Volkswagen ID Forum banner

AWD hitch size

8K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  SunWizard 
#1 ·
Have my ordering for awd pro s and wondering if the hitch will also be 1.25 inch?

#2 ·
All ID.4 hitch receivers are 1.25 inch.

Reactions: theboomr and DWalk
#7 ·
Me too - I don't want to buy a new bike rack. It looks like a pretty simple bolt on/off item. I'll have to ask around some fabrication shops and see. Would probably be cheaper than buying a new rack! If i was doing the fabricating I would be mildly nervous about the liability of such a critical component though. 🤷‍♂️

#8 ·
I'm researching this for my RWD Pro right now. A hitch isn't available in the Accessory system yet but the First Edition came with a 1.25" receiver so we can presumably determine the bolt pattern. I got a dealership to send me this spec for the crossmember (11A-803-881A), where 'A' indicates it was produced before June 28, 2021.

The yellow one is selected in the list to the right.
I'm trying to figure out if install one of those on my 2021 ID4 Pro I can add a 2" receiver on that crossmember instead of the little 1.25" They may be limiting it to 1.25" (class 2) so people don't tow big things but I only want to put a 2 bike tray rack on (50 lbs plus weight of two bikes), and they're more stable on a 2" receiver. People with first editions may want to try to this too if they'd rather have a 2" receiver (acknowledging that the Crossmember is likely not spec'd for 2" so at your own risk).
Here's a photo of a First Edition hitch so presumably it'll look like that. There are four bolts around the 1.25" hitch so I'm hoping those could be removed and a 2" receiver coupling placed there instead.

I would need to find a 2" with that bolt pattern.
Here's one from an Atlas in the parking lot but i don't see the 4 bolt pattern around it unfortunately . Maybe some other 2" receiver has the matching 4 bolt pattern that'll match the 1.25" ID4 FE crossmember? Suggestions welcome

#9 ·
I'm researching this for my RWD Pro right now. A hitch isn't available in the Accessory system yet but the First Edition came with a 1.25" receiver so we can presumably determine the bolt pattern. I got a dealership to send me this spec for the crossmember (11A-803-881A), where 'A' indicates it was produced before June 28, 2021.

View attachment 4240
The yellow one is selected in the list to the right.
I'm trying to figure out if install one of those on my 2021 ID4 Pro I can add a 2" receiver on that crossmember instead of the little 1.25" They may be limiting it to 1.25" (class 2) so people don't tow big things but I only want to put a 2 bike tray rack on (50 lbs plus weight of two bikes), and they're more stable on a 2" receiver. People with first editions may want to try to this too if they'd rather have a 2" receiver (acknowledging that the Crossmember is likely not spec'd for 2" so at your own risk).
Here's a photo of a First Edition hitch so presumably it'll look like that. There are four bolts around the 1.25" hitch so I'm hoping those could be removed and a 2" receiver coupling placed there instead.
View attachment 4241

I would need to find a 2" with that bolt pattern.
Here's one from an Atlas in the parking lot but i don't see the 4 bolt pattern around it unfortunately . Maybe some other 2" receiver has the matching 4 bolt pattern that'll match the 1.25" ID4 FE crossmember? Suggestions welcome
View attachment 4242
I think our best chance is to wait until the aftermarket catches on unfortunately.

#14 ·
What's the tongue rating on the stock hitch?
I too prefer 2 inch for bike rack.

The four bolt spacing looks a little tight to fit a 2 inch receiver of identical straight drop down design? but we'll see what the aftermarket comes up with.

Can always use an expander with extension but increases tongue weight, usually adds wobble, and can look a little goofy

#18 ·
Another thing to keep in mind, based on the manual, there is also a limit of how far back the weight can be. If memory serves me, the max the 270lbs can be from the receiver is 7". If the weight is back 14", you are limited to 135lbs.

#21 ·
Instructions with $11 part# links and photos:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.