Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello newe reservee here for ProS AWD. I am wondering if there is an audio in jack for the media player. I still love my CD's .:)

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
173 Posts
Time to buy an audiojack with bluetooth, because beside the 2 usb c's at the front there is nothing.

Worth nothing you can put music on your USB-C drivers and the system will play them, but there is no way to passthrough the audio with USB-C

·
108 Posts
Time to buy an audiojack with bluetooth, because beside the 2 usb c's at the front there is nothing.

Worth nothing you can put music on your USB-C drivers and the system will play them, but there is no way to passthrough the audio with USB-C
For us USB challenged folks, what does this mean? I moved my music to USB's for my existing vehicle and don't have a clue about it being -C or otherwise. What do you mean by "passthrough"?

·
Proud FE owner
970 Posts
For us USB challenged folks, what does this mean? I moved my music to USB's for my existing vehicle and don't have a clue about it being -C or otherwise. What do you mean by "passthrough"?
I think he's stating that you couldn't use the USB-C as an aux input. Sounds like the ID.4 will recognize the media on a USB-C device (e.g. thumb drive) and make it accessible to the infotainment system.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
173 Posts
I think he's stating that you couldn't use the USB-C as an aux input. Sounds like the ID.4 will recognize the media on a USB-C device (e.g. thumb drive) and make it accessible to the infotainment system.
This.

USB A to USB C adapter should work too.(untested yet)

·
2017 Chevrolet Bolt, 1994 Nissan 300ZX
27 Posts
As far as USB-C goes that refers to the connector (And speed and power levels available at the connector) e.g. My current car has USB-A ports (almost certainly what you have as well). USB-C is a different port physically. You will need to either purchase an (inexpensive) USB A/C adapter to use your current thumb drives or move to newer USB-C thumb drives

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
I purchased the USB-C to USB-C adapters from Amazon on Cyber Monday. 2-pack for $7. The issue will be if the infotainment recognized the plug as an input device. I would hope so. I primarily bought the adapters for rear passengers, in case they need to charge their phone.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,197 Posts
Time (and technology) waits for no man (or woman). Ol' school audio-in jack has pretty much gone the way of the Dodo, but then it had a very long run. And so has USB A, although only recently (my 2016 Audi has -A).

You're buying a state of the art EV so some/a lot of adjustment is to be expected.

For we visual learners here's the cited USB A - C adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYTHCX...&pd_rd_r=9b0520e3-952d-437a-821a-4f62f6fa827a

And also a USB C - C extension cord: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y25Y6W...d.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&asc_contenttype=article

Note that in the Apple Computer world it's referred to as Thunderbolt 3 and comes with their current devices. I'll be using/leaving same that came with my iPhone 12 in my ID.4 (I've got a drawer full of their A - C which are now pretty much obsolete for me; the price of progress).

·
215 Posts
A couple of years ago the electronics industry agreed to standardize the USB plug. I knew this would be fully adopted when Apple agreed to it. The question remains, will the car read the input from the device connected to the USB-C?

·
108 Posts
As far as USB-C goes that refers to the connector (And speed and power levels available at the connector) e.g. My current car has USB-A ports (almost certainly what you have as well). USB-C is a different port physically. You will need to either purchase an (inexpensive) USB A/C adapter to use your current thumb drives or move to newer USB-C thumb drives
Yeah, my 2016 Edge has the USB-A ports and buying an adapter is easy enough to do, but can you / anyone explain what the "C's" do that is different from the "A's"? Also as has been asked in this thread, will an "A" docked into a "C" still play its content? Also, do we indeed know for sure that the USA models will have the USB-C's? I have read that the Ford Mach-E will have both type ports.

·
215 Posts
Based on the information provided to us on the VW site, the car will have USB-C. When I sat in the car, I believe that I remember it having the USB-C port. And it has been the increasing standard the last couple of years. I am curious how many people are using a physical device other than their phone to provide music?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,197 Posts
I'm currently using an SDHC card for my tunes, since my 'free' 4-year Sirius ran out. Hmmmm ... I wonder if the ID.4 will have a slot? But iPhone plug-in or BT will be fine too.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
399 Posts
I'm currently using an SDHC card for my tunes, since my 'free' 4-year Sirius ran out. Hmmmm ... I wonder if the ID.4 will have a slot? But iPhone plug-in or BT will be fine too.
I have one like this that should work on any USB-C and adapt to your card,

Reactions: Huey52

·
2017 Chevrolet Bolt, 1994 Nissan 300ZX
27 Posts
Yeah, my 2016 Edge has the USB-A ports and buying an adapter is easy enough to do, but can you / anyone explain what the "C's" do that is different from the "A's"? Also as has been asked in this thread, will an "A" docked into a "C" still play its content? Also, do we indeed know for sure that the USA models will have the USB-C's? I have read that the Ford Mach-E will have both type ports.
The difference with C vs A is physical, C is smaller and reversible (i.e. there is no wrong way to plug it in) C also supports devices that draw more power from the USB port (assuming the power is there to draw) Similarly, C supports higher data rates (although that depends on what USB standard the port is using. Higher data rates are not really needed for the data rate audio uses).
An A docked to a C should still play the content. The C standard is backwards compatible with A. What will be the most likely deciding factors are the format on the thumb drive plugged into the A/C adapter and the format of the music files. Those will need to be formats that the Infotainment software supports.

·
108 Posts
The difference with C vs A is physical, C is smaller and reversible (i.e. there is no wrong way to plug it in) C also supports devices that draw more power from the USB port (assuming the power is there to draw) Similarly, C supports higher data rates (although that depends on what USB standard the port is using. Higher data rates are not really needed for the data rate audio uses).
An A docked to a C should still play the content. The C standard is backwards compatible with A. What will be the most likely deciding factors are the format on the thumb drive plugged into the A/C adapter and the format of the music files. Those will need to be formats that the Infotainment software supports.
Thanks for the explanation Stuart!

·
Proud FE owner
970 Posts
Here is the section regarding "Media Mode" from the European owner's manual:
In media mode, you can play media files from data media and streaming services on the Infotainment system.

With some equipment levels, the following data media can be used:
— USB data medium, e.g. USB stick.
— Bluetooth device, e.g. mobile device.

With some equipment levels, the following types of media files can be played back:
— Audio files, e.g. music.
— Video files
Video is interesting. Maybe you can catch a bit of a movie while parked.

·
140 Posts
It’s interesting that both my current vehicles still support iPods. my second vehicle is a 2018 model. But I think the time is finally here when iPods are no longer supported. Tesla is of course going one step further and enabling Streaming In the car interface. I guess I’m still old school and actually have a physical music collection.

·
47 Posts
I can suggest everyone to look at Plex media server and use plexamp with android auto / Carplay.
With this combination, you can have access to your music library and ingest your Tidal music into it, this is very handy in the car..

·
140 Posts
#
I can suggest everyone to look at Plex media server and use plexamp with android auto / Carplay.
With this combination, you can have access to your music library and ingest your Tidal music into it, this is very handy in the car..
I have Plex for ripped dvds at home on a NAS ( and Roon/tidal for music ) but have been nervous about opening up the port on my firewall. I hadn’t checked on music coverage via Plex but that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts