Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having issues with audio delay and intermittent cuts? When I’m playing music thru Apple Carplay while connected thru Bluetooth, seems like there’s a sound delay of about 2-3 seconds. It also cuts off every few minutes or so intermittently.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
130 Posts
Anyone having issues with audio delay and intermittent cuts? When I’m playing music thru Apple Carplay while connected thru Bluetooth, seems like there’s a sound delay of about 2-3 seconds. It also cuts off every few minutes or so intermittently.
Yup, same here…But since Bluetooth is only used for initial connection and WiFi is used for continued CarPlay, I suspect there is some type of Internet activity occurring causing the ”skip.” I am waiting to see if when my free trial of Verizon Internet access ends if it continues. I suspect this as I DO NOT experience the same skips when connected with a USB-C cable. But that is just my thoughts so far….Hopefully we come up with a solution because it is annoying and it is so much more convenient to connect wirelessly.

·
16 Posts
When you have problems with the radio system the control unit is known as the 5F in the euro market. Unsure if it is the same name in the US. The first thing to do is to make sure no 3rd party items are plugged in such as charging cables and USB sticks. If the problem continues to happen try using as hard wired connection for apple car play to see if it fixes it. Also try and restart your phone to see if it makes any difference.

If after all of this, it still isn't working correctly. It will need to go to the dealership to be looked into. They may carry out some software configurations on the control unit also see if there are any software updates available for it.

If nothing comes from the feedback from the diagnosic equipment they may carry out a technical enquiry (Advanced help).

·
Dusk Blue FE
94 Posts
I had the CarPlay skipping problem and it was getting annoying -- a skip every few minutes, which means (approximately) one skip in each song. Elsewhere on the forum (the thread cited by Bubbajet) I saw the suggestion to switch from wireless CarPlay to wired CarPlay, via the USB port. At first, it didn't work because, even after my iPhone was plugged in, the music was still transmitted via Bluetooth. I had to go into the iPhone's Settings, Bluetooth, find the ID4, touch the info icon, then turn off CarPlay.

This works. No more skips and, to my untrained ear, the music also sounds a bit better. But it is a PITA because I had just gotten used to being able to leave my phone in my pocket and, when I have to plug it in, I am prone to forgetting it when I leave the car.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
Thanks very much Chris. As I mentioned [oddly] in the "things we like" thread [now deleted in favor of this thread] there have been similar complaints of CarPlay-iPhone dropout in many VAG models, most recently a 2019 Tiguan I referenced. Oh course frequent iOS updates always seem to solve one issue but create another. And as we know manufacturers lock into infotainment design well before production. Thankfully with now more common OTA firmware upgrades many items can be brought back to parity (we keep saying that and hoping it to be true).

btw: I've now stickied this thread to hopefully encompass all audio issues going forward.
When you have problems with the radio system the control unit is known as the 5F in the euro market. Unsure if it is the same name in the US. The first thing to do is to make sure no 3rd party items are plugged in such as charging cables and USB sticks. If the problem continues to happen try using as hard wired connection for apple car play to see if it fixes it. Also try and restart your phone to see if it makes any difference.

If after all of this, it still isn't working correctly. It will need to go to the dealership to be looked into. They may carry out some software configurations on the control unit also see if there are any software updates available for it.

If nothing comes from the feedback from the diagnosic equipment they may carry out a technical enquiry (Advanced help).

·
Black ID.4 First Edition
11 Posts
Piling on. I'm glad I'm not alone. I definitely experience the intermittent blips/skips when using wireless CarPlay. Yes, you can avoid the issue by using wired CarPlay. But what's the fun in that? I like wireless CarPlay and I expect it to work.

Just as Perfesser mentioned, if you have had wireless working, and you want to switch to wired, there are extra steps to getting yourself truly disconnected from wireless, because it's now using WiFi to the car to transmit (not Bluetooth -- Bluetooth is used to handshake the initial connection).

I was basically planning to give VW one OTA update to see if it's fixed, otherwise I'll need to take it to the dealer... this is not an issue I'd be willing to tolerate long-term.

Phone is an iPhone 12 Pro.

·
130 Posts
Piling on. I'm glad I'm not alone. I definitely experience the intermittent blips/skips when using wireless CarPlay. Yes, you can avoid the issue by using wired CarPlay. But what's the fun in that? I like wireless CarPlay and I expect it to work.

Just as Perfesser mentioned, if you have had wireless working, and you want to switch to wired, there are extra steps to getting yourself truly disconnected from wireless, because it's now using WiFi to the car to transmit (not Bluetooth -- Bluetooth is used to handshake the initial connection).

I was basically planning to give VW one OTA update to see if it's fixed, otherwise I'll need to take it to the dealer... this is not an issue I'd be willing to tolerate long-term.

Phone is an iPhone 12 Pro.
Same experience here. Wired = no issues. Wireless = skipping. I have reverted to using Sirius XM and CarPlay only for navigation and messaging.

·
534 Posts
If you google "carplay skipping" you get a huge number of hits, and its occurring on all brands of cars, and about once per song. For many it was happening even with wired carplay, so at least VW has solved that part. This points to a bigger carplay problem.

Reactions: PandaZ

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
How many of you with audio drop outs tried connecting the car to WiFi in your home?

·
130 Posts
How many of you with audio drop outs tried connecting the car to WiFi in your home?
I connected to WiFi to my home Internet (500Mbps down) and it didn’t help the drop outs. I even turned WiFi in the car off, figuring it might have been doing too much, that didn’t help either.

·
461 Posts
There is a theory that enabling wifi scanning is causing the dropouts. or at least causing them to be more prevalent. Once I get my car back from ceramic coating today I am going to test it out myself. Because I swear, before trying to connect to my home wifi, wireless Carplay was pretty good.

Reactions: Rigbyfab4

·
130 Posts
There is a theory that enabling wifi scanning is causing the dropouts. or at least causing them to be more prevalent. Once I get my car back from ceramic coating today I am going to test it out myself. Because I swear, before trying to connect to my home wifi, wireless Carplay was pretty good.
Turning off WiFi scanning did not fix anything with my drop outs. I ran out yesterday to check when I read that - but bam! Drop outs were the same….Sounded like a good theory.

·
461 Posts
Turning off WiFi scanning did not fix anything with my drop outs. I ran out yesterday to check when I read that - but bam! Drop outs were the same….Sounded like a good theory.
Interesting. I just tested that myself and it worked like a charm. Home -> Settings->Wifi->WIFI->Scan for WiFi (off), (I think). It certainly got rid of every dropout we had, but now the car is not connecting to my home wifi. I'll submit a report to VW Customer care.

·
130 Posts
Interesting. I just tested that myself and it worked like a charm. Home -> Settings->Wifi->WIFI->Scan for WiFi (off), (I think). It certainly got rid of every dropout we had, but now the car is not connecting to my home wifi. I'll submit a report to VW Customer care.
It won’t be connected, you turned it (WiFi) off…. Yeah, I definitely still get drop outs. Maybe it depends on the phone, version of O/S, etc…. So many variables. The only thing that worked for me definitively was moving to the USB-cable.

·
461 Posts
It won’t be connected, you turned it (WiFi) off…. Yeah, I definitely still get drop outs. Maybe it depends on the phone, version of O/S, etc…. So many variables. The only thing that worked for me definitively was moving to the USB-cable.
So you turned WiFi off on your phone or the car? Cause I turned off WiFi scanning on the car, not the phone. I am running ios 14.5.1 on an 11 pro

·
130 Posts
So you turned WiFi off on your phone or the car? Cause I turned off WiFi scanning on the car, not the phone. I am running ios 14.5.1 on an 11 pro
I turned WiFi scanning off (so it stops trying to look for a network) on the car. I left my phone (iPhone 12 Pro, latest iOS - 14.5.1) alone (in other words, connected to the Internet via 5G). This all beings said, I see that there are tons of problems with audio skipping with all sorts of other cars, so I am not sure it is a VW thing. Whose ever thing it is, it is annoying - but like I said, with wired, I can hear uninterrupted music, podcasts and books. I am still going to monitor this thread and see what has worked for others and try out those configurations, as something is bound to work.

Thanks for reporting your success though. What works for one will likely work for others.

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
162 Posts
Subaru Carplay users have reported similar skips and drop outs. If someone had an Apple Watch and an Iphone, one solution was to put the watch in airplane mode.

I was going to upgrade my Iphone 7 .... but might wait a bit since no issues!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts