. And I kinda noticed that any of these glitches happens when I didn't wait enough time for the car to boot up fully. I had this same issue on my other 2 cars as well, although their booting time is much shorter. But if I go into reverse right after starting the F150, it won't show the guideline in the backup camera view sometimes. The warning sign took the longest time to be gone was the one meant for "Front Assist is starting up" based on the manual.

And I haven't had any car in the past that never had the latter happen. I had a total system freeze on Focus ST that lasted 8 months before Ford found a fix (killed by Steve Jobs' emojicon), and I killed the central system of my F150 when trying to update on the thumb drive and the dealer had to replace the whole center control system.

#155 ·
I've had my Pro (base model, RWD) for over 10 months now, and have put almost 10,000 miles on it. Both my wife and I are in love - it's just so convenient to not have oil changes or fluid changes or warm up times. Long distance travels have been fine; we have a six year old so stops every hour or two are necessary anyway, and we have not once been made to wait longer than we wanted to to charge up the battery.
Yes, the infotainment is slow. But that's fine with me! I was raised in old VW busses and Beetles, and talk about slow... I don't know, maybe I don't expect enough out of a new car, but as a lifelong auto enthusiast, I can confidently say this is the best family car we've ever owned.

#160 · (Edited)
I would like to say I’ve had no big issues, but at about 500 miles and a couple weeks a slew of errors popped up and the heater quit working.
45ºf air blowing is pretty darn cold- turning off the climate can have the windows fogging. Three weeks out to a service.
Other than that it has been been good. A few things I don’t like and slowly figuring workarounds. But mostly I like it.

I know things like the electric heater are most likely to fail with very few hours, or many many hours.
I just hope it doesn’t take forever to get a replacement (assuming it needs something, which it appears from errors).

edit:
opps, I realized this was ‘No Issues’ thread- I should have kept my mouth shut on this one.
But for me, not a huge complaint since I know things break.

#161 ·
I have had the AWD for about 6 months now. 2500 miles. Has been in the shop 3 times for days and they have replaced the gateway module trying to resolve the numerous issues with the car. 3 times it would not move, just stuck in P. Have seen around 20 different error messages show up. The CarNet service comes and goes (4g indicator completely disappears). Have lost all instrument information other than speed (range, charge level, ...). The list goes on and on. Have started talking about a potential buy-back.

#162 ·
I've owned mine for 2 months as of today. 2,000 miles. The only issue I've had is the backup camera showing a black screen twice. It's happened when I jumped in the car and immediately backed up. I've never rebooted infotainment screen ever. I also haven't noticed annoying lag. Admittedly I've only used car nav a couple of times; Apple/Google/Waze through CarPlay is so much better.

#165 ·
Has VW fixed the infotainment lag issues yet? I put down a deposit, but all the reviews I’ve read and watched have mentioned horrible lag when trying to swipe through menus and just an insane number of software bugs.

I’m just hoping it was preproduction or first-year glitches that have been resolved with newer models

#166 ·
Turning off the secondary page-screen Nav makes a big difference even with our USA current v2.1/0792 software. I use my main Nav page every drive with no complaints.

Reviewers often just parrot each other (most of these complaints from the ID.3's earlier code). It's not as "laggy" as they would have you believe.

Anyway, by the time you get your ID.4 there should be the much improved v3.1+ code.

btw: Did you bother to read any of this thread? You'll find most have very few software "gremlins", myself included. I do let my ID.4 fully boot before setting out, much as you would a PC before operating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.