Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
421 Posts
EVs don't have a break in period, however, "EV drivers" do! I feel as you start driving an EV more, you start learning the nuances for improving efficiency and over time your efficiency will improve.
I think having over 230,000 miles on Toyota Hybrid helps too.

Was hoping to see someone have 4+ miles/kWh. Last time I checked I had around 4.5-5 miles/kWh on my e-Golf.

·
49 Posts

Was hoping to see someone have 4+ miles/kWh. Last time I checked I had around 4.5-5 miles/kWh on my e-Golf.
I think if we solely used the car in city driving 4+ is achievable but with any highway mix I just don’t see how it would be possible.

·
421 Posts
I think if we solely used the car in city driving 4+ is achievable but with any highway mix I just don’t see how it would be possible.
I think that I am around 70-80% of my miles (minus 6 or so road trips a year) would be considered “city” driving.

Also, my threshold for not turning on the heat is higher (really lower) than most. I will run just the heated seats at 20-30 F out. Really looking forward to heated steering wheel.

·
222 Posts

Here's a drive in Holland that yielded 4.3 miles/kWH, mix of highway and city:

·
26 Posts
After around 400 miles - 3kw/hr, 40-60 deg and 60/40 city/freeway.
Oh I keep highway speeds around 65-70. As it is known, speed makes a pretty big difference range-wise.

It's interesting to now notice all the ICE vehicles hauling ass, passing me and driving like speed doesn't play any part in their efficiency. Then again I drove a hybrid for 13 years prior so being efficient isn't new to me.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
626 Posts
I was driving today - after about an hour I was at 4.1, but then I hit a section of road with 65mph speed limit (meaning people drive 75). I think after 3 hours I was at 3.8 or 3.9.

·
33 Posts
As the temperature warmed (and the traffic has increased slightly), my consumption has improved a fair amount. In my latest 80 or so miles of driving, my averages have increased up to 3.8 mi/kwh with the most recent commutes pulling 4 mi/kwh driving just around 40mph on average in mixed settings. I've yet to take it out on an extended highway drive, but I'm looking forward to doing a small trip down to south Jersey or Philly over the weekend after fully charging via DCFC and then seeing how we end up in terms of efficiency on our 70-80 mile journey at higher speeds.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
383 Posts
I was driving today - after about an hour I was at 4.1, but then ...
With the 4.1 kWh/mi we would have our first 300+ mile range at 77*4.1= 315.7 miles. Now if only that were sustainable over the entire 77 kWh.

Reactions: salant76

·
ID 4 First Edition - Black
53 Posts
Im nearing 600mi and so far 3.2kWh/mi - As I adjust and it warms up I expect that will climb a little But that puts me basically at the expected EPA.

·
2021 1st
352 Posts

I was around there on my eGolf, as well, but I'm sub-3 in the ID4. I've been driving it like my GTI: heavy footed and wringing it for all its got. Infrequently, and not for very long, I'd let it rip in the eGolf; I haven't been able to stop with the ID4. It's hard for me to do with a 77kWh battery but I'll re-learn my technique over time. I never drove my eGolf at 75-80mph for 100+ miles because it wasn't even a possibility. I don't attribute my (lack of) efficiency to the vehicle.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts