Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the car set to charge to a maximum of 80%, and plugged into my Juicebox 40 - I guess my expectation was that when the car hit 80%, that it would stop charging. That's the behavior I was used to when I had the Kona.

But this didn't happen - it just kept going. I had to manually stop it (ended up at around 83%).

Anyone else seeing this?

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
225 Posts
I had the car set to charge to a maximum of 80%, and plugged into my Juicebox 40 - I guess my expectation was that when the car hit 80%, that it would stop charging. That's the behavior I was used to when I had the Kona.

But this didn't happen - it just kept going. I had to manually stop it (ended up at around 83%).

Anyone else seeing this?
From day one, mine stops at 80% both yesterday and today.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
225 Posts
Are there different charge limits for AC and DC? I only saw the one slider.
I haven't done the DC yet. For a moment, mine did not charge either. I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in after 10 sec. Now is charging.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
Yes, first time mine went to 100% as I too had changed the limit in-vehicle after the fact. Since then 80%.

I think the problem was that I changed the limit after having plugged in. Something to check for next time.

·
53 Posts
I think what happened to me is I set it to 80% when I got the car before ever plugging it in. Second night I set up my home location and I think that’s what caused it to go back to 100%. Reset to 80 and hope will stay there now.

·
ID4 1st Edition
87 Posts
Has anyone figured a way to set a fixed charging schedule in the car? Say 12am to 6pm. I set a schedule under 'preferred times' but that does not kick off the charging at all! I assume somehow I need to use the departure time to achieve this? The manual is not at all helpful :(. I previously had a Kona EV, and that was way straightforward.

·
98 Posts
Has anyone figured a way to set a fixed charging schedule in the car? Say 12am to 6pm. I set a schedule under 'preferred times' but that does not kick off the charging at all! I assume somehow I need to use the departure time to achieve this? The manual is not at all helpful :(. I previously had a Kona EV, and that was way straightforward.
Well that's worrisome. I bought a "dumb" charger because I read the car could manage this.

I hope you figure this out. Please update us if you do.

·
ID4 1st Edition
87 Posts
And that's my problem too. I have a dumb 24amp charger which I plugged into my dryer outlet. Well it seems the 'preferred times' settings did not help. However yesterday night I set the departure time to 6am. It seems the car uses that as the end time and then decides the start time based on how much charge is needed to reach the max charge limit. I was at 62% when i plugged in (around 10pm) and set the car to charge to 100%. However it only charged to 78%. So it looks like the car did a poor estimation of when to start charging. Geez I really hope VW gives us the ability to create a proper schedule soon.

·
ID4 1st Edition
87 Posts
And hope they add that capability to the carnet app. All the app can do now is start and stop charging.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
138 Posts
Here's what I've got so far with my FE set to 80% and a departure time of 7:00am:
1) the first time it ran out of time at 64%
2) the second day it started earlier (5:25am) but I walked into the garage with the fob in my pocket (No, I didn't touch any of the doors or buttons on the fob) and it only ran until I walked near it with the fob.
3) the third day, it started at 5:10am and finished at 80% at 6:39am (21 minutes before the scheduled departure time)

I think that it is doing some learning and getting better at prediction. I'm willing to give it a couple of weeks to figure my habits out and see how well it works after that.

The one REALLY BIG take-away was what happened on Day 2 - the whole schedule and readiness and plan seems to go haywire if someone just walks into the vicinity of the ID.4 with the FOB in their possession. This I'm not thrilled about and will start another thread "FOB Presence disrupts scheduled charging" where we can discuss that.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first time you do this, it won't have any idea what the max charge rate of your EVSE is. It might assume 11kW, but if your EVSE can only deliver 10, it will run out of time.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,051 Posts
The one REALLY BIG take-away was what happened on Day 2 - the whole schedule and readiness and plan seems to go haywire if someone just walks into the vicinity of the ID.4 with the FOB in their possession. This I'm not thrilled about and will start another thread "FOB Presence disrupts scheduled charging" where we can discuss that.
That's going to be interesting. My garage is adjacent to our living room, and the sofa is literally 6 ft away from the car separated by a regular wall made from 2x6es and drywall. I don't always have the car key on me, but there's no guarantee that I won't when sitting on the sofa while the car should be charging.

·
7 Posts
Go to the Vehicle item on the infotainment display and select Charging.
Thanks TPG. Before I saw your reply I succeeded setting an 80% limit using the CarNet app. There seem to be several ways of doing it but that method worked for me. Thanks again for responding.

·
96 Posts

Anyone else seeing this?
Yes, I had something like this happen to me. Car-Net app was set at 80% and working just fine since delivery. Than one day while charging at home, L2, I saw the charge was at 92% and still charging. I immediately stopped the charge with the app and unplugged.
At this point it’s a mystery what caused the change. My Car-Net app setting is still limited at 80% but if not monitored the car will charge beyond that. I have not yet checked what the infotainment screen says under charging.
In my opinion, the charging level should be controlled from one source, either the car or the app, otherwise you can be chasing your tail trying to figure out what to adjust. If set to 80% on the app than the car infotainment/charge should match it automatically.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts