Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

ID4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How is everyone's average consumption so far? I am at 3mi/kwh after 260 miles. This is about 60/40 city/freeway (around 75mph fwy). I live in a hilly area with temperatures ranging from 50f to 80f. I alternate between comfort and sport mode.

At 60/40 highway/city (my commute is turnpike-style highway, half US-1 in NJ), I'm right at 3 mi/kwh. It seems like everyone is right at this number with most mixed driving patterns.

How fast is everyone driving on the highway? I was really hoping that the ID.4 RWD was going to get 3.5 mi/kWh+ in mixed driving. Getting the AWD which will be even lower.

How fast is everyone driving on the highway? I was really hoping that the ID.4 RWD was going to get 3.5 mi/kWh+ in mixed driving. Getting the AWD which will be even lower.
EVs actually do better in city driving than they do on the highway. A little backwards coming from an ICE but thats how it is.

ID.4 1st Edition - del 3/18/21

PA temps have been between 35-65F over the past few weeks. 60% local and 40% highway so far.

Proud FE owner
I'm at 3.2 with about 60/40 city to freeway driving. I've had several occasions where I sat idle with A/C running while waiting for my daughter more 30 mins+ at a time. I mostly drive in ECO/B mode.

Reactions: egsell

ID4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting how everyone is consistently around the 3mi/kwh mark!

It refers to the efficiency. Battery is 77 kWh, so at 3 miles per kWh it is 230 miles as said above. You may also see people talk in Wh/ mile. So for example 300 Wh/mile equates to 3.3 miles/kWh (1/.3).

It refers to the efficiency. Battery is 77 kWh, so at 3 miles per kWh it is 230 miles as said above. You may also see people talk in Wh/ mile. So for example 300 Wh/mile equates to 3.3 miles/kWh (1/.3).
Thanks for the info, I now understand.

2021 Pro AWD
Does EV efficiency tend to have a "break in period" like a gasser due to mechanical factors? I think this is mostly driven by the engine break-in in ICE vehicles, but I assume there's some improvement as as tires, bearings/moving parts get some miles on them? or does efficiency stay fairly fixed in EV (not counting software updates) ?

Also what's tesla model Y dual motor real world efficiency in miles / kw? I was seeing around 4

ID.4 Pro S AWD
Does EV efficiency tend to have a "break in period" like a gasser due to mechanical factors? I think this is mostly driven by the engine break-in in ICE vehicles, but I assume there's some improvement as as tires, bearings/moving parts get some miles on them? or does efficiency stay fairly fixed in EV (not counting software updates) ?

Also what's tesla model Y dual motor real world efficiency in miles / kw? I was seeing around 4
EVs don't have a break in period, however, "EV drivers" do! I feel as you start driving an EV more, you start learning the nuances for improving efficiency and over time your efficiency will improve.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts